• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Scab?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gee thanks for the info...I'm not in ALPA I fly overseas now...but I never crossed a picket line even though the opportunity presented itself in the 80's twice...but lots of folks that did cross a picket line are now in ALPA..enlighten me how does that work???

You must do pennance by kissing Captain Woerth's ring and then performing trash collection and landscaping duties at ALPA headquarters on your days off.

Rule number 1: ALPA is always right.
Rule number 2: Do not question ALPA. If you feel the need to do so, refer to rule number 1.

General membership information:
Management is out to get you. They have bugged the cockpit, crew room, and your hotel room. Be very afraid. They want to sign a TA that allows for paycuts and double-secret probation for all existing crewmembers.
(Once again, just kidding. Rembember, SJS is good, and props are for boats.)

Did he cross a strike picket line?

If the answer is NO, then that rules out the term SCAB. People overuse that term so much that the original meaning is diluted almost to the point where it doesn't mean much.

Though it doesn't apply in this case, the term isn't as overused as one might think.

Main Entry: scab
Function: noun
1 : a worker who refuses to join a labor union
2 : a union member who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended
3 : a worker who accepts employment or replaces a union worker during a strike : [SIZE=-1]STRIKE BREAKER[/SIZE]
4 : one who works for less than union wages or on nonunion terms
Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

My answer to Jack's question would be, that it is unethical to end-around the union contract, but in this case you have not given us enough information to determine if that is the case. Where do you work? What are your call-out rules? Are there any call-out rules? Do you have access to the sceduling system, to determine that someone was called out of order?

At my company there is a defined order of call-out and you can clearly see if that order has been broken (if you are looking, of course). On several occasions I have called to have an assignment changed that was awarded to someone else in error. I've even gotten credit for trips that I didn't fly, because I brought it to their attention. The bottom line is that you should not trust scheduling to follow your contract. They are human, and they have a crappy job (they actually make less money than you, scary isn't it?), so they make mistakes. Just like every profession, there are good scedulers and bad ones. Unfortunately the good ones go on to be dispatchers and pilots, so mistakes continue to be made.

On the whole, I would have to say that "scab" is entirely inappropriate for this conversation.

On a lighter note...

I saw a pilot pick up a news paper from outside a hotel door that wasn't his, does this make him a scab?

On a lighter note...

I saw a pilot pick up a news paper from outside a hotel door that wasn't his, does this make him a scab?

In the above situation, he would only be a scab if he also failed to tip the van driver a dollar. UNLESS, he was wearing his hat, if he was, he would not be a scab regardless of the driver tip.

On a lighter note...

Let's say that the dude taking the paper goes by Bob; and the dude on the other side of the door goes by Antoine. Let's just say that.
Bob works for dontGoJet, and Antoine--for TranyStates.
Yes, Bob is a scab. He's stealing Antoine's newspaper.
That's my analogy.

Let's say that the dude taking the paper goes by Bob; and the dude on the other side of the door goes by Antoine. Let's just say that.
Bob works for dontGoJet, and Antoine--for TranyStates.
Yes, Bob is a scab. He's stealing Antoine's newspaper.
That's my analogy.

But who was wearing their pilot hat?

But who was wearing their pilot hat?

Neither--when indoors one shall not wear covers (airport terminal excluded). As they are both in the hotel hall/room, neither would wear their cover (hat).

Hope that shines a light on the debate about hat wearing.

GO ЦСКА!

Latest resources

Back