Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JumpersAway

Cruise Bores Me.......
Are the new rest rules slated to go into effect in August, and if so, does anyone know what the stipulation is on commuting? Someone was telling me you had to commute in the day before your scheduled flight. I could understand this if you were four time zones over, but not if you were in the same one.

Are the new rest rules slated to go into effect in August, and if so, does anyone know what the stipulation is on commuting? Someone was telling me you had to commute in the day before your scheduled flight. I could understand this if you were four time zones over, but not if you were in the same one.

Well to play devil's advocate, shouldn't it count towards "duty time" if you do it the day of your trip? What's the difference? We need to be careful what we wish for....

I'll say this: I bet I get way more rest waking up at 500am and sleeping on my 2 hour commute than some guy getting up at 500am, taking the kids to school, running errands, mowing the lawn, whatever in base before his show time...

Ditto.. I also heard they are not happening, RAA has coughed up enough cash to stop them along with ALPA fighting them also, why I'll never understand.

I haven't read them since they initially came out but I am almost certain that there were no specific rules concerning commuting.

I haven't read them since they initially came out but I am almost certain that there were no specific rules concerning commuting.

I didn't recall any either. Someone kept pushing a discussion regarding them with me, and spewing some stuff that I didn't recall, nor did I think were correct. Thanks for the clarification and useful input/post. Hmmmm- FlightInfo might actually serve a useful purpose on occasion : )

There was a short provision buried in the proposed rules which stated that commuting time is not rest, and directed the airlines to enforce it.

Taken at face value that means effectively your duty time starts with your commute (since you need look-back rest).

I'm hoping that provision goes away, since it would be very confusing to try to comply with. What is commuting? Driving to work? How do you avoid that? This would actually force more people to arrive the night before, sleep in the crew room for 4-5 hours, get woken up by the early crews, then wander the airport like zombies while they run out the clock between their commute and show time. What a crock...

Funny how sleepy controllers got the press and Congress involved...They changed the rules overnight, and we get screwed because the airlines don't have a "printing press" in the backroom printing $100.00 bill. Single-level of safety...for whom does this truly apply to and when?

Latest resources

Back