Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VNugget

suck squeeze bang blow
Well, here is my situation. I graduated high school in 2001 (in San Jose, Calif.) and have been wallowing in community college without any clear plans since. I had the vague intention of transferring to a 4-year college to get a BS in computer science, but was never really serious or enthusiastic about it.

Recently, I made the realization that aviation will most definitely be my career. In the past week or so, I have been doing a ton of reading (especially this messge board) and learned a bit about the career paths that different pilots take. Like most of you, I have an incredible love for flying, and would be extatic if I end up doing ANYTHING up in the air for a living... all the way from dusting crops to flying "heavy metal" for the majors. (Well, maybe except for that cropdusting thing... it looks like fun but I hear the pay isn't so great. And I know not to expect anything to do with the majors anytime soon.)

I got all kinds of crazy ideas, about ERAU and such, but those quickly fizzed away, as my family isn't made of money. Now I have formulated some other plans, but more on that later.

From all the reading I've done, it seems that most people bootstrap their aviation career by CFI-ing (on the side of either going to school or working another job and living on ramen noodles, in classic starving artist fashion) to build up hours with which to move on to higher levels of the ladder. (ermm.. "branches of the tree" seems more appropriate.)

This is where my situation in particular comes into focus. I recently found out that a local community college, Foothill College, has an aviation program, and is in giving ground school classes for every type of cert -- up to and including ATP. In fact, I already signed up for PPL ground school next quarter (beginning Jan 6), which, for both quarters, will cost me exactly $42... much cheaper than any of the local FBOs. When that's done next summer, I will take the actual flight lessons, and fly often so as to spend less hours (meanwhile living at home and throwing all my cash from my part-time job, along with any needed help from my parents, into school and flying lessons). Up to that point, my plans are clear.

However, after that several decision trees open up.

1. I know for sure that I'm getting a 4-year degree, but now I am not sure which kind. When I decided to go for an aviation career, (and was initially thinking about ERAU) an Aeronautical Science BS seemed natural enough. However,it seems to be the opinion of many that aviation jobs do not care what kind of degree someone has, only that he has one that shows he can manage hard studying, and it is actally preferrable to get a non-aviation degree so as to expand your horizon and have a bit of a backup in case the worst happens. So, any insight into this issue? Either way, I will transfer to San Jose State and get a BS either in Computer Science or Aviation Technology there. I will not be making the transfer immediately, so I have some time to mull it over, but I'd like to start gathering insight now.

2. CFI. Unless someone here talks me out of it, it looks like I will take the "standard" path and start CFI'ing early on to a) build hours, b) learn more about flying, c) meet people in the industry and "open doors", and d) make some cash for school and flying. I don't know whether I will have yet transferred to San Jose State at that time, and I will still probably be living at home, since as I understand it, the CFI life (and aviation in general, nowadays) is very tough and I will NOT be able to bring in enough money to fully support myself. I become especially worried by looking at all the CFIs at RHV who have years and years and millions of hours of experience... how will I be able to compete with people like that for students? Now, as for my actual question: Should I get the CFI certificate as soon as possible and start instructing to make money for college and further training, or should I stick with my current part-time job and get a couple of ratings, such as instrument, commercial, and multi first so I have some more experience befor I start instructing?

Bah, well it seems I got caught up in my writing and already forgot half the questions I was going to ask, but I will post the rest as they clarify and come back to me. Anyway, if you have read this far and are able to answer some of my questions and/or give me some advice, I appreciate it a LOT :)

It would also be great if it just so happened that one of you lives in or around the San Jose/RHV area; maybe we could get together over a cup of coffee (or a flight yoke) and chat about flying.

Career preparation

First off, I like your attitude about willing to do anything as a pilot. I hope you maintain that attitude because humility will get you far in this business. So many people say that unless they get an RJ FO job immediately out of flight school at 200 hours they will give up. That is unrealistic and faulty thinking. It just doesn't work that way - despite what the flight school "career consultants" try to tell you.

I like the idea of you going to your junior college to earn your ratings. It is essentially a given that you need a B.S. or B.A. to be the least bit competitive for the majors. People will argue. Just search the topic on the board. It is not impossible to be hired at the airlines with less than a four-year degree, but, face it. Competition for the very few jobs to be had with the majors is fierce, and will be more fierce, especially if United goes under and turns loose more qualified and experienced pilots. The airlines are looking primarily for the degree. You have to present the best quals possible and the degree is one of them.

Now, I'm in the minority about liking an Aeronautical Science degree. I flight instructed at ERAU and was always impressed with the education our flight students received. I believe that one can do quite a few things in aviation and outside if one has the degree. But, there's nothing at all wrong with getting the degree in another major. Lots of pilots major in Computer Science. Some major in Meteorology, which is logical because weather is so important to pilots. But, with the courses needed for a met degree, such as physics, math, etc., you can do such things as teach school if you must. Business Administration is another good major. But, if you like English, there's nothing wrong with majoring in that.

You also have the right idea by earning your CFI and going to work as an instructor to build hours. People who believe that they can get a non-instructing flying job right out of school at 200 hours aren't being realistic. CFI is the traditional entry-level job. Don't worry about all the others instructors with their years and years and millions of hours of experience. They were all new instructors at one time. You will be able to compete. All you will need is a chance.

Whether you decide to finish everything right away and instruct while finishing college would depend a lot on how well you can manage your time. Learning to fly requires a serious commitment. Finishing your ratings efficiently requires a similar commitment. So many people start flying and intend to go to and/or finish college. They get caught up with working and flying and building experience and think less and less about college. The farther away they are from school mode, the harder it is for them to go to college. Therefore, I suggest that people go to college while still in school mode before starting to fly.

I think that you're on the right track. For sure, follow the economy and aviation hiring trends.

Good luck with your plans.

Aeronautical Science Degree

You're not quite in the minority about the air science program. My opinion is that you should major in what you love. It's a lot easier to get the good grades that will open doors after school when you enjoy going to class vs. dragging yourself through boring subjects and just getting by to ensure you have a backup incase you poke your eye out or something like that.

All good arguments to have that back up, just wouldn't have worked for me persoanlly.

Oh, and about the CFI... yes. I got mine when I was 19 and started instructing fraternity brothers. By the time I graduated I had enough hours to interview for a chief flight instructor position at a busy FBO (and even got the job).

Last edited:
VNugget

Sounds to me like you have a good plan. Get the CFI rating in the next year or so, then instruct your last couple years in college. When you graduate, you may be able to move on to a regional or 135 job.

Another option would be the military if that interest you.

VNugget-

Send me a PM and maybe we can meet for lunch or shoot 9 holes.

Your story sounds exactly like mine 15yrs ago. I too went to Foothill and SJSU, taught at RHV and still live in San Jose.

I have already followed the route that you seem to want to follow and hope I can help you out. I still work with some of the students at SJSU so I can share some first hand experiences with you.

Good luck with your decisions!

Cheers!

GP

....31 days and counting.... :(

Thank you all for your responses so far. (GuppyPuppy, I got your PM and thanks for the offer; I sent a reply and I'll take you up on it)

I have to run now, but will reply in detail tonight.

Finish college and get a back up. You're heading the right direction. Follow your dreams BUT.....be prepared, be very prepared to face today's market. Make no mistake about it, it's a very tough one that can even break long term dreams if you're not careful!!

Just being honest:confused:

VNugget, I know exactly how you feel. Trying to sort out all this degree thing along with flying has driven me mad. I'm in the same position as you. Trying to balance out flying with college. I want to fly as much as possible. If I got my commercials after I graduated, I could already have a flying job. I don't care what it is just as long as it involves an airplane and builds me lots of time. My dream of course is to fly for somebody like Air Canada but I don't expect that for at least 13 years when I'm 30. That's when I hope to accomplish it. I have a idea of what I'm going to do. Here in Canada, the airlines are not as picky about 4 year degrees as the USA is (no offence but its true.) What I'm probably going to do is get a diploma in aviation and fly at the same time. Air Canada looks at a deploma being enough. The hireing system goes by points here and I heard that having a degree is only worth 1 point compared to something like 40 points for flying experience. This doesen't mean that I won't get a degree I might still, I'm not leaving out the option.

I plan to have my private pilots license by spring I hope. After I finish high school, I plan to work for a year to earn some money for collage and flight training. I know allot of people will probably bite my head off for this, but I may just concentrate on flying after I get out of high school. I go to a Canadian pilot board and their responses to this whole degree thing is completely different from what I got here. As far as the Canadian airlines are concerned, they just want people to be able to fly an airplane if your applying for them. The degree does help sometimes. In Canada its not required, its just an extra point. Some pilots even said that getting a degree was their biggest mistake they have ever made. When they could have had thousands of hours of flying time, it all went on getting the degree. What I'm going to do is get at least a diploma and if I really need a degree, I will finish it up at college but for now, my big passion lies for flying. This is just what my heart tells me to do and I think I should listen to my instincts. Don't get too confused with this whole degree thing like I did. In Canada, people only tell you to get a degree if your flying so that if you loose your job, you have something to fall back on. What I don't get is why do you want to get a degree that you hope to never use? Canada doesn't have as much layoffs in the airline industry as the USA does. I probably won't loose my job. I'm not being cocky or anything by all means I know I could loose my job at any time but I'm not going to worry about it and not have any fun. If I need the degree then I will get it. I'm not sure at this point. I won't know till later on till I'm more established in my flying. One of the questions I asked was does anybody have any proff that a degree does get you hired more easily? Not many people had an answer to this question.

Not to brag that Canada is a better country or anything. By all means I didn't mean to offend anybody but the differences in the airline industry compared to both countries is shockingly different. Why does the USA have so many layoffs and why is it so competitive there? We didn't have any furloughes after sept 11 and there's actually a pilot shortage here in Canada so the airlines are hiring. We did have one airline that went bankrupt for some reason, but this was before sept 11. It doesn't happen that often in Canada. I doubt that Air Canada would ever go bankrupt too because they are owned by the government. All I'm saying is that the Canadian airlines are not economy based like the USA is. Were more government based. I don't know if that is good or bad. It almost seems like its better because even when the economy is bad, there won't be any layoffs. The competition seems to be less as well although you will always get competition in every job but the way you guys make it sound, you would have to be Chuck Yeager in order to beat the next guy to get hired. Maybe its because there is less people here? There is more people in California then there is in all of Canada!

By the way VNugget, your birthday is on the same day as mine! Only I was born in 1985 instead of 1983. What a small world:p

Last edited:
Nugget:

Good attitude kid, you are thinking in the right direction. My only advice is to stay away from degrees in any way related to aviation.

Assume the worst that your aviation career will not pan out and decide what you'd rather do in that scenario. Bottom line is you must have a degree that you can do something with to make a decent living. I can assure you, flying jobs aside, no one outside of aviation cares about aviation related programs. You said it yourself and you are correct, the majors do not care what the degree is in.

I also believe this will be a very tough industry for the forseable future. I think it is imperative to have a good, solid backup plan.

If you're serious about this, I would also invest in a 1st class medical with EKG from a good FAA aeromedical examiner. There is no sense in proceeding any further if you have a disqualifying medical condition.

Finally, I am partial to the military route. Didn't cost me a dime in learning to fly and I flew an awesome airplane. Training was fun as well. Nothing in the civilian world can compare to the type of flying you do in military pilot training.

Good luck

Re the military: I would absolutely love to fly for the military. (In fact it's what I thought about first, before going into thoughts about a civilian career) However, I believe I missed the boat on military flying a couple of years ago when I started doing horrible in high school. Not only did I drop from a 3.8 GPA to mostly C's and D's in senior year, (that's a whoole 'nother story) but I never really did anything that would demonstrate "leadership" or community service, (such as CAP and whatnot) which probably won't put me at the top of any selection list. Not to mention my bad eyesight (which disqualifies me from flying fighter jets) and my mild asthma (which disqualifies me from the USAF to begin with.) Oh, and let's not forget the teeny little detail of me not becoming a US Citizen for another 3 or 4 years.

On the flipside, I did get a 93rd percentile score on the ASVAB and I still need to see a recruiter (and maybe take a MEPS medical) about all my options, just to be absolutely sure. (and probably put the last nail in the coffin :( )

Now, returning to my current situation... part of my question about getting certs before becomnig a CFI answered itself, since I fond out that having a commmercial license is a prerequisite for CFI. Furthermore, you need 250 hours logged as a requirement for commercial, right? Let's say that I spend a nice 50 hours getting my private and spending around, oh, $5500 on it. Then, I'd need 200 more hours, * $60/hr for a 152, that's $12000, (not even counting instruction for CML) yikes:eek:! It looks like I was quite a bit disillusioned and will have to stick with my current part-time job for a lot longer than I originally planned.

As for what type of degree to get, I'm getting a lot of mixed advice, and probably won't decide for a while longer. One thing that kind of urks me, is that I was originally planning on a Computer Science degre as I mentioned in my original post, but I'm sure that you have heard a thing or 2 about the tech industry as of late. Looks like if I go that way, it won't act that great as a "backup."

(My opinion on this flips back and forth every half hour, but) right now I am a little bit more inclined to go for an aviation degree, since I will have more fun (and thus less "work") doing it, and become a better pilot because of it. This will also mean that I place more of my life resources and energy into aviation and would be that much closer to success, rather than spreading them around. On the other hand, as Boeingman and Minime pointed out,(thanks for your honesty) I would also have that much farther to fall in the case of failure. I guess you could call it a gamble, and life isn't something to gamble with, but flying is most definitely my life's biggest dream, and at this point I can't really see myself doing anything else to earn a living (in the long run).

I am looking forward to meeting GuppyPuppy and finding out about SJSU's aviation program, among other things.

And Adam, I don't know a lot of details about The Way Things Are(tm) up there in Canada, but I hope you use sound judgement and wish you good luck in your endevours also. Cool observation about the birthdays, too. :)

And once again, thanks to all of you for replies and avice!

- Vess

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back