• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Orleans... very sad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd like to echo the comments of the others here. As I watched the footage yesterday, I was humbled. The gentleman who was hacking into a rooftop to answer the call of a scared individual trapped within the house was awe-inspiring.

If you're ever in the DC area, I'd be honored to buy you a beer.

Thank you.

Don

I wonder if New Orleans might be a Dead City. Its going to be months before any one can move back. They basically have to rebuild the whole infrastructure, Water, electrics, Sewage. The place is a septic night mare.

Hopefully its like Chicago after the Fire. Rebuilt better than before.

I'm sorry, but call me heartless if you must.

I have absolutely NO SYMPATHY for those who chose not to evacuate. Knowing that New Orleans is that close to the sea, and that it is below sea level with a Cat IV hurricane headed directly for it... You have to be a complete idiot to remain.

Now that being said, for those who did evacuate, or those who absolutely could not evacuate or attempted to I wish the best of luck.

Maybe the oil companies can donate $ to the relief effort since they were alreay making record profits and the price of gas just went up 30 cents here today. Sorry to be bitter but no one should profit (OR LOOT-There should be a shoot to kill order for looters) from others misery and misfortune

One of the tough questions will be, SHOULD it be rebuilt? How much sense does it make to spend billions of dollars to rebuild a below sea level city that could experience the same thing when the next hurricane blows through?

Phoenix45 said:
I'm sorry, but call me heartless if you must.

I have absolutely NO SYMPATHY for those who chose not to evacuate. Knowing that New Orleans is that close to the sea, and that it is below sea level with a Cat IV hurricane headed directly for it... You have to be a complete idiot to remain.

Now that being said, for those who did evacuate, or those who absolutely could not evacuate or attempted to I wish the best of luck.

To enlighten you a little, some people could NOT evacuate. They had no means to. 28% of the city is below the poverty level. The majority of those that remained behind had no transportation of their own or no financial means to secure a ride out. The night before, the storm was a weak cat 2 storm, one that the city was capable of handling. There was also a sense of complacency as all the other 'major' storms either veered away or weakened in the cooler coastal waters. The people that had means to get out and didn't, it's their own fault, but a good portion of those that remained had no choice of their own to do so.

Anyway, the city will be rebuilt. However, most of the flooded buildings will be uninhabitable due to mold and other contamination and will need to be rebuilt back from scratch.

VampyreGTX said:
To enlighten you a little, some people could NOT evacuate. They had no means to. 28% of the city is below the poverty level. The majority of those that remained behind had no transportation of their own or no financial means to secure a ride out. The night before, the storm was a weak cat 2 storm, one that the city was capable of handling. There was also a sense of complacency as all the other 'major' storms either veered away or weakened in the cooler coastal waters. The people that had means to get out and didn't, it's their own fault, but a good portion of those that remained had no choice of their own to do so.

Anyway, the city will be rebuilt. However, most of the flooded buildings will be uninhabitable due to mold and other contamination and will need to be rebuilt back from scratch.

hence him stating

"Now that being said, for those who did evacuate, or those who absolutely could not evacuate or attempted to I wish the best of luck."

I believe that was the disclaimer.

Superpilot92 said:
hence him stating

"Now that being said, for those who did evacuate, or those who absolutely could not evacuate or attempted to I wish the best of luck."

I believe that was the disclaimer.

Doh... misread the second part of the statement. Guess I should get back to work now!

RunUp said:
One of the tough questions will be, SHOULD it be rebuilt? How much sense does it make to spend billions of dollars to rebuild a below sea level city that could experience the same thing when the next hurricane blows through?

yeah, that's been one of my questions as well..

Be safe on your next evac flight...any chance you can hang a couple grunts out of the doors with 60's or a SAW or maybe a 50 cal and do some strafing runs up and down the streets with the looters?

Latest resources

Back