New Orleans... very sad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mudkow60

I have never seen what I saw today. In New Orleans, thousands of folks trapped on the roofs of their houses. I have been a helo pilot for the Navy for 9 years, and was not ready to see what I saw today.

Just wanted to let everyone know that it is worse than what the news is showing. I felt helpless.. but our two helos combined saved 100 people today. In less than two hours.

Sorry to vent, but I have never seen a human tragedy before. Had to pass up folks on the roofs to rescue families as night was coming. Very sad...

Keep up the good work. Seeing all the looting and the reports of shootings now and attacks on cops, it's great to hear stories about the great job you guys are doing. You definitely are hero's, especially to all the people that you have saved and will save.

I saw a bad one in India when I was in the Army. Typhoon killed about 20,000 people. Tomorrow I'm supposed to fly over New Orleans for FEMA. Never thought I'd see something like that here. Met an old couple on the plane tonight from New Orleans. They lost it all, but were happy to still have each other. My boss still hasn't from his sister, and lots of his other family members lost their homes. It's going to be a long road to recovery that will affect the entire country.

Keep up the good work!

I have several clients in that area. I am worried about them. We also have people from this board that are in that area. One in particular is Daveman. Has anyone heard from him?

Kathy

My hat is off to you and your courageous compatriots, mudkow.

Before this is over with, we're all going to be affected in one way or another but you guys are among the few that are actually laying their lives on the line and doing something about it.

I believe this is a case where all of us who aren't involved in the rescue effort should send whatever we can afford to the Red Cross and specify that it's for the Katrina clean-up. This time, the money is badly needed right here at home and if that mess isn't cleaned up as quickly as possible, people will begin dying of diseases we haven't seen for 150 years or that they don't even have names for yet.

Mudkow, you guys be as careful as you can out there and know that your efforts are sincerely appreciated and applauded from one side of this country to the other.

Last edited:
One place I have heard that is matching donations is Lowe's Home Improvement. They will match donations, I believe made at their website, up to $1 million.

Just make sure that you give to a reputable organization. There will be all kinds of people out there trying to make money off the suffering of others.

Kathy

My area took a direct hit by both Frances and Jeanne in 2004. I thought living in a trailer next to my house for 6 months was bad. That was nothing compared to what is happening in LA, MS, and AL. Unless you have lived with nothing, you'll never know how much a few bags of ice, a case of water, and few MRE's can mean when the stores are closed for weeks on end.

The Red Cross was there for us, and they will be there for you if you need them. you can give at 1 (800) HELP NOW or www.redcross,org

Flylo is right...People are in need. You can help.

If you have ever received, please give.

Mudkow, thank you for your service.

UALHammer

mudkow60 said:
I have never seen what I saw today. In New Orleans, thousands of folks trapped on the roofs of their houses. I have been a helo pilot for the Navy for 9 years, and was not ready to see what I saw today.

Just wanted to let everyone know that it is worse than what the news is showing. I felt helpless.. but our two helos combined saved 100 people today. In less than two hours.

Sorry to vent, but I have never seen a human tragedy before. Had to pass up folks on the roofs to rescue families as night was coming. Very sad...

Last edited:
Hey mudkow60,

Thanks for the eyewitness report, and for your service to our country and to your fellow man. It's guys like you who make a difference.

Heard a commentator on the radio last night who said that the devastation was so widespread and so complete, he predicted that New Orleans would be the new Pompeii. What a tragedy.

Bless you and thank you for your contribution. Your efforts certainly do not go unrecognized or unappreciated. Those of us not there cannot even begin to imagine how difficult it must be, yet you power on. The mark of a true hero.

Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back