Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"I am also assuming a 10% rate of return (which is very doable long term)"
Really?????

Yes really. Do yourself a favor and spend a little time doing a google search for mutual funds with a greater than 20 year track record with better than 10% returns. There are ALOt. ALOT. Seriously. ALOT. Making 10% on your money is not hard at all. I have done well better than 10% overall since I started investing in 2000 so I know you can do it too.

As a matter of fact 11%- 12% seems more than doable long trerm to me. I am not that bright. I just spent a bit of time doing some research, learning, reading and got some good financial advisors vs. listening to investors and bad financial advisors telling me to expect less.

Last edited:
Never take a pilots advice on money and never take a financial analysts advice on flying.

But always Google your medical symptoms..

Never take a pilots advice on money and never take a financial analysts advice on flying.

But always Google your medical symptoms..

I agree. Don't take my word on this. Go figure it out yourself and get a good financial advisor or two. If they tell you they can't get you better than 10% on your money you should fire them.

"I am also assuming a 10% rate of return (which is very doable long term)"
Really?????

EXACTLY!! This is a new world my man!! I have been fortunate to make a bit on the Hong Kong property market, and I am figuring a 3% return on my forward projections. Please let me know in 10 years how your 10% is working out. :beer:

box

EXACTLY!! This is a new world my man!! I have been fortunate to make a bit on the Hong Kong property market, and I am figuring a 3% return on my forward projections. Please let me know in 10 years how your 10% is working out. :beer:

box

Will do. However I will bet on mutual funds with 20-50 year track records of performing better than 10% over the Hong Kong property market. It is always a new world. It was a new world during every doom and gloom period of market downturn or significant fluctuation like we are in now. However over the last 100 years the market always continues and long term has always been a good bet. Strive and work towards 12% and if you get 8% then you will probably be just fine.

I put all my eggs in one basket. Barger will take care of me.

I put all my eggs in one basket. Barger will take care of me.

Good thinking. I also don't want a union because it will upset Dave and he'll sell the airline. It's important that Dave stays happy.

$$$4nothin is nothing but accurate with his post. I have punched numbers and my calculations using 7.5% was approx 1.3 mil using my current 2013 pay of approx 175k and a .5% annual increase to retirement.

These numbers of course dont consider the true cost of our horrid healthcare.I figure i spent $5000-$8000 moe out of pocket than your average major pilot. compound that loss over your career,,,, management already has and thats why we are the ones going broke thank you can i have another is the mantra here.

I figure a 30 year career here could potentially short you 2-3 mil in retirement and career wide out of pockets. Of course there are so many variables and none of us have a crystal ball

Latest resources

Back