• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Flight Time and Duty Day Regulations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the company contacts you during your rest period, you should have the option to extend your rest period. period.

The transportation "local in nature" has to go. Your show time and duty day should start in the hotel lobby and end when you get to the hotel that night. And forget calling sked to let them know you are at the hotel, they need to invest in some technology so we can send a text message and get an automated one back with an adjusted show time in the morning if it is required. I don't want to be on hold for 30 min waiting for 1 of the 2 schedulers working to pick up the phone.

And to throw a bone to us commuters, they should positive space us to work and provide a hotel.

A 12 hr max duty day seems popular, and I think that's a good idea, but with a twist. Eliminate flight time requirements and focus on duty day. We know that sit time at the airport is at least as fatiguing as time in the cockpit, so eliminate that from consideration. Instead, reduce the max duty day according to the number of legs flown, say by one hour per leg over 2. If 3 legs, then 11 hr max, if 4 legs then 10, etc.

Further reduce the duty day if any part of it will occur overnight. If any part of the duty day touches 0100 to 0500 base time, then the max duty day is reduced 3 hr. Back-side of the clock covers redeyes and high-speeds.

The duty day should also include average transit time to/from company provided hotels, just as average taxi-in time and pre- and post-flight duties are included under Whitlow. It should also include 2 hrs transit time before show. Min rest is 10 hrs, period. With the pre-show transit, min rest in base is effectively 12 hrs.

Any max duty day cannot be scheduled to be exceeded, but legal to start, legal to finish the duty day, extendable by only 2 hrs if circumstances outside of the carrier's control (IROP). The back side of the clock reduction doesn't apply if you go into it inadvertently.

Summary:
Base duty day: 12 hrs
-1 hr for each leg over 2
-3 hrs for back side of the clock duty
+2 hrs for IROP

Min rest 10 hrs, which doesn't include average hotel transit time or 2 hrs of pre-trip transit.

Examples:
Turn max (2 leg): 12 hr, 9 hr if back-side. IROP: 14 and 11.
Busy max (4 leg): 10 hr, 7 hr if back-side. IROP: 12 and 9.
Regional max (6 leg): 8 hrs, 5 hr if back-side (which makes it impossible to schedule heavily front- or back-loaded high-speeds). IROP: 10 and 7.

A 12 hr max duty day seems popular, and I think that's a good idea, but with a twist. Eliminate flight time requirements and focus on duty day. We know that sit time at the airport is at least as fatiguing as time in the cockpit, so eliminate that from consideration. Instead, reduce the max duty day according to the number of legs flown, say by one hour per leg over 2. If 3 legs, then 11 hr max, if 4 legs then 10, etc.

Further reduce the duty day if any part of it will occur overnight. If any part of the duty day touches 0100 to 0500 base time, then the max duty day is reduced 3 hr. Back-side of the clock covers redeyes and high-speeds.

The duty day should also include average transit time to/from company provided hotels, just as average taxi-in time and pre- and post-flight duties are included under Whitlow. It should also include 2 hrs transit time before show. Min rest is 10 hrs, period. With the pre-show transit, min rest in base is effectively 12 hrs.

Any max duty day cannot be scheduled to be exceeded, but legal to start, legal to finish the duty day, extendable by only 2 hrs if circumstances outside of the carrier's control (IROP). The back side of the clock reduction doesn't apply if you go into it inadvertently.

Summary:
Base duty day: 12 hrs
-1 hr for each leg over 2
-3 hrs for back side of the clock duty
+2 hrs for IROP

Min rest 10 hrs, which doesn't include average hotel transit time or 2 hrs of pre-trip transit.

Examples:
Turn max (2 leg): 12 hr, 9 hr if back-side. IROP: 14 and 11.
Busy max (4 leg): 10 hr, 7 hr if back-side. IROP: 12 and 9.
Regional max (6 leg): 8 hrs, 5 hr if back-side (which makes it impossible to schedule heavily front- or back-loaded high-speeds). IROP: 10 and 7.

In other words, we at Jetblue(a non-union carrier) want to do turns that but that eight hour rule screws us.

I couldn't care less about transcon turns. I would just rather fly than sit, even if that means three legs worth 9 hrs vs four legs worth 7 with a three hour sit in the middle. Which is more *fatiguing*, genius? Now how about some constructive input?

I'm nowhere near as optimistic as most of you.

1. I was working for a frac operation during the 135 "re-write" which essentially changed nothing but made it a helluva lot more complicated.

2. CDO's are not inherently unsafe. What makes them unsafe is the pilots who get scheduled into them outside of their normal rythym and/or the idiot pilots who choose not to get the rest when they have the chance. While CDO's are great to constantly whine about they are simply the night shift, nothing more.

Increase the transition period so scheduling cannot flip a reserve pilot to a CDO and back as easily and you might have something.

3. I am absolutely all for simple, but that simply won't happen. More likely the new rules will complicate all kinds of stuff but accomplish nothing except the opposite of their intentions. That is the spirit of all new/modern FAA rules.

4. I do expect commuters to be hurt by anything new.

I love bidding CDO reserve. I don't want to see that lost. My problem with it is when you are on P3 (CDO reserve) and set up your sleep schedule to match then the second night scheduling calls at 1925 to put you back to rest (after already sleeping for the proper contact times) to show at 5:30 for 8 hours of ready reserve that now you need to be functional to be AT THE AIRPORT at 5:30 and available to work til 19:30. Two days of that then it's back to the CDO period availablity you last night... that's VERY unsafe and impractical but done all the time here.

It's the daily shift changes that pose the biggest problem. You never know WHEN to sleep because things can be changed on you on a whim.

This type of thing has also burned me as a lineholder too. You have a reduced rest overnight with 2 short legs the next morning. No big deal. Oh but wait get to the overnight city, and how bout a repo flight back to the hub then a flight back to the overnight getting there about 6 hours after you were scheduled/planned to be there (and basically usless on that last approach). If I go off duty with 2 legs the next day then dangit 2 legs is it period.

Having done a transcon turn within a 14 hour duty day part 91, they are MUCH less fatiguing than a 2-4 hour sit in the middle of the day.

I love bidding CDO reserve. I don't want to see that lost.

This is where pilots work against themselves when it comes to safety. You and sever others don't see any problem with CDO's per se. That's fine, I can't argue with your experience.

Myself and several others believe that CDO's are just plain unsafe. Why? Because I know that I can't do them. They f#ck me up too much, even when I flip to the backside for a full month. I'm not alone in my inability to adjust.

You want to keep them. I want to ban them. How about protecting those of us who simply know that we are not safe in a CDO environment from ever having to do them? I'm amazed that ALPA is not fighting CDO's with full force. I know that they aren't because some pilots like them so much.

However, there is science to back up the assertion that some individuals can do them and some can't. Some individuals can do things which others cannot. It has nothing to do with being a pilot and everything to do with individual physiology.

If you want to keep CDO's, fine, take them all. Just fight for some protections for those of us who can't do them.

The FAA, led by former ALPA MEC Chairman Randy Babbitt, is looking to rewrite the flight time and duty day regulations for FAR 121 carriers.

My questions to this forum is, if you had the authority to write the regulation and implement new flight time and duty day rules, what would they look like.

For me, I would suggest no more than a 12 hour duty day (domestic), 14 hour (international), and current Ultra Long Haul rules, but keep the 8 hour flight time restriction for two pilot aircrews. Comments?

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Champ 42272

How about making:

1 for 1.5 Actual Duty Time Rig an FAR
1 for 3 TAFB Trip a FAR
6 hour daily and duty period min a FAR
1.25 Night Rig Override a FAR
Etc...

Then every airline will schedule efficiently as opposed to what works for marketing. Otherwise a 12 hour duty day may only credit 2 hours and we will all work longer hours away from home for less pay.

You are absolutely right, Boiler.

However, do you think that a motivated crew is likely to be safer than a dejected, demotivated crew?

Latest resources

Back