• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Delta Capacity Cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know we all laugh about a no furlough clasue, but what would have to happen for the company to envoke the force majuere now to get around the no furlough clause?

I know we all laugh about a no furlough clasue, but what would have to happen for the company to envoke the force majuere now to get around the no furlough clause?

First of all, Delta is saying we will have a "profitable" 09. It would be interesting to show that to an arbitrator. Also, I don't think the economy or fuel costs are included in the Forced Manure clause. 9-11 was a different deal, because it was an unforseen major event. I think we have been watching this economy colapse for awhile now.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Very good point GL. If DAL says they will be profitable overall for the 2009 year even with a very bad 1st quater, how could DAL try and enforce the force majuere, to allow furloughs with a no furlough clause when the company is making money or projecting to make money??

First of all, Delta is saying we will have a "profitable" 09.

But they'll say anything.

The fact is, management doesn't know which way this economy is going to bounce or if it will bounce at all.

Do you guys even own a television machine?

Search here and ALPC...every SINGLE day he claims this and every day opposite
Perhaps you should worry about your own house instead of trolling every aviation website looking to see who's got wrong information!
TOOL!

The fact is, management doesn't know which way this economy is going to bounce or if it will bounce at all.

No, but I still have a rotary phone. Does that count?

The key here is fuel prices. When we made the budget for 09, we figured $140 a barrel fuel prices. Now look where there are. Apparently we could triple the amount of pax declines we had AFTER 9-11, and still do well if fuel is that low. After 9-11 we still had other expenditures that are now gone from the books thanks to BK, like our pension unfortunately, more expensive leases on planes and gates, etc. You need to take that into account.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This is a big cut. They decided that there was just not enough of a load to warrant keeping the lift for the Fall Quarter. After picking through the power point and the 8K it might be more of a frequency and gauge reduction. Now they cannot do a ton of this in overseas markets, so I see some sort of staffing shift. The benefit is that the CVG 767 base is now an ER base. They can transition then to all domestic flying if need be. That would save a lot of the ER catagory from displacement. That would equate to a bigger cut on the 767 domestic catagory. This could be done in ATL, SLC or LAX. Just a guess.
The bennifits are that there is a good amount of metal showing up in the next 12-24 months. Much of this will pick up the overstaffing.
I would be very surprised if we got though this without any furloughs. I would not be surprised to see 200-300 furloughs. That said it is only a guess. We still have the CPS flow in place. This equates to a lot of excess money to be spent. It is the best furlough protection there is. Post SOC we were looking to be slightly understaffed to adequately staffed. The managers will need to run the metric on this to determine if they need to make the cuts. This is a huge pull down, but furloughing may not give them justifiable gains to do so.

I always appreciate your style. Not huf no puff.

Latest resources

Back