New Delta Capacity Cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So,

Does anyone have the details/rumours of what these reductions entail?? Are we talking shifting of fleets to cut capacity in certain markets or parking of fleets. If the 10-12% reductions are strictly due to downgauging in the Atl. and Pac. and possibly upgaugeing Lat./S. America and Africa, Mid East then this won't sting so much. My fear is this is not the case though. Oh where, oh where is ACL??

But General can bid any route he wants, on any type he wants, and is as flexible as a gymnast. This wont affect him. But I like your stews.

I can't wait to see the General try to "spin" this into some type of positive news.

-Truth is, your "inspired mgmt" f-cked-up....BAD..... They expanded way too heavily INTL right before the biggest recession in many decades.

-INTL is gonna tank HARD. The last time we saw any type of economic news as bad as what we have now, there was very little INTL traffic of any kind-very few of these horrendously expensive routes to support. Very little of this type of exposure for any airline.

-Plus, last time, there was no avowed Marixist in the White House-doing his very best to make everything far worse. "Can't let a good crisis go to waste" R. Emmanuel.

-Uncharted waters, Gen... Good thing you have your famous "sub commander" uniform-at least you will look like you belong in uncharted waters.

-P.S.-I think there is some kind of leak in the egine room-might want to get a damage report, Gen....Just to be safe.

-Come at me again with some silly-ass "fry cook" stuff-I really rather enjoy your infantile insults. It won't change the fact that you are in deep turd.

Hey, you will still be a fry cook after we cut more RJs too. I have the seniority to withstand this downgauge by far. If Delta is cutting certain routes because of the economy, then good for them. I guess we should just fly empty? The cuts will be made supposedly in September, which means Summer bookings look Okay I suppose. Those Execs still say we will end 09 with A PROFIT. Lower oil has really helped with that, but that doesn't mean we should still fly around with close to empty airplanes. They are making plans to make sure we ride out the mess for the Fall and Early Winter, and I am sure we will ramp it all back up for Spring and Summer like we always do.

So, please go back to the Fry cooker, it is beeping again which means you need to do something. I think you busted the Fry cooker checkride a few times obviously. Go over there and "Pull UP, Pull UP" the fries in the basket! Do IT!

Bye Bye--General Lee

But General can bid any route he wants, on any type he wants, and is as flexible as a gymnast. This wont affect him. But I like your stews.

That is true. Seniority is good during rough times. And, there is never a chance I will have to go to LBB, MAF, or ISP. As far as the stews go, unfortunatly our cute ones are always our junior ones.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This is a big cut. They decided that there was just not enough of a load to warrant keeping the lift for the Fall Quarter. After picking through the power point and the 8K it might be more of a frequency and gauge reduction. Now they cannot do a ton of this in overseas markets, so I see some sort of staffing shift. The benefit is that the CVG 767 base is now an ER base. They can transition then to all domestic flying if need be. That would save a lot of the ER catagory from displacement. That would equate to a bigger cut on the 767 domestic catagory. This could be done in ATL, SLC or LAX. Just a guess.
The bennifits are that there is a good amount of metal showing up in the next 12-24 months. Much of this will pick up the overstaffing.
I would be very surprised if we got though this without any furloughs. I would not be surprised to see 200-300 furloughs. That said it is only a guess. We still have the CPS flow in place. This equates to a lot of excess money to be spent. It is the best furlough protection there is. Post SOC we were looking to be slightly understaffed to adequately staffed. The managers will need to run the metric on this to determine if they need to make the cuts. This is a huge pull down, but furloughing may not give them justifiable gains to do so.

I agree with your points.... It really gives me no pleasure to point out how horrible this situation is, but the point I am trying to make is that your mgmt. is really screwing the place up.

DAL went thru the whole INTL mess in the early 90s. They almost went BK back then. Seems like the current guys would have figured out that INTL is a huge double-edged sword. Very expensive routes which must be supported-full or empty.

It was foolish of them to think that only the domestic market would tank. The world's economies are all so inter-dependent these days, there was no logical reason to expect that domestic would tank while INTL travel into/out of the U.S. would boom. This strategy was plain foolish.

Now, if they succeed in putting AirTran out of business (which has been their stated goal,) they will have smacked a hornet's nest by getting SWA (a much, much stronger competitor-with a huge route structure, compared to AirTran's) right into their home hub.

I hate to see anyone furlough-it is bad for the whole industry, but DAL investors and stakeholders need to wake up and recognize that they have a very poor mgmt. team making some really stupid moves.

-Steenland and Anderson will destroy the company if they are left in charge for a couple more years-investors and employees should be doing everything they possibly can to get rid of these guys!

I agree with your points.... It really gives me no pleasure to point out how horrible this situation is, but the point I am trying to make is that your mgmt. is really screwing the place up.

DAL went thru the whole INTL mess in the early 90s. They almost went BK back then. Seems like the current guys would have figured out that INTL is a huge double-edged sword. Very expensive routes which must be supported-full or empty.

It was foolish of them to think that only the domestic market would tank. The world's economies are all so inter-dependent these days, there was no logical reason to expect that domestic would tank while INTL travel into/out of the U.S. would boom. This strategy was plain foolish.

Now, if they succeed in putting AirTran out of business (which has been their stated goal,) they will have smacked a hornet's nest by getting SWA (a much, much stronger competitor-with a huge route structure, compared to AirTran's) right into their home hub.

I hate to see anyone furlough-it is bad for the whole industry, but DAL investors and stakeholders need to wake up and recognize that they have a very poor mgmt. team making some really stupid moves.

-Steenland and Anderson will destroy the company if they are left in charge for a couple more years-investors and employees should be doing everything they possibly can to get rid of these guys!

Again the Fry Cook doesn't understand. A lot of our latest "INTL Expansion" was due to the merger. We gained a lot compared to being the old DL. We haven't added hardly any new routes in Asia since the merger, but the economics of those routes have changed thanks to the failing auto industry. Detroit has been the hardest hit, and a lot of Japan has been hit too. Did Delta see an Auto Meltdown coming? Did you?

We have added a lot of new routes to Europe though, and have already axed a lot of them before they have even started (RDU-CDG, etc). Those can be down guaged to smaller planes (767s to 757ERs) because the distances are shorter. Going DTW to Nagoya (Toyota's Japan Headquarters) can't be flown by a 767 nonstop, although a 744 could be down guaged to a 777 I guess.

Even though a cutback like this is major, if you have the flexibility of different types of fleets, it doesn't have to be too bad. There are some routes though that won't make it through the process I am sure. And those execs you like to slam still think we will have an overall 09 profit thanks to lower gas.

The Fry cooker is still beeping! Do something! Pull up, Pull up!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Instead of the bickering between CRJ567 and GL, perhaps we can think about how this will impact the lives of both low seniority DAL/NWA people as well as their counterparts at Compass. Not good news at all even though it wasn't a huge surprise given the economy.

Nobody is safe in this economy. UAL may vanish. Midwest is basically gone. Layoffs will be rampant in all industries. Let's try to lay off the childish behavior when others are getting this difficult news...

Instead of the bickering between CRJ567 and GL, perhaps we can think about how this will impact the lives of both low seniority DAL/NWA people as well as their counterparts at Compass. Not good news at all even though it wasn't a huge surprise given the economy.

Nobody is safe in this economy. UAL may vanish. Midwest is basically gone. Layoffs will be rampant in all industries. Let's try to lay off the childish behavior when others are getting this difficult news...

Thanks Dad....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back