• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Comair hiring minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All part of the growing worldwide pilot shortage, I believe Pinnacle was the first to go to the new mins. This is where they interview almost everyone and pick the best they can. BTW flight time is not the pure determinate of a pilot's qualification. Low time pilots are flying in the military all over the world. A pilot with 350 total time could be a SIC on a C-17, P-3, or any other military airplane. 900 hours would make them a PIC. A comprehensive screening process and quality of training makes the difference.

Low time pilots are flying in the military all over the world. A pilot with 350 total time could be a SIC on a C-17, P-3, or any other military airplane. 900 hours would make them a PIC. A comprehensive screening process and quality of training makes the difference.

I don't know of anyone who made Aircraft Commander of a heavy in the Air Force with only 900 hours. But, you are correct. Screening and quality training make the difference. But even if there were a civilian school that was the equivalent of millitary training, I don't think I would want a 600 hour pilot in the airline world.

well.... those real cool CAs that fly the 777s and what not were hired when places like united hired with NO flying experiance whatsoever, so take it for what it is.

That's true. I know a guy who is now a DPE, was hired at Eastern at 18 yrs old. Those were the days.

All part of the growing worldwide pilot shortage
either that or a sign that pilots aren't dumb enough to want to go to Comair at this time. It could work out very well for those getting hired now, or they could all be on the street in a couple months. It's a crappy job and one that qualified people would rather pass on.

either that or a sign that pilots aren't dumb enough to want to go to Comair at this time. It could work out very well for those getting hired now, or they could all be on the street in a couple months. It's a crappy job and one that qualified people would rather pass on.

That's why ppl like me me and others with multiple offers are so confounded by the current situation. Comair used to be one of my target regionals to get to back when I was first getting my ratings, but what a difference only a few months make in this industry.

Now I have to choose between Comair, ExpressJet and Chautauqua and the choice would have been almost a no-brainer in the past but it's become a tough one now.

Hi!

I would go with Chautauqua (Republic) because they are 100% independent and can fly for whoever they like, so they are more protected from something bad happening at one major airline.

cliff
YIP

Funny you use an AWACS as your avatar, because I knew an AWACS aircraft commander (AC as you know) who was a 1LT close to making captain. This was in theater in Turkey. He had something like 1100 hours. And as you probably also know, the difference between 900 hrs and 1100hrs in AWACS is anywhere from 25-50 flights, maybe less if you get some of those 10-14 hr missions. Not a HUGE difference. Yes, there was an AC shortage.

I don't know of anyone who made Aircraft Commander of a heavy in the Air Force with only 900 hours. But, you are correct. Screening and quality training make the difference. But even if there were a civilian school that was the equivalent of millitary training, I don't think I would want a 600 hour pilot in the airline world.

Do any of you Comair guys know if the ATP written is part of the mins or not?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back