• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Comair hiring minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny you use an AWACS as your avatar, because I knew an AWACS aircraft commander (AC as you know) who was a 1LT close to making captain. This was in theater in Turkey. He had something like 1100 hours. And as you probably also know, the difference between 900 hrs and 1100hrs in AWACS is anywhere from 25-50 flights, maybe less if you get some of those 10-14 hr missions. Not a HUGE difference. Yes, there was an AC shortage.

yep when there is a shortage in the military, things change. I was simply trying to point out that pilots upgrading to AC with under 1000 hours in the military is not the norm. Can it and does it happen....sure. But it's not the norm. And for the record, I had under 1500 when I upgraded to AC on the AWACS....with only about 400 in the AWACS itself.

900 to 1100 hours could be under 20 flights!

During the golden years, Legacies sent recruiters to local FBO's trying to find candidates (and were often turned away), and frequently hired PPL's and Comm/SEL's. I personally know of several now-retired Pan Am guys who earned their Comm/MEL ratings in a 707 back in the 60's. Funny, I didn't hear the wailing and nashing of teeth back them about not being qualified, and trust me, those birds were much more challenging to fly than these flying CPU's around today. There was no such thing as apprenticing for a "regional" carrier then, you either got military guys or very low time civillians flying large jets. The equivilant of today's "regionals", what were known as "non-scheds" were primarily manned by guys with incidents and DUI's on their records.

You won't get quality applicants for these positions because the lifestyle sucks. I have no problem finding tons of 5-8,000 hr regional FO's to fly for us doing charter work. Why? Few overnights, good pay, and a focus on professionalism and QOL. Things the airline industry has given up on. I have no problem finding guys to fly a PA-31 who came from the Regional world, mainly because I pay better and treat them better. (Please don't PM me, I only hire personal referrals).

Oh yeah, few unions in the 135 world, and our workplace is considerably improved over the 121 flying. Go figure.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back