New Comair hiring minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FDJ2

New mins for Comair 600 total, 100 multi.

November 2, 2006
TO: Comair Pilots
Todd McGregor, Flight Ops Pilot Recruiter

RE: Flight Operations recruiting efforts

In an effort to maintain optimum staffing levels throughout the organization, the Human
Resources department constantly evaluates our recruiting efforts. Our primary goal is to ensure
that we are best positioned to recruit new talent
given the challenges we’re facing in our industry
and our company.
For the past several months, the Flight Operations and Human Resources departments have been
working with representatives from the Training department to explore new ways to recruit
competitively. One way for us to improve our opportunities to attract new candidates is to
restructure our training to match the experience level of available candidates.
Comair Training is making numerous changes to its current new-hire training program to build
an Advanced CRJ Training Program that combines the best elements of an industry proven Jet
Transition Program with our current CRJ initial program.
Revised Minimums Now Available
This advanced training class, which will be available January 8th, 2006, will allow Comair to
lower our overall minimum flight time requirements while still attracting the highest-quality
individuals available in the industry today. Effective immediately, we will be able to hire
candidates who have 600 hours Total Time and 100 hours Multi-Engine time.
These revised
minimums will increase the number of “first-look” candidates considering Comair, which gives
us a better opportunity to recruit the most talented pilots to our airline. As always, we will
continue to look for the best pilots to fill our First Officer vacancies.
We wanted you to be the first to know about these changes. We will begin communicating this
new training program and our revised minimums through an ad campaign in several major
publications, at job fairs and our web site in the coming weeks.
Please continue to refer qualified candidates to us through the employee referral program (visit
EPIC for details). If you refer a candidate who is later hired by Comair and remains on the job
for six months, you will receive a referral bonus of $500.
We remain committed to doing everything possible to find and hire the most outstanding pilots
into our airline. Thank you in advance for your support in these efforts.

Why not just put a mirror in front of their mouth. If it fogs up, hire 'em.

These revised
minimums will increase the number of “first-look” candidates considering Comair, which gives
us a better opportunity to recruit the most talented pilots to our airline.

Cutting the mins in half enables you to recruit the most talented, huh? That's interesting.

Wonder if they'll still pay the $500 if they end up furloughing all these guys within six months.

I think that this trend will follow for a long time, not only at Comair, but other places as well. Where I work, the lower time pilots actually performed better in training. A lot of this, I think, continues to go on not only at where I work but at other places because of the success a lot of them have in training and also the fact that the bank of applicants and qualified pilots have shrunk as well.

I have spoken with a check airman here regarding our low time new hires. He said that he has noticed a difference in quality, for the worse. It's not the new pilots' fault that they are being hired with such little time, but they just don't have the experience to make a successful transition to the jet in the time frame that the company would like.

I still get all the stuff that the chief pilot's office puts out. This is in keeping with the memo about reduced rest actually being to the pilot's advantage! And since they need ( again according to a memo from the CPO) more than double the number of screw schedulers that they have on staff, I guess that lowering the mins actually is a good thing in the mind of management. Incidently, flying upside down saves fuel because it drains away from the engine. Please make a note of it!:laugh:

This is going to be a familiar trend. It's either raise the pay or lower the minimums. Which one do you think management will choose? At our low wages, pretty soon they will be hiring pilots with 250 hours because no one else will take the job. Our ********************ty job sucks.

This is hilarious! While I have known many low timers that made the transition with no problems, this just goes to show the desperation from management. YOU MADE THE BED, NOW SLEEP IN IT! On another note, with 1113c, I now have Thanksgiving and Christmas "off".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back