• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New AT to SWA training plan out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My thought is that they will not bring any pilots over the partition until they are needed on the SWA side. Until 2015 it's more cost effective to overstaff the AAI side of the operation. What happens on 1/1/2015 is what concerns me more. We might be overstaffed by as many as 900ish pilots and I can't the company keeping that kind of excess on the payroll.

"keeping that kind of excess on the payroll"..............................
That is a joke........... a grotesquely overstaffed IT department that struggles with what other companies do with one quarter of the staff accomplishes with ease..... how long has it taken to get a code share? How is that software update coming along? That's right... they had to go to an outside vendor for a product because the IT department could not get it done. Maintenance practices on the SWA side are adopting the AT methodologies for tracking. Of the stations where the SWA ramp personnel are doing the work I see almost twice the number or personnel with no improvement and in some cases a decrease in turn times and late pushes. Catering done with two people in the truck where AT did it with one. How about a culture committee (pom pom squad)?

Excess personnel on the payroll is a SWA thing and not an Airtran thing. Fat and gluttonous character from Austin Powers comes to mind and SWA better get on an exercise program because they are quickly losing sight of their feet.

SWA LUVs GO people, ground ops people, Directors and VPs. Can't have enough of those. Pilots are a different story.

I do feel the uncertainty on the AT side. I know it sucks! What a mess. I think our retirements are going to be used to meet the deadline. That sucks too. If so we can throw out SL 10 upgrade projections. :( Unless somebody has better idea how it will go down.

What Scoreboard said.

JT, I don't know who you are, or whom you work for, but you don't know what you're talking about. Our ground ops have been chronically under-staffed ever since RX was implimented a few years ago. As for IT, yes, we may not have the best & brightest (probably because our mgmt is reluctant to pay competitive salaries to them), but you are the ONLY one I have ever heard accusing that dept of being over-staffed.

Last edited:
The mx program is called Trax, and the first guy to cross from AT to SWA at all was the VP of maintenance, because he was the Trax guru. Now he's a VP at SWA. Only 2 of our folks went VP to VP.

It's a chicken and egg thing- the 800 needed a mx program and Trax is supposedly pretty good and was here. AirTran had good experience with it, and it met a need, so it was used.

Last point each turn only has two bodies per jet to chuck bags and drive the tug, if you see more, there is training going on.

They do know the cost, it's your current contractual run-rate continuing on after the amendable date theoretically forever the way the NMB works today.

While this may be true, the new work rules will have a big play into getting the deal done.

Latest resources

Back