• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New ASA/XJT JCBA rumor....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the average bid run solution with 2000 pilots, to update and be" live"... ?

Do you mean, how long does it take before the solution is complete and your line is posted? Probably 15 minutes tops, would be my guess. By the way, I don't know if this makes a difference or not but it's a separate bid solution for each domicile and seat. So it's not really trying to solve 2000 bids at once. Our biggest base has about 315 hard lines right now and has about 415 pilots per seat bidding for hard lines, relief lines, and reserve lines. (Even years back when we had the most block hours to fly, the most I ever saw in our biggest base was about 525 hard lines and 650 pilots per seat.) So it's really solving 425 FO lines, 425 CA lines (for IAH), and then another amount of FO and CA lines for all the other bases. Keeping in mind that CAs bid before FOs.

Last edited:
Do you mean, how long does it take before the solution is complete and your line is posted? Probably 15 minutes tops, would be my guess. By the way, I don't know if this makes a difference or not but it's a separate bid solution for each domicile and seat. So it's not really trying to solve 2000 bids at once. Our biggest base has about 315 hard lines right now and has about 415 pilots per seat bidding for hard lines, relief lines, and reserve lines. (Even years back when we had the most block hours to fly, the most I ever saw in our biggest base was about 525 hard lines and 650 pilots per seat.) So it's really solving 425 FO lines, 425 CA lines (for IAH), and then another amount of FO and CA lines for all the other bases. Keeping in mind that CAs bid before FOs.

we had line bidding and it was instant.... with PBS it takes forever to run because the company runs it multiple times and selects the one that is most efficient... so this real time stuff is just non sense... it wont work and is only as good as the people that bid in front of you...its a worthless bell and whistle.

however if this is something the XJT guys want... then fine... tweak what we have and add this real time bid.... but dont scrap all the great stuff we have with our current pbs

Last edited:
we had line bidding and it was instant.... with PBS it takes forever to run because the company runs it multiple times and selects the one that is most efficient... so this real time stuff is just non sense... it wont work and is only as good as the people that bid in front of you...its a worthless bell and whistle

I don't think you understand the way smartpref works. There is no need to run it multiple times in smartpref to get the most efficient solutions. The parameters are all set ahead of time and there for any bidder to see. It'll solve to those parameters on the first solution.

Your system requires multiple solutions because of its configuration.

As for only being as good as the people that bid in front of you, it'll show you what percentage of people have changed their standing bid who are senior to you. It'll also show you how many people have change their bid in the last 12, 24, 36, etc hours. There have been test showing that most people bid early and rarely change their bid afterward. There is no advantage to senior guys changing their bid at the last moment. They all want max days off or day trips, or commutable, etc and once they've bid and see the line they'll probably get, there is no need for them to go back and change it.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand the way smartpref works. There is no need to run it multiple times in smartpref to get the most efficient solutions. The parameters are all set ahead of time and there for any bidder to see. It'll solve to those parameters on the first solution.

Your system requires multiple solutions because of its configuration.

there is no set solution to pbs... thats the point of PBS... it allows the company to run it, switch it to what fits them best.... otherwise they would stick with line bidding

there is no set solution to pbs... thats the point of PBS... it allows the company to run it, switch it to what fits them best.... otherwise they would stick with line bidding

What I'm saying is that with smartpref, of the company wants X amount of lines in order to have X amount of reserves for any given day of the month, they set that ahead of time (and you can see those parameters ahead of time), and the software will build to that given set of parameters the first time.

Not all PBS software work the same. It's different from how prefbid works.

however if this is something the XJT guys want... then fine... tweak what we have and add this real time bid.... but dont scrap all the great stuff we have with our current pbs

Most of you guys were apprehensive about going to PBS. But now you see that it's better than what you previously had. How do you know the same cannot be true again? I'm glad that conversation is finally starting to take place in order to ascertain that.

What I'm saying is that with smartpref, of the company wants X amount of lines in order to have X amount of reserves for any given day of the month, they set that ahead of time (and you can see those parameters ahead of time), and the software will build to that given set of parameters the first time.

Not all PBS software work the same. It's different from how prefbid works.

the company wants the flexibility to move around..... and that is ok with most of us... its give and take..

the company wants the flexibility to move around..... and that is ok with most of us... its give and take..

Ya, no doubt. I don't have a problem with that as long as its a give and take, like you said. With smartpref, the company can set different amount of reserve pilots for any given day of the month. And you would see that ahead of time. It'll show you how many planned absences there are, how many duty periods have to be covered, and it'll also show you this information for you at your seniority depending on what the people senior to you have bid. For example, you want Christmas off, it knows it has 100 duty periods to cover that day, it also knows that 90 people senior to you have bid that day off, you will see that before you do anything. The company gets the coverage and reserves it feels it needs and you get to see that ahead of time and bid accordingly.

Latest resources

Back