Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

damnflyboy

New ASA TOLD card

What do you guys think about the new TOLD card in ASA aircraft? I think it's crazier than a crippled midget running with a bucket of hot-sauce...

A few things that I found-

1) It's difficult to read as it's in mice-type.
2) The information is jumbled, squished, and difficult to find things at a glance.
3) The grayed areas are difficult to read at night.
4) The "notes" blanks at the top and bottom invite non-standard practice and scribble.
5) Information overload and over-kill.
6) The dual-side feature is just waiting to cause an accident or confusion between flights. Paper is cheap. Lawsuits are not. Make the blanks bigger/easier to read and use both sides. If you want to save money, make the rampers show up to the gate.
7) No space (except for "notes" section) for flight number or aircraft verification in the brief.
8) The V-Speed blanks can all be briefed off the FMS, which would make it easier in case of runway/data change.
9) Not enough room for all of the NOTAM-rich airports and plentiful MEL's/CDL's.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't want to write out War and Peace...especially during a quick turn at an outstation. Just the essentials. I fell like I'm filling out a freaking electronics rebate form that will never yield a result---Just more frustration than a broke FO in a strip-club.

I think the intentions were good and they were trying to cover all of the bases...but it was too much of a good thing. Ice cream a-la-mode in pill form, anyone?

Am I alone here?

(*in Mike Myers' Linda Richman voice from Coffee Talk*): Discuss!

Last edited:
Amen

I filled one out just to see how long it would take. The thing is a good idea overall, but needs a lot of tweaking. I found it to be a waste of time.

Like you said, most of the stuff you already get off the acars, so why be redundant and write it down and check boxes??

They could take 2/3 of the crap off that thing, and that would leave a lot more space for bigger font and boxes for the important stuff.

OR how about just leaving blank pads of paper and letting us write down what we need to.

By the way, since the FO's will be the ones filling these things out, I hope the company asks the right demographic for the input about how to improve the new briefing sheets.

Last edited:
Too much info. in a little space. Did anyone get in trouble with the old sheets? Put that on a normal sheet of paper and everyone will do fine. Besides who has the time to put out all this crap they keep sending us. I can't keep up with the flood of emails & chart up dates around this joint.

Yea...I just hope enough FO's and Captains have the foresight to care. We're going to be filling out a million of these dang things, so we might as well give them our input to make them work for line flying. Supposedly, we should send our suggestions to Zach Rogers- Mangager of Line Operations.

I sent in my two cents in which I stated the TOLD cards are a waste of money, and we're supposed to be cutting costs? My response went on to say that what we have now is sufficient, even a piece of paper is better than the TOLD cards. People at the G/O have way too much time on their hands. Let them know how you feel, maybe they'll eliminate them after the trial run.

Hoser
Roll Tide!

I haven't flown in a while so forgive me if I'm wrong. Reading the bulletin it says that the gray areas are only to be filled out if ACARS is inop or captain's discretion. So that seems to cut a lot of the work out. Just print out the ACARS and use that expensive paper. The bulletin also has tips to avoid using the wrong side. I agree, though if it isn't broke; why fix it?

By the way, since the FO's will be the ones filling these things out, I hope the company asks the right demographic for the input about how to improve the new briefing sheets.

You mean the FO's are actually going to have something to do now? Who's going to program the Ipod and create the playlist for each leg?

I found that the new cards, when combined with enough hair gel, will form an awesome spitball..... Just a suggestion, but they are best deployed at those times when someone like Riddleagle18 starts trying to listen to Dave Matthews on his I-pod in flight.

I found that the new cards, when combined with enough hair gel, will form an awesome spitball..... Just a suggestion, but they are best deployed at those times when someone like Riddleagle18 starts trying to listen to Dave Matthews on his I-pod in flight.

I hate Dave Matthews Band...

Latest resources

Back