New ASA probationary TOLD card

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TOLD cards

For starters, the takeoff briefing section is incredibly over detailed. Runway elevation? Are you kidding me?
The single engine departure procedure section needs a little tweaking. For example, the majority of people I have flown with prefer briefing the direction of turn, the heading, and then the flap retraction altitude. If you look at the TOLD cards you can see that they are set up counter intuitively. The FRA is a few boxes before the line for SE Procedures.
I will be submitting these changes just as soon as I can sit down at a desk and study the new card in detail. I am just too tired flying this four day to deal with it right now.

Last edited:
For starters, the takeoff briefing section is incredibly over detailed. Runway elevation? Are you kidding me?
The single engine departure procedure section needs a little tweaking. For example, the majority of people I have flown with prefer briefing the direction of turn, the heading, and then the flap retraction altitude. If you look at the TOLD cards you can see that they are set up counter intuitively. The FRA is a few boxes before the line for SE Procedures.
I will be submitting these changes just as soon as I can sit down at a desk and study the new card in detail. I am just too tired flying this four day to deal with it right now.

I agree they need some work, but that is why they are out there, to get the feedback.

The grayed out parts are not required if you have ACARS.

The runway elevation is there so when you check the altimeters on the takeoff check to the line, you can verify your altimeters are within 75 feet for RVSM.

Writing stuff on a sheet of paper is not acceptable because every person ends up with a different way of doing a brief. Some people brief everything under the sun, some brief nothing, and it doesn't lend itself to being standardized.

We can debate the design of the briefing card, but the fact that we need to have one is pretty obvious. It is nice to know what to expect from your pilot/copilot.

Obviously, whomever decided to design this thing up with the current format (ZR) has not heard of the phrase "less is more".

Personally, two sheets per leg, or more, in order to exhaust the supply we have that much quicker. These things suck.

As for the departure brief- runway, trim, flaps, and initial altitude- that's all I want to hear on the taxi out..................

Nothing says "Thou shalt always use the TOLD cards." Leave them in the barf bag and your problem is solved. I haven't used one yet.

That is absolutely not true. They were started by publications, and then sent to the training department for final input.

I heard the original design was a little less "verbose", then the training department got a hold of it and balled it all up.

I heard the original design was a little less "verbose", then the training department got a hold of it and balled it all up.

are we really surprised? I mean getting vectors for the approach, 180 kts and flaps 8 IS real world flying. Enough said.

Latest resources

Back