• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New ALPA Message to USAirways Pilots pt 3

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your MEC also knows a TA passing is a near certainty but they refuse to man up to the fact that not only have they drawn the short straw for you, their actions prior to arbitration placed nothing but short straws in the hands of those that could have provided you with "reasonable solutions".

Whatever frustrations you may have are entirely misdirected.

Your MEC is standing square in the way of forward movement for both sides and they are going to be run over by the Tiennamen tank if you know what I mean. The end game is coming and it's going to suck for both East and West...don't say you weren't warned.

Look to your leaders first...they are where the blame lies, but if you tote their spew, look in the mirror because in the end, you'll have no one to blame but yourself. Your misery will have company though...that I'll give you.

If the East MEC is put into receivership, ALPA will alienate even the staunchest East ALPA supporter. Then all the ALPA support will crumble and USAPA will have more than enough cards if they don't already.

Whether, in the end, USAPA wins the total election is a 50/50 shot. But in the end it delays the integration, the East pilots capture their attrition, and in their minds, they get what they were after all along.

The fact that there have been no upgrades on the West side of the house is one of two things....not enough growth opportunities out west, not enough attrition out west, the fact that so much East flying was subbed out to the lowest bidder and now with higher traffic levels, there are more $$$ opportunities out east, and Dougie is bent on keeping both groups PO'ed at each other because he wins.

I would look for that to continue.

A350

Your MEC also knows a TA passing is a near certainty
You sound like you put a lot of thought and time into your post. I commend you for that, but I have to disagree with your opinion.

For example, I am the average line pilot out here. (PHL AB FO). I will vote no on any TA that comes through, unless it has a 20yr fence and a 40% raise. Simply because of the loss of seniority. That is the key issue. Pay/work rules/retirement are all important but secondary concerns.

Meeting those requirements is doubtful, so I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
A350 - It takes more than cards....the devil in the details is money, of which USAPA has virtually none and I would be very surprised to see East pilots bankroll a new union in lieu of large raises, profit sharing, etc etc.

Weasel - I don't expect you to agree with me. You may see a 20-30% raise, but you'll never see a 20 yr fence. Your vote is your choice, but I do think it will play out as I outlined. There's too much wishing going on...what we're destined for is an average contract and a disgruntled pilot group.

If the East MEC is put into receivership, ALPA will alienate even the staunchest East ALPA supporter.
Keep in mind that surely Prater doesn't want to do this. I mean, he wasted five months before telling you guys Nicolau's decision stands when everybody knew it from the beginning. In the end, he has no choice but to follow the policies and in this case it's clear to everybody but the AAA MEC who's not following the rules. If following the rules is something that makes more Easties want to dump ALPA then I guess this is a good thing because it bodes well for USAPA's future. (read sarcasm)
But in the end it delays the integration, the East pilots capture their attrition, and in their minds, they get what they were after all along.
This may come to pass, but it won't be forgotten. The next time we'll all know to act quicker to stop the cheaters.
The fact that there have been no upgrades on the West side of the house is one of two things....not enough growth opportunities out west, not enough attrition out west,...
Ah, revisionist history. Day before merger announcement: AWA hiring around 15/month, growing, aircraft deliveries scheduled. Day after merger: deliveries stop, aircraft retired, hiring stops, stagnation begins. I'm not predicting the future, only stating the situation on that fateful day in Spring 2005. Need I remind you of what was happening at USAirways at that time?
... and Dougie is bent on keeping both groups PO'ed at each other because he wins. I would look for that to continue.
Thanks to the AAA MEC, you're correct.

Kerosene,

Do you really want a fence to keep the west folks out of the east? You talk about protecting the attrition of the east, but if such a fence were to be fair, it would have to give the west pilots credit for their attrition and a percentage of the airlines growth, as well. That would mean that the next 300 or so upgrades would have to go to west pilots. Not to mention the fact that there will be more pilots wanting to come out west than vice-versa. Also, you can't really control where the company puts the flying. So far, it has migrated out east because you do it cheaper out there. Another example of better be careful what you wish for.

Seems simple enough. USAir Captain retires, USAir F/O takes his place, AWA Capt retires AWA F/O takes his place. Any new aircraft past the numbers present at the time of the merger goes per the nic list.

The AWA guys get their attrition that they brought with them, the Airways guys get the attrition that they brought. Granted that USAir has many more retiring in the very near future than AWA does, (Roughly 800 Capts in 5 years or so), but most of the growth seats would go to the west due to the Nic award.

Airways has a mass exodous of pilots that started a year or so back and will continue for quite a few years, so even without the merger and zero growth in airframes every furloughed pilot would have been back barring a complete shutdown in very short time with hiring needed. Arguing if airways would have made it or if AWA would have survived is an exercise in futility. Airways has been around since the 40's in one form or another and AWA since the early 80's. Neither were a real prize at the time of the merger. One was a second rate wannabe and the other was a has been.

Together in an amicable agreement they could be a powerhouse again.

There will be an agreement, but it will not be amicable and thus the has beens will become second rate wannabe's.

- AAA MEC is going to be neutered by national. They will remain resolute in their defiance so that the blame can be deflected from them when they are relieved of their duties.

- TA will be negotiated and presented

- USAPA will stir the pot to no avail. $$ talks.

- Threats from USAPA will be met with firm action from the company and reveal who truly is in control.

- TA will pass by very small margin

- Nicolau decision will stand

- East will be pissed because of seniority

- West will be pissed because we ended up with concessions after wasting nearly a year on the list battle and lost much leverage in negotiations as a result.

- We'll all live happily every after as long as there is not another merger. Our wounds as they are will heal, but they will sink us all in a future merger if we can't stand shoulder to shoulder as a unified group.

Take it to the bank...it will play out as I say.

Either way, the delay tactics are deplorable and are admittedly (ref A350's comments) what this is all about.

Seems simple enough. USAir Captain retires, USAir F/O takes his place, AWA Capt retires AWA F/O takes his place.
Wow, that is simple. Why didn't Nicolau think of that? Oh yeah, he didn't ignore the rest of the story. (If you don't know what story I'm referring to please reference the Nicolau Award.)

Wow, that is simple. Why didn't Nicolau think of that? Oh yeah, he didn't ignore the rest of the story. (If you don't know what story I'm referring to please reference the Nicolau Award.)

Quite frankly, to the guys who gave massive concessions in 02, then were screwed out of their retirement and now will have to spend the rest of their 30 year career as F/O to somebody half their age and experience, they don't care.

From what I have seen on crew busses and around the system their general feeling seems to be that without being able to get the benefits of the Airways retirements they have nothing to lose. Since they account for 2/3 of the total pilot group that is a very very dangerous attitude for Parker to have to deal with....too many to fire or get rid of and survive, and too many to be able to just ignore and hope it goes away.

Without some concessions toward keeping the east attrition on the east side I am positive that my recall is just another stopgap until the next job comes around, the airline will not survive in my opinion otherwise. When you get off the cat fight on the message boards and talk to the guys that never post on things like Flifo, the rank and file east guy you will see that to them if they lose the retirements to the west they have zero reason to keep airways going.

You and I have reasons to want it to continue, they on the other hand can do just as well in their last 10 years or so as Corporate pilots as they could being F/O to a guy hired in 2000 to 2004. So they have nothing to lose by trying everything possible to keep the attrition.

Just my opinion by looking at the situation.

[...The problem we face today is the AAA MEC failure to accept reality and attempt to end-run around the policy they're bound by. People keep floating around ideas like the AWA MEC should give-in on some fences or something and that'll solve everything. Of course, instead of negotiating as equals the AAA MEC is suing us, fighting a media battle, and implicitly supporting a campaign to replace ALPA purely in the selfish hope of screwing the West. With this gun being held to our head we should appease the East? It's not about Nicolau anymore.[/quote]

It certainly isn't.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Latest resources

Back