• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New airline pilots on the radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
*The guy who taught me to fly retired from Chicago Approach Control after 27 years with the FAA. He said pilots using OH instead of ZERO was his number one pet peeve. Jusssssss sayin'

Yeah, well I porked his wife. Jeeeessssss sayinnnn'

The pilots who care about someone else's radio calls, or zero/OH, or "checking in" are the ones who got beat up in high school or give pilots a bad name...

Some days I make proper sounding radio calls, some days probably not.. Go Fvck yourself if ya catch me on a lazy day..

A-B as easily as possible.. Up, cruise and down.. Pretty easy 99.999% of the time. 10k+ hours, no violations or even an ASAP... Don't make things complicated or worry about some random guy on a radio and you'll be ok

Last edited:
The pilots who care about someone else's radio calls, or zero/OH, or "checking in" are the ones who got beat up in high school or give pilots a bad name...

Some days I make proper sounding radio calls, some days probably not.. Go Fvck yourself if ya catch me on a lazy day..

A-B as easily as possible.. Up, cruise and down.. Pretty easy 99.999% of the time. 10k+ hours, no violations or even an ASAP... Don't make things complicated or worry about some random guy on a radio and you'll be ok

Only exception to this are our British colleagues and pilots of Cathay Pacific Airlines. Over there, proper radio telephony is a MUST! And you should know your Morse code, too. Otherwise, planes would just fall out of the skies!

- I ALWAYS say "with you".

- I NEVER remember what the ATIS is so I omit it from the transmission knowing that ATC will ask if I have it and then I just say "yup". That's what I call utilizing my Tax Dollars... having a Civil Servant do that part of my job for me.

- When flying in Europe I always forget that 6000 feet is actually FL60. I'm an American and we won those World Wars so, I don't have to remember their radio phraseology. They're just lucky they ain't all speaking German.

- I've been doing this airline krap for damn near 30 years. At this point I could care less how I sound on the radio.

- Well, maybe I lied a bit in the last statement. Normally I speak in a whiny biatch voice but, I always lower it to a smooth radio-broadcaster baritone for ATC comms.

:)

YKW

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back