• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New AGE limit discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I knew the guy and had flown with him. He is one of the three pilots who had an on-duty heart attack back in 2007. He was dead on a jetway until a FA put an AED on him. He came back to the line after that for a while, then he had both his knees replaced. Came back again after that and now he's dead walking through customs for a layover.

That's my point. It is obvious that he never should have been able to come back. If he had died in flight there would be considerable convesration about how this guy was able to fly again, but since it didn't happen in flight, it will be swept under the rug.

Yeah yip, you're right, here we go again- I've laid out all my reasons time and again- and you ignore them and respond with "classic, get out of my seat".
You're nothing but an irrational troll on this subject.
Refute my argument, but stop telling me what my real intentions are- I have more integrity in my pinky than most boomers have shown themselves to have in their whole body. And the difference between captain money and FO money is stupid to me- not even close to worth giving up the seniority. Upgrade thinking is regional thinking- and I get a whole lot bigger ego boost from helping to run our business, than I ever will from sitting in the left seat again-
I just don't care.
Now is it that for some? Sure. But that's not an altogether bad argument either since boomers benefitted from madatory retirement ages their whole career-
But that's not my argument - and you're reallby showing that you have flimsy arguments by always going that route

Upgrade thinking is regional thinking? Not really. You work for a company that pays its pilots very well regardless of what seat they are in. I would venture to say only UPS and FedEx pilots have that kind of luxury. It's hard to raise a family and get ahead financially on typical major FO pay. Unless your spouse chooses to work also. If you are single, then the money may not be as much of an issue. I know some folks with families simply live on less to enjoy a better schedule. But thats a personal choice, that typically changes as the family gets older. So I don't think the difference between CA vs FO is stupid.
As far as ego goes, don't sell your future FO's short either. As an FO who would you rather fly with? A guy who lives to be a Sky God? Or someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously?

It is sad that (sudden) deaths that happen outside the cockpit will not be used to debate this topic because they are not kept track of. Does it matter if an airline pilot drops dead of a heart attack if they are in the cockpit or sitting in their Lay-Z-Boy at home.

Point is, it can happen anywhere, anytime and the older you get, the greater the chances are. At a minimum, medical standards should get higher as the pilot gets older.
they do, age 40 EKG, should there be something else,? like maybe starting at age 45 must write a ACT test score of 29+ to ensure mental ability. That would thin the ranks out.

That's my point. It is obvious that he never should have been able to come back. If he had died in flight there would be considerable convesration about how this guy was able to fly again, but since it didn't happen in flight, it will be swept under the rug.

This guy would walk through the terminal and passengers would stare. He was heap of stinking, loud flab and outright flaunted his near inability to walk. He was like too many IAH CAL pilots are (like I nearly was) and refused to take care of himself in any way other than his line value. (which to be fair, he did donate a great deal of to a lot of charities) "I'm going to keep doing this til they tell me I can't" is the Houston Bubba battlecry. Roster the airline on seniority (and steal every bit of that you can) and threaten the young guys with increased medical standards. Sound about right Yip?

Like dumb said, how do you move up? Theoretically everyone should be operating a/c to the same sheet of music, every single time. There is no individualism in the cockpit and everyone's performance should be "standard." So from there how do you decide whose a 747 captain and whose a Mad dog FO?

Like the rest of the real world does. Merit, performance, experience, and skill.

they do, age 40 EKG, should there be something else,? like maybe starting at age 45 must write a ACT test score of 29+ to ensure mental ability. That would thin the ranks out.

Don't count on it. Automation and reduced workload will offset any requirement of cognitive acuity. This job's aptitude requirement is like any other that is replaced by high levels of automation. The human element can be "Dumb down."

This guy would walk through the terminal and passengers would stare. He was heap of stinking, loud flab and outright flaunted his near inability to walk. He was like too many IAH CAL pilots are (like I nearly was) and refused to take care of himself in any way other than his line value. (which to be fair, he did donate a great deal of to a lot of charities) "I'm going to keep doing this til they tell me I can't" is the Houston Bubba battlecry. Roster the airline on seniority (and steal every bit of that you can) and threaten the young guys with increased medical standards. Sound about right Yip?
Not at all, not just young guys but everyone to the same stds. When anyone cries safety in the cockpit and says only guys over age 60 must go, well that is pure "Get out of my seat" If we are truly interested in safety vs age. A common what ever test is the right answer. We all know guys under 60 that are in much worse shape than some guys we know over age 60. BTW I kid about the ACT test

Yes Yip. I know. I'm abundantly clear on what you're saying. However, if we're going to turn this into some triathalon or genius test, let's go ahead and let those enhanced standards determine your aircraft and seat as well. In other words, get rid of seniority!! The old guys don't want that...

We all know guys under 60 that are in much worse shape than some guys we know over age 60.

BTW: This is not reality. I'm looking at the oldest guys there are every week. And I've sat in the left seat for almost 3 years. It's a cliche Yip. Even for a guy like me, the young guys got the message. Get in shape!!

That is a sad story, I have always thought aviation medicals are a joke, no wonder most of us go to the easiest doctor we can find.

Latest resources

Back