• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New ABX Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The NMB will decide on release, not the NLRB. As long as progress is made in the eyes of the mediator, he will schedule more negotiations. As long as he does this, there will be no release. If he requests release due to impasse, the 3 member NMB will vote on whether or not they agree with his assessment. If not, it's back to the table, if they do it's into the 30 day cooling off period. There is no timeline on when the NMB must vote. They could render their decision in a few days, or as in the case of ASA, a year or more later.

On another note, I believe you underestimate the unity of this pilot group, our desire, and our willingness to put it ALL on the line. I have never witnessed in 12 years of ALPA membership and 4 different ALPA carriers the strength and unity that has developed. There is ALPA, and then there is DHL017 with the backing of ALPA and 60000 Airline pilots. I would not want any other union in my corner now.

It is time.

I
As far as the court action, you are saying it’s an ALPA progression. And your group just follows ALPA rather than voting that they are not representing your best interests to put the pressure on them, unless your group agrees with ALPA and does not want them to stop the action. You do understand the rulings from the NLRB before right? That there is DHL freight and Airborne freight and the cartage of each? So, rather than working with Teamsters to secure the 2 carriers as exclusive DHL carriers in the USA, ALPA would rather kill off ABX or their own Astar group as opposed to working on an agreement to enforce exclusive rights to lift within the two carriers. Seems to be the fairest thing to do considering the situation both carriers labor force is in and since it’s not ABX or Astar freight. But that’s not the course ALPA chose to take; either kill off ABX for greed or put Astar at risk.

So while I understand that most pilots at Astar do not want to force ABX workers into unemployment, I hope you understand the reactions that follow to what National is doing. Just like the ABX (not Teamster) lawsuit was a reaction from the company to ALPA trying to do what it was, but ALPA is trying to sell a bill of goods that it’s an ABX fault. That’s just not true.

Good luck at getting what your families need from your management group. I have always felt you NEVER screw with a person’s job. ALPA is trying to do it to ABX and Astar is doing it to you. And I’m sitting here looking at ABX aircraft being parked each month and hope no pilots go with them. I don’t know how many aircraft and pilots need to be let go before my job is out the door. So I look at the whole situation and ask what’s it going to take for ABX aircraft and pilots to return to growth in their flying? The more crews/equipment working secures my job so I look out for their best interest at all times. I don’t try to fool myself that Astar does not think the same thing and it was just plain stupid that ALPA has taken this mistake this far. DHL buying Airborne could have been such a great thing had it been handled differently.

Just keep perpetuating that myth.

And have a real nice day!:)

There is ALPA, and then there is DHL017 with the backing of ALPA and 60000 Airline pilots. I would not want any other union in my corner now.

What are the other 60000 airline pilots gonna do for you if you strike? Stop flying "your" freight or not cross your picket lines? ALPA is a joke when it comes to freight...pax I can understand but freight? I am glad to hear your local is united, because that is the only thing you got going for you.

I understand the mediator takes his findings to the NLRB for a ruling, but if he finds that there is progress being made and there is not an impasse and recommends such, the chances of being released are nonexistent.
FinB is correct. It's the NMB that makes the decision. I screwed up my acronyms.

As far as the court action, you are saying it’s an ALPA progression. And your group just follows ALPA rather than voting that they are not representing your best interests to put the pressure on them, unless your group agrees with ALPA and does not want them to stop the action.
It is a 017 led progression because it is our contract that has been violated. ALPA National is solidly behind 017 because this scope violation has become a "national" question. If we prevail in the 9'th circuit, the "national" question will be settled. We will then go back to the 2'nd circuit where I'm confident that the Judge will grant us our day with DHL in front of the arbitor because it is our contract that was violated. DHL will be made to make 017 whole, but NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF ANY ABX AIR PILOTS JOB.

You do understand the rulings from the NLRB before right? That there is DHL freight and Airborne freight and the cartage of each?
There in lies the rub. The Judge in the 2'nd circuit unwittingly mixed an RLA question into a NLRB bowl. Of coarse they are going to use their rules to decide on the ULP matter. Clarifying that decision is what is going on in the 9'th circuit today.And again, it was our contract that was violated.

FinB is correct. It's the NMB that makes the decision. I screwed up my acronyms.

It is a 017 led progression because it is our contract that has been violated. ALPA National is solidly behind 017 because this scope violation has become a "national" question. If we prevail in the 9'th circuit, the "national" question will be settled. We will then go back to the 2'nd circuit where I'm confident that the Judge will grant us our day with DHL in front of the arbitor because it is our contract that was violated. DHL will be made to make 017 whole, but NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF ANY ABX AIR PILOTS JOB.

There in lies the rub. The Judge in the 2'nd circuit unwittingly mixed an RLA question into a NLRB bowl. Of coarse they are going to use their rules to decide on the ULP matter. Clarifying that decision is what is going on in the 9'th circuit today.And again, it was our contract that was violated.

I guess its just a waiting game until then for the rulings and I guess we will see if your group and Astar management get things worked out. I think AV8OR is right that it will be delayed until after the holidays. That would have you guys walking the streets in the dead of winter ***ouch***. I bet if it happens you will be walking in Plantation rather than Wilmington.:D

And rotor&wing, I know I'm an arse-hole with an opinion, you're just an @$$. Its guys like you that get the strong reaction against your whole group. I hope that allows you to have a nice day. :) bye bye

Last edited:
There is ALPA, and then there is DHL017 with the backing of ALPA and 60000 Airline pilots. I would not want any other union in my corner now.

What are the other 60000 airline pilots gonna do for you if you strike? Stop flying "your" freight or not cross your picket lines? ALPA is a joke when it comes to freight...pax I can understand but freight? I am glad to hear your local is united, because that is the only thing you got going for you.

+1 :beer:

I would MUCH rather have the backing of 1.4 MILLION Teamsters in my corner.

Some quick facts from teamster.org

Teamsters Union Founded: 1903
Total Number of Teamsters: 1.4 million

The largest single employer of Teamsters members is United Parcel Service, which employs more than 200,000 Teamsters members.

The best-known Teamsters work in the freight industry. More than 120,000 Teamsters are covered by multiple employers under the National Master Freight Agreement.

The Teamsters represent 1.4 million working men and women in virtually every occupation throughout the United States and Canada. Teamsters operate computers; protect families as law enforcement officers; work as technical employees in both the public and private sectors; care for patients in hospitals and nursing homes, work as public defenders; assist customers at car rental agencies; work at leading hotels; work in schools as both principals and custodians; repair highway bridges and collect tolls on thruways and turnpikes; process, store and deliver food products; and transport automobiles, trucks, SUVs and other vehicles.

Two-thirds of Teamsters members work in one of five divisions: Warehouse, Parcel, Freight, Public Employees and Industrial Trades. The Public Employees sector is the union's fastest-growing division.

Teamsters members are also spread out geographically. The largest concentrations of Teamsters are in the regions in the Central and Eastern states.

Last edited:
The NMB will decide on release, not the NLRB. As long as progress is made in the eyes of the mediator, he will schedule more negotiations. As long as he does this, there will be no release. If he requests release due to impasse, the 3 member NMB will vote on whether or not they agree with his assessment. If not, it's back to the table, if they do it's into the 30 day cooling off period. There is no timeline on when the NMB must vote. They could render their decision in a few days, or as in the case of ASA, a year or more later.

On another note, I believe you underestimate the unity of this pilot group, our desire, and our willingness to put it ALL on the line. I have never witnessed in 12 years of ALPA membership and 4 different ALPA carriers the strength and unity that has developed. There is ALPA, and then there is DHL017 with the backing of ALPA and 60000 Airline pilots. I would not want any other union in my corner now.

It is time.

ALPA supporting it's own? Check with Commair on how supportive Delta ALPA boys honored their picket lines.

I have always wondered why a freight carrier would want to be ALPA. In the pax world you are protecting your job, as your pax can't really fly to their destination (except a few) without an ALPA crew.

Now a box, well that can be delivered by many different means...trucks, train, ship, even other aircraft that aren't affiliated with ALPA.

Having any number of ALPA "brothers" behind you only does one thing...you've got a lot of people behind you watching your freight being delivered.

I'm not saying I'm not sympathetic, it is just the reality of the world.

I guess the Fedex boys won't be crossing your lines...that'll help.

Latest resources

Back