• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New ABX Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I have expressed my distaste for your management group time and again, but have always said it does not extend to the workers. I think the upgrade remarks are in response to the threats they received by you group. I have also said in the past that I would welcome both work groups to work together and by that I do NOT mean a merger to work under your executive team.

I know they do, that’s why I asked if it was “their” version or fact.

agreed

Look, back in my wilder days I knew there were two types of people in a fight: those that jump up and down on tables and scream to the top of their lungs “I’m gonna do this, I’m gonna do that” just to get people to look who would pull the parties apart or call the cops. Then there are those who go “pssst, lets step out back and settle this thing”.

See where I’m coming from?

Oh yea, it's real evident where you are coming from.....

if you want to have ALPA continue to try and shut ABX out of DHL work, continue to expect me to bust your balls. If you want to start working together, you know what you have to do.

You're not busting mine or anyone else's balls. And once again you resort to the ABX myth of " ALPA continuing to try and shut ABX out of DHL work".

Just let us know how the vote comes out on that TA over there at ABX. Like I said before, soon you will be in the same position as the Astar group.

Oh, and have a real nice day! :)

Shooter, in a nutshell....

A. They already sked for release months ago.

B. If they don't by-God bring the checkbook to the next round, there's gonna be hell to pay....release or not, by "our biggest customer"...(What a joke. Only customer.)

C. Everything we do will be legal and measured, but probably not be very helpful to DHL retaining what marketshare they currently have. Trust me though, before some of the nukes drop, Hans will have a chance to tell Daz and McKeen to pull the limo over and get out.

D. I know yall don't believe we've got it in us, because we'd most likely go buh bye if we strike. Trust me, and this isn't spin, if we do get released, we're ready, top down, to walk away for good. Gotto grow a pair some time.

E. Management is now trying to manipulate the mediator just enough to keep us in the game through the holidays. I imagine they'll try and trickle out just enough BS in the next week to keep up the charade. However, what they may not be aware of, is that the tactics we have planned prior to release, could be more costly than they think. Release and strike would simply be the final nail most likely, for both the pilots, Daz and DHL. I and probably 90% are good with that if it comes to it.

Doug's MCkeen's a lyin sack who's a professional shakedown man. He'll say whatever, whenever to stay on message. He has nothing invested here, will get paid handsomely whether we survive or not, and could care less whether he pushes us to the edge of or over the cliff. If DHL's good with the consequenses of going with that strategy till we're gone. They'll lose even more. And I'll get a pay raise and go back to flying with my favorite captain on a corporate jet.

Not the outcome we want. But one we're prepared for. Guess we'll see. Don't forget to visit the concession stand for popcorn and beverage during the show. RedAss - Part One

AV8OR, I wish you guys the best. If Astar is getting 7%, to the ABX 1.75%, Das is getting to be a very fat cat without keeping up the cost of living for you guys. Just look at what it costs you to drive to work over the past 4 years and your eyes POP.

Since your DHL labor can/will/and does have an impact on ABX DHL labor, it's a shame you guys can't put all the grievances and lawsuits that have a negative impact on ABX to the trash because the support of the Teamsters is huge across this country and could benefit both organizations. Why ALPA can't see that is beyond me and the threat tacticts wear thin. It's not like ALPA is pushing their will against an amature labor group. They KNOW what to do, how to do it and what is right or wrong.

so I never got answer from R&W, did the mediator tell you both that you are not at an impasse?

so I never got answer from R&W, did the mediator tell you both that you are not at an impasse?
What's up Shooter, I'll try and answer that one.
R&W is half right. Last March in an open letter to our MEC, mgt suggested that both parties petition the mediator for release. Fat chance we were going to do that then, but to my knowledge mgt did in fact follow through and submit their petition which is still valid.
Our MEC has stated quite clearly that if no appreciable progress is made during the next sit down Sept 19-22, then we will submit our own petition for release citing an impasse. It is then up to the mediator to decide if an impasse does in fact exist and pass along his finding to the NLRB for a vote as to whether or not to release both parties and start the 30 day cooling off clock. This last part I'm 70% sure of. The mediator does not release the parties, he only passes his findings on to the larger body of the NLRB and they then review and vote on it.

As for dropping the action in the 9'th circuit court, at this point in the game, it's really out of our hands. If the ULP claim is left to stand, every Scope Section of every ALPA contract representing 60,000+ pilots will be unenforceable and thus wrothless.

Please understand, I don't want your job. No Astar pilot worth his or her salt does not want any ABX Air pilot's job. And the 5% lunitic fringe that says they do don't frapping matter because they are only 5 frapping %. DHL will be made to honor our contract. But it can not be done at the expense of an ABX Air pilots job. In a nut shell, I want DHL to pay, but not with an ABX Air pilots job. I believe that can be accomplished If we are to prevail and we get our date with the arbitor.

I'm not trying to change your mind on all this, I know I'll never be able to do that. But at least I can let you see my position.

Last edited:
What's up Shooter, I'll try and answer that one.
R&W is half right. Last March in an open letter to our MEC, mgt suggested that both parties petition the mediator for release. Fat chance we were going to do that then, but to my knowledge mgt did in fact follow through and submit their petition which is still valid.
Our MEC has stated quite clearly that if no appreciable progress is made during the next sit down Sept 19-22, then we will submit our own petition for release citing an impasse. It is then up to the mediator to decide if an impasse does in fact exist and pass along his finding to the NLRB for a vote as to whether or not to release both parties and start the 30 day cooling off clock. This last part I'm 70% sure of. The mediator does not release the parties, he only passes his findings on to the larger body of the NLRB and they then review and vote on it.

As for dropping the action in the 9'th circuit court, at this point in the game, it's really out of our hands. If the ULP claim is left to stand, every Scope Section of every ALPA contract representing 60,000+ pilots will be unenforceable and thus wrothless.

Please understand, I don't want your job. No Astar pilot worth his or her salt does not want any ABX Air pilot's job. And the 5% lunitic fringe that says they do don't frapping matter because they are only 5 frapping %. DHL will be made to honor our contract. But it can not be done at the expense of an ABX Air pilots job. In a nut shell, I want DHL to pay, but not with an ABX Air pilots job. I believe that can be accomplished If we are to prevail and we get our date with the arbitor.

I'm not trying to change your mind on all this, I know I'll never be able to do that. But at least I can let you see my position.

I understand the mediator takes his findings to the NLRB for a ruling, but if he finds that there is progress being made and there is not an impasse and recommends such, the chances of being released are nonexistent.

As far as the court action, you are saying it’s an ALPA progression. And your group just follows ALPA rather than voting that they are not representing your best interests to put the pressure on them, unless your group agrees with ALPA and does not want them to stop the action. You do understand the rulings from the NLRB before right? That there is DHL freight and Airborne freight and the cartage of each? So, rather than working with Teamsters to secure the 2 carriers as exclusive DHL carriers in the USA, ALPA would rather kill off ABX or their own Astar group as opposed to working on an agreement to enforce exclusive rights to lift within the two carriers. Seems to be the fairest thing to do considering the situation both carriers labor force is in and since it’s not ABX or Astar freight. But that’s not the course ALPA chose to take; either kill off ABX for greed or put Astar at risk.

So while I understand that most pilots at Astar do not want to force ABX workers into unemployment, I hope you understand the reactions that follow to what National is doing. Just like the ABX (not Teamster) lawsuit was a reaction from the company to ALPA trying to do what it was, but ALPA is trying to sell a bill of goods that it’s an ABX fault. That’s just not true.

Good luck at getting what your families need from your management group. I have always felt you NEVER screw with a person’s job. ALPA is trying to do it to ABX and Astar is doing it to you. And I’m sitting here looking at ABX aircraft being parked each month and hope no pilots go with them. I don’t know how many aircraft and pilots need to be let go before my job is out the door. So I look at the whole situation and ask what’s it going to take for ABX aircraft and pilots to return to growth in their flying? The more crews/equipment working secures my job so I look out for their best interest at all times. I don’t try to fool myself that Astar does not think the same thing and it was just plain stupid that ALPA has taken this mistake this far. DHL buying Airborne could have been such a great thing had it been handled differently.

Last edited:
If ALPA were a true unified organization, they would not be suing themselves in the USAir/AmWest merger.

sorry, I could not keep my reputation as an arse-hole if I did not throw something like that in. ;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back