• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New 1500 hour rule first affected

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fact is, if they paid a living wage, they're have no problem finding pilots and wouldn't have to come up with bullish!t excuses to the media and flying public as to why they can't maintain their schedule.

No kidding - 16 bucks per flight hour to start. $14,400 per year at min guarantee. That's what I got at Eagle in 1995 and I bailed after four months because I got recalled from furlough to a job paying twice as much.

The regionals are going to try everything they can think of to attract talent with 1500TT in the next few years - except raising starting pay. :rolleyes:

I guess you could also say that of 6327 Southwest pilots that you claim paid for their job only a small percentage would have had that opportunity if they outsourced their flying at the rate of most legacies.

If SWA outsourced 53% of their flying like American they would need only 2973 pilots.
If SWA outsourced 54% of their flying like Delta they would need only 2910 pilots.
If SWA outsourced 65% of their flying like United they would need only 2214 pilots.

Just think how much those 2900 pilot would make if SW outsourced that flying like Delta. That would have to be a payoff of at least 60% more pay to outsource that much flying! What a great idea.

No kidding - 16 bucks per flight hour to start. $14,400 per year at min guarantee. That's what I got at Eagle in 1995 and I bailed after four months because I got recalled from furlough to a job paying twice as much.

The regionals are going to try everything they can think of to attract talent with 1500TT in the next few years - except raising starting pay. :rolleyes:

The regional model doesn't work if they have to pay a living wage.

The regionals have relied on PFT (pay for training) essentially for the last decade if not longer. People are no longer paying for training because in the past you were an FO for a year or two, then CA for 3-5 years, then you go up to a major/LCC etc. However, over the last decade, FOs at regionals have seen 5-7 year upgrades.

1-2 years at 15K sucks, but can be done with help.

5-7 is is just BS.

Hopefully the regionals will die altogether. A shrinkage of flying will occur initially, but the flying will be taken back to the parent companies, and small communities will lose service.

Most RJ guys will get jobs at the majors, where they belong.

Last edited:
Justin, I beg to differ. If people have to pay an additional $5/ticket to ride on that regional airliner, then so be it. If the market will not tolerate that fare, then the aircraft should be parked, and the relevant market should lose the service. I do not believe that professional pilots need to subsidize air service - that's the governments job - when required (EAS), and it is the consumer's job to either pay a fair price for the service offered, or take an alternate form of transportation if the cost is not in their price range.

For reference, I made $20/hr as an FO on a BE99 in 1989 - almost a quarter century ago, in a 15 passenger aircraft.

Also, not all regionals rely on PFT - just the ultra-sh!tty ones.

1500 hours doesn't make a good pilot. Some of the ones getting hired now got passed up with 500 hours. Now they have another 1000 hours of reinforcing bad habits.

As far as alpa and sully and skiles, this wasn't about safer pilots, it was about hammering the regionals through staffing. That said, I agree with replacing regional flying with mainline, but don't do it through a sham safety agenda. The families of 3407 deserve better than to be exploited that way.

It's actually worse than just 50%.

American
Total Daily Flights: 6,446
Mainline Flights: 3,055 ? 47%
Outsourced Flights: 3,391 ? 53%

Delta
Total Daily Flights: 4,684
Mainline Flights: 2,149 ? 46%
Outsourced Flights: 2,535 ? 54%

United
Total Daily Flights: 5,024
Mainline Daily Flights: 1,735 ? 35%
Outsourced Daily Flights: 3,289 ? 65%

SWA+AT
Total Daily Flights: 3,368
Mainline Flights: 3,368 ? 100%
Outsourced Flights: 0

United States Total Daily Flights: 21,913
Mainline American: 3,055 ? 13.94%
Mainline Delta: 2,149 ? 9.81%
Mainline United: 1,735 ? 7.92%
SWA+AT: 3,368 ? 15.37%
Mainline Outsourced Regionals: 9,215 ? 42%
Others: 2,391 ? 10.9%

http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/2013/06/19/19/52/ePrcN.La.91.jpg

Hi Howie. Well, the latest DL contract will cut 140 RJs total from the current fleet (210 50 seaters leaving, while 70 76 seaters will be added), and that will significantly cut regional feed, while at the same time adding 88 of your 717s, recapturing a ton of DCI flying. Of course you and your Corndog associates forget to mention any of that. Sure, it got bad, but now it is getting better. Hub and spoke systems that include smaller communities, even some that your airline is dropping for good (17 former AT cities), and that shows certain mainline planes can't make money to every city.

Also, Volaris does take some of your pax to certain Mexican cities your airline doesn't want to fly to. Heck, only AT guys can currently fly to Mexico for you, at lower rates and the same plane you fly. Are you sure you don't outsource routes to cheaper pilots? I think you do Howie. Loser!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Just think how much those 2900 pilot would make if SW outsourced that flying like Delta. That would have to be a payoff of at least 60% more pay to outsource that much flying! What a great idea.

You do outsource flying to cheaper pilots, your new brothers and sisters at AT! They fly 737s too, at cheaper rates and a worse contract. Unbelievable. When other airlines merged, the FIRST thing to do was to get equal pay for same sized planes. What the heck did you guys do? Who came up with that plan? Oh yeah, never mind......wow! Someone owes a CEO payback during the next contract talks.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Stuck on troll repeat general Lee

At least try and make good arguments

Wow, Way to go swapa. Lowering the bar, paying for that job, 1 type rating at a time!

I'd rather pay to work at Southwest over Delta any day. Go ahead and keep dreaming that Delto is such a fabulous place to work, even the usual dorks on this site can't make it appealing.

Latest resources

Back