• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Santulli pledges all tax incentives back to community.

I know everybody does it and I am sure each city was in a competition and upping the ante to land the deal, but is it really the role of government to buy jobs, especially under duress? Sure the loss of NJ to the city of CMH would be significant but companies negotiate for tax incentives as agressivley as they do for a roll of toilet paper. I think it is sad that the citizens of Columbus have to pony up the estimated 100 million in estimated benfits just to keep a company in it's locale. I can't blame NJ for working the system, but isn't the system broke? Sports teams play this game all the time. They threaten to go to a city that doesn't have a team and willing to pay for one unless the team gets a new stadium. That 100 million has to come from somewhere. What's the payback? How many years? How many people actually benefit? Warren Buffet runs around complaining that his taxes are too low yet he allows one of his companies to take tax incentives from the citizens of Columbus.

My shields are up. Fire away.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — NetJets Aviation on Wednesday announced plans to keep its headquarters in central Ohio and add more than 800 jobs during the next several years.

The announcement came after the private jet company explored the possibility of moving its base of operations to another city, 10TV's John Fortney reported.

It was reported that NetJets considered expanding in Orlando, Fla. and Releigh, N.C. and Fort Worth, Texas.

NetJets' CEO Richard Santulli said his company would invest about $220 million into upgrading its facility at Port Columbus International Airport. In addition, Santulli announced plans to create space for FlightSafety International -- the NetJets' sister company that specializes in pilot training.

"Our friend Bruce Whitman, the CEO of FlightSafety International, has also committed right to build the largest flight safety facility in the world," Santulli said.

Santulli promised 810 new jobs once the facilities were completed, Fortney reported.

In exchange, the City of Columbus and the State of Ohio put together a tax incentive package totaling about $67 million, Fortney reported.

Santulli said that each penny of the incentive would find its way back into the community.

"I'll say all of the money we receive from the state and the city; we will put back into the local community and the State of Ohio," Santulli said.

Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland and Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman also attended the news conference and were upbeat about the announcement.

"The future of aviation and the future of Ohio are inseparable," Strickland said.

"It’s the most significant economic development event in my time in politics in the City of Columbus for the past 15 years," Coleman said.

NetJets is considered the first company to offer businesses and individuals the opportunity to purchase portions of business jets.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

so when are they updating the "crew lounge" in cmh? What a dump that is. Even the old first aviation was nicer then the cmh janitor..er... pilot lounge.. (not to rag on janitors, but it was a flippin dump)

Rumor is that the new crew lounge will actually have AT LEAST 2 tvs, 10 lounge chairs and 1 couch. Also, there will be a snooze room with the remnants of a Citation cockpit seat. AND the BIG NEWS... maybe a popcorn machine.. boy, life will be good then.

Sounds good, realllllllllly good...I hope this all comes to fruition, and isn't just boasting.

I am not bashing anything that has been posted, far from it, it has put a little excitement in my day....but you gotta call me Missouri, the "Show me" state.
When the official words of these gargantuan expansions come out, I'll party like its 1999, and CD drinks for free.

Till then,

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Told to keep it quiet until after RTS spoke. I did that. Whether or not they mentioned the other stuff at the meeting...is not my problem. They didn't tell me to keep that quiet. I am just repeating what was told to me by the high ups. When all this stuff happens then you can decide if it is all hype.

Sorry if it sounded like I was back pedaling earlier. Hopefully, the for mentioned list of goodies makes up for it. If not, just take a number. You will be in a long line of pilots that can bite me.:D

As far as I'm concerned, most of the news is interesting but not life changing. The EFB on the other hand is the COOLEST NEWS EVER!!!:beer:

First, thanks for the info.

The new training complex.
CMH with 25 sim bays, auditorium style lecture halls, multiple large and small class rooms some with stadium seating, cafeteria/restaurant eating areas, and more classroom and office space than we will need for the next 20 years. All wired for sound lights and computers adjacent to the existing company parking lot. Ultimately several new buildings. Construction will take 2 and 1/2 years. Making everyones lives easier and better to do training in.
Why do we need auditorium lecture halls and stadium seating? Have you been to recurrent where there are 60 folks in a room? Not exactly conducive to learning. This is why, when trying to select schools, most parents are looking for small class sizes. Did they mention where those 25 sims were coming from? One of our biggest problems now is available sim time. It would take quite a bit of time to build 25 new sims. So where are those 25 sims coming from? Additionally, there is no real advantage for me to do my aircraft training in CMH. I prefer to be AWAY from the mothership when training. My life is not easier and better training in CMH.
Aircraft orders: not sure how many or how soon but was told it will be another major deal. I can only assume it is with Gulfstream they weren't specific. Talked to a friend there but he is neither confirming or denying anything. They have bought out hotels for VIPs and set up a PR thing in one of the big hangars so I assume it is this week. More planes more movement, making everyones lives better.
If they're Gulfstreams, whether it makes anyone on our side of the fence's life better will depend on how/whether the integration happens.
New interiors for all types: including DVD screens and players for smaller a/c with new layouts and storage areas for others. Total revamp for some. Not sure about the colors. Making my life better while eating my crew meal waiting for Mr. Smith.
I'll believe that when I see it.
Alternating train/check cycles (STEP or an equivalent) for captains: which means one six month check a year will now be a nonjeoperdy training event instead of a stressful checkride. Improves safety and makes everyone's life easier and better.
That would be great. What would be better would be progressive checkrides.
EFB for newer and hopefully all A/C. No more jepp revisions or at least very few for the back ups.
How long have we been hearing that?
The rest is a bunch of new, neat, very nice to have programs that will be implemented hopefully sooner than later. Making everyone's lives easier and better.

By themselves, very nice but not earth shattering. All together I think this is a very big deal. On top of all that, new union to take care of just us pilots.

Can anyone say luck of the Irish?:D

Discuss...
You're right. Not earth-shattering. And as others have said, "show me."

Ah, NJW, I have dealt with that already. Remember?!? Uuuuhh now that you mention it...:0 That is why I am a "when I see it I will believe it" type of guy. Right. A once burned, twice shy type. Got it. I did say "guys" indicating I wasn't only thinking of you, Foz.

Good food, good beer, quite room, good TV and internet, comfortable bed, and NON feather pillows. That is all I ask, along with quality pay.
I am not asking to much am I??? There's not too many chances to drink beer out on tour is there? So you don't have to have that yuccky stuff. But if you insist, make it a green one on the 17th...;)

Did I mention NON feather pillows. Yes. :rolleyes: Who likes those things anyways??!!??

Excuse me!!! My "squishy" feather pillow is my favorite..:p (really)

Joking aside, I am very pleased for all of our NJ families and I know that we're seeing hard work pay off. That said, other frac pilots work hard, too, and it makes me mad that they're falling behind thru no fault of their own...:mad:

A round of applause for RS and the black boot for MS!

As far as I'm concerned, most of the news is interesting but not life changing. The EFB on the other hand is the COOLEST NEWS EVER!!!:beer:
Only if they pick the right one. We didn't and....aargggg. Don't get me started.

First, thanks for the info. That was nice, Grumpy...:)

Why do we need auditorium lecture halls and stadium seating? My husband recently attended a lecture on customer service with about 300 NJ employees. Now that teamwork is becoming commonplace perhaps they see a need for an auditorium? Training has been broadened to include many NJ employees. It would take quite a bit of time to build 25 new sims. But wouldn't it be worth it end the end? So where are those 25 sims coming from? I don't know; my husband has been talking about shamrocks lately, not sims. ;) Additionally, there is no real advantage for me to do my aircraft training in CMH. From your perspective, but I bet the UTC Chairman and Mr. Gorman have a different opinion. I prefer to be AWAY from the mothership when training. Some don't have problems with Flight Safety, some do. Oversight could prevent small problems from turning into major ones. My life is not easier and better training in CMH. Now UG, give them a fair chance. Jim Gorman is on the right track, and besides, it's not only about you...sigh. If they're Gulfstreams, whether it makes anyone on our side of the fence's life better will depend on how/whether the integration happens. Directly, perhaps; but working for a strong parent company does offer a sense of security so why not applaud NJI's good fortune.
I'll believe that when I see it. I've only been hearing that, from one pilot or another, since 2004...:rolleyes: There's a lot to be said for a positive attitude. Suffice it to say that the NJ pilots have been led by a proactive group with vision and I highly doubt any of us would be where we are now if a different mind-set had prevailed. Now NJASAP has gone out on a limb for the pilot group. I sure hope y'all give them your support--without waiting to see what the IBT will do for you...:( What would be better would be progressive checkrides. One STEP at a time (pun intended). In all fairness to the UTC and Mr. Gorman, there were a lot of problems to fix and surely they've come far enough to have earned a show of enthusiasm. How long have we been hearing that? The past isn't applicable because new leaders are now involved and there's a partnership that wasn't there before. It's time to start fresh with a good attitude and appreciation for all the good things that have been happening. You're right. Not earth-shattering. And as others have said, "show me."

The results are already out there. IBB was a huge turning point that was made possible by lots of meetings and joint committee work that individually weren't "earth-shattering" but taken together added up to a new way of doing business for NJA and the entire industry. Many, many lives have already been made easier because of that new attitude. You can keep "earth-shattering" events which are actually quite rare. I'll take old fashioned commitment and hard work any day. NJW

Digging in my heels to make sure that credit is given where it is due--throughout NetJets Inc.

Hey Grump.

All I can tell you is what I was told by Dave and Jim.

They did announce this today so I guess it is safe to say this is a given.

The auditorium is for large assemblies for presentations by Tand E, Ethics, managment talks with RTS, etc...lately they have been hard pressed to find rooms large enough to handle 120-150 people at one time. And by the sounds of it, the class sizes aren't going to get any smaller. They agree with you, as I do, that the individual classes need to be smaller for recurrent, indoc., etc... Next months recurrent classes are going to be over 100 total crew members. That is why they are interviewing and hiring more instructors and looking for more physical classroom space while the new complex is being built. The new digs are going to have many large and small class rooms. Dave actually said he doesn't want classes to exceed 30 people. I would say he feels the same way you do.

As for where the sims come from, I did not ask. Coming from a training backgound at an airline, I would guess they will come from all over. Some new, some used, and some not yet built. I would hope they will all be exactly like our A/C. Instead of having to learn another box just for the sim training.

The integration issue has been dealt with. I suggest you bring that up with the new union. I think that is going to be high on the list. If you don't want to fly a Gulfstream, I am sure there are plenty above and below you that will. That should improve your life a little.

New interiors: I am with you, I'll believe it when I see it. I am just repeating what I was told. I am sure this will not be an overnight process. This comes from owners not pilots.

I mentioned the "progressive" checkrides where you train to proficiency, like some airlines do. No quote here, but Dave said that the "step" type program is already approved for the FOs, so it is a relatively simple matter to get it for the captains. Where as the progressive checkrides would be a whole new program and I don't think a non 121 carrier can do the progressive type training.

The EFB: Dave and Jim said they have decided on the supplier and have several versions to choose from. He used some names but I am unfamiliar with the products and can't remember them. He used specifics, has handled demos, with NJA software loaded, and talked about writing manuals for them, which would make me think they are close to ready. Just my gut feeling.

I am just relaying information and trying to stay positive about the future. If I could "show you" and make all this stuff happen, I would do it tomorrow. If you want to beat up the messanger go right ahead.

Just promise to take your meds first.:laugh:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back