• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JPB

25 years to go
At any majors we are looking ON THE LONG RUN at:
4 to 10 millions
Home everyday with seniority
Traveling benef for life

Is Netjets able to offer anything close to that?

Last edited:
Well....

How about a job, period? You would be amazed at how may applications
Netjets has in it's stack from USAir pilots.

No, I'll probably never make 200K per year. But right now, I'll bet that
my 70K per year, 14 day month, 7 day on, 7 day off, 2 flight leg per day,
life style is looking REAL good to anyone sitting on the furlough list.

Would I give it up to go to Delta or American ? Perhaps. But since
they may not be hiring for several YEARS, that's not a consideration.

I'm just happy to be working. And as a guy who has been on the furlough
list before, having 50-75 guys a month being hired behind me gives me
a warm, fuzzy, feeling.

JPB said:
25 years to go
At any majors we are looking ON THE LONG RUN at:
4 to 10 millions
Home everyday with seniority
Traveling benef for life

Is Netjets able to offer anything close to that? Or is everyone lying to himself?:confused: :eek: :(

Whats up JPB? Why are you asking this question as though you are an outsider considering Netjets as a career choice? On another thread you indicated that you were hired by Netjets in Oct. 01 and were already 1/3 of the way up the list. Am I missing something or are you trying to deceive?

gump:rolleyes:

A career opportunity with the majors, say the top 5, is not a viable option these days. If you're young enough when they start hiring again, and can afford to be furloughed 2 or 3 times by the time you become "senior" enough not to... then maybe that would be the way to go if given the option. As for me, NetJets would be my first choice, given their continued growth in this economy and the benefits, schedule and pay do offer quality of life as compared to many "other" operations out there.

Gump88

The question is:
On the long run, are you better off with a major or a successful fractional. Keeping in mind that you may be furloughed for 2 or 3 years with the major but also that the fractional business is very new with a lot of competition to come for the next 25 years.
Didn t mean to sound like an "outsider" Gump, if I was still working for a major, I wouldn't be having this conversation.
I think I just answered my question.

Majors

Here's my bit:

Ultimately you cant allow someone else to make a descision for you. The money is better at the airlines but fractional flying is truly fun. You get great benefits at the airlines and travel but at the fractionals you can actually get a job right now. It is truly an individual choice. Money, benefits, schedules and aircraft are only a fraction(no pun intended) of the equation; personal satisfaction is truly most important.

As for the travel "benefits" afforded to airline employees, it is my opinion that here at NJA we have a MUCH better deal.

At the airlines, you get a pass that puts you on standby. Sometimes double secret standby. You may or may not get on the flight you want when you want. If you're going on vacation, this must be planned for, so you must plan for an extra day or two on each end just for travel. Oh, then you pay for your own hotel rooms.

My step sister keeps trying to use Delta passes to get around the country(Her Dad is a super senior MD-11 capt there). No good, she ends up having to wait for days or buy a ticket just to get somewhere on time.

At NJA, we get to keep all frequent flyer and hotel points which we accrue on the road. So, for free travel, we can use frequent flyer miles, which can be really useless like on American, or halfway worth using, like Continental. Even better, we use Hilton points to secure a positive space ticket as part of a vacation package or stand alone. As part of the package, the hotel is paid for, again positive space.

Went to Hawaii in March with the wife, all free for a week using Hilton points. No hassle. One phone call and it's done.

It is quite a bit better than "free" airline travel in my book, and I did not really understand how great of a benefit it was until I used it.

Toploader

Majors

I agree with the both of you. I was simply trying to be politically correct with my reply. I think if I did work for an airline I would use the passes from time to time but if I had any sort of serious plans or time constraints then the only way to go is posisitive space.

I almost went to the airlines in the mid nineties, Eagle to be exact. For some reason, call it gut instinct I backed out at the last minute. Hindsight being 20/20 it was the best move I’ve ever made.

At the time I was in my 6th year as a F/O for a good company but was becoming discouraged as most do over time with the lack of upgrades. But then I realized something… that despite it all, I was in a good job making good pay flying good equipment and I was seeing the world on someone else’s nickel staying in some rather nice hotels to boot.

Shortly after that I was hired by my present employer and within 6 months I was left seat on a G-III.

My take on the Bizjet vs. Airliner question is this,

I’m far happier flying privately and the occasional high dollar charter customer around to some rather exotic destinations, destinations that I might have never lived to see as an airline F/O or Captain, some of which aren’t even serviced by an airline.

Corporate ops do shutdown on occasion but those tend to be the smaller mid level to low-end ops, the bigger operations tend to hang on to their flight departments or go with a fractional. In the end there will always be a job for me in and around the corporate/charter arena even if they were to all shut down and go fractional, I would migrate to some one like EJI, EJM or NJ.

I believed that even before 9/11 corporate and fractional ops were here to stay and now in post 9/11 I believe it even more. Corporate operations may decelerate hiring or may even stop altogether but for companies like NJ there will always be business because there will always be large corporations who understand the benefits that only corporate aviation can provide and the airlines never in a millions years could handle.

Also I like the unpredictability of our schedule I like not knowing where I’ll be tomorrow, next week or next month. I like the Varity of destinations we see and the randomness at which we visit them.

So locations we visit I really love, we see them two or three times a year and I look forward to them, others I absolutely dread and we go there quite often, tis the nature of the beast…

Above all the ups out weigh the downs when flying corporate or fractional. What can an airline offer LAX-SFO-LAX-SEA five times a week for a month, same hotel, and same old city?

Tomorrow I’ll spend the day bumming around Dallas then I’m off to Antigua for two days. Next week I’ll send ya’ll a post card from Bergen Norway.

Just rambling…

TMMT

Latest resources

Back