NetJets vs. 121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snaab

Wanted to pick the brains of NetJets pilots...I'm currently a Captain for a regional and exploring 'the next step.' While I've always thought I'd progress in the 121 world, I recently talked with a NetJets pilot and it was interesting to hear about another side of flying I'm not intimately familiar with.

I've read about the norm (schedules, pay, equipment, etc.), but was curious about how the NetJets gig compares to the 121 world (assuming you've flown 121), upgrade times, benefits/vacation/per diem, intangibles, and anything else you feel pertinent.

Thanks very much, look fwd to your responses.

NetJets is a great place to work. I worked in the 121 world for 3 years and have been at NJA for over 2 years now. I am very happy here.

1. Upgrade time at this exact moment for someone receiving a bid as of yesturday for captain is 2 1/3 years. Now, that being said, for someone to get hired today, the upgrade time has been rumored to be 3-5 years with 5 years been more conservative. People like working here and they are not leaving. In two+ years I have moved up only 170 spots. There are lots of young guys here and upgrade will be based mainly on new aircraft joining the fleet.

Upgrade will also most likely be in out smaller fleet aircraft (Ultra, BE400, etc.).

That being said, don't come here if you are looking for a quick upgrade or have dreams of flying a G4, BBJ, or Falcon as PIC right away. Just roughly stating, to hold our larger aircraft you have to be with the company 12+ years (as of today). A new higher may wait a very very very long time to hold those planes. As an FO you have a better chance of holding a large aircraft.

2. Vacation is great. Year, one your vacation time is prorated. During your second year you get two weeks, which if you are on the 7/7 schedule, you will actually get 3 weeks off total for every one week of vacation. I forget, but the guys who have been here a long time get three weeks of vacation.

3. Benifits are the best. 401k is matched 50% by the company up to 15% of your salary. Health is fully paid for by the company, in which $0 comes out of your pay check. Perdiem is $1.70 for domestic stuff.

All in all it is a better life over on this side of the fence. I like flying everywhere and seeing everything. The company treats us good (in my opinion) and the union is top notch.

I'm sure others will add more stuff.

The real question is do you want job security or not?

NJs is not about flying big airplanes, its about knowing that when the economy goes south, were still ok. Its about knowing that when the fuel prices go up, were still ok. Its about when the security lines piss off the airline passengers, were still ok.

You will not fly the biggest planes to the same 20 airports, but you will fly small planes to 100's of airports.

Alot of good stuff put up so far one other point is at NJA I think you'll make more money in year 1 vs at the airline. You can plan on making 50K year 1. Also the company pays for hotel's during training I don't think any of the majors do this. Plus you don't have to worry about commuting which is a big plus or worry about having a Crash pad in say lovely JFK Queens like the Jetblue slobs.

Upgrade I bet will be about 5 years however, if you look at UAL, DAL, NWA or ALASKA all are saying 10-15 years to upgrade and thats still not taking into account the age 65 rule. I would look at our pay scale and only up to cat 3 pay only as I feel thats what most if not all of us will be at for most of our careers here.

Like stated before don't come here if your looking to build PIC time for another job. After flying 121 for 6 years and being a NJA pilot for 2 years I love the job and don't plan on leaving.

Good Luck

As an FO you have a better chance of holding a large aircraft.

How long would a new hire have to wait to move to a FO slot on a large aircraft? Also, what do you consider a large aircraft at NJA? Please don't think I'm trying to be smart a$$y with that last question. I just wanted to get an idea of what you meant by what you said.

Thanks so much to all the NJA guys for their inputs! I think you guys have a great company, and I hope to get my shot at sitting in one of the seats of your shiney jets!

Thanks!
Skyward80

How long would a new hire have to wait to move to a FO slot on a large aircraft? Also, what do you consider a large aircraft at NJA? Please don't think I'm trying to be smart a$$y with that last question. I just wanted to get an idea of what you meant by what you said.

Thanks!
Skyward80

Dude,
Not to be smarta$$ myself, but check it out:
http://www.netjets.com/NetJets_Fleet/NetJets_Fleet.asp
Best of luck,

Last edited:
2. Vacation is great. Year, one your vacation time is prorated. During your second year you get two weeks, which if you are on the 7/7 schedule, you will actually get 3 weeks off total for every one week of vacation. I forget, but the guys who have been here a long time get three weeks of vacation. (4 wks / yr after year 10.)

3. Benifits are the best. 401k is matched 50% by the company up to 15% of your salary. (Actually it 50% of the first 15% thru the year, then they "true up" looking back at the begining of the next year to fully match 50% of what you put it. This is a VERY important difference!) Health is fully paid for by the company, in which $0 comes out of your pay check. (Plus dental, plus vision - all 199% paid by the company.) Perdiem is $1.70 for domestic stuff.

I'm sure others will add more stuff. Yep

Get your app in now & best of luck.

The real question is do you want job security or not?

NJs is not about flying big airplanes, its about knowing that when the economy goes south, were still ok. Its about knowing that when the fuel prices go up, were still ok. Its about when the security lines piss off the airline passengers, were still ok.

You will not fly the biggest planes to the same 20 airports, but you will fly small planes to 100's of airports.

Yeah, but you might fly one of the fastest planes out there (sure, some people don't care - yadda yadda yadda). That Citation X looks like it's moving even when it is sitting on the ramp. Ask how many F16 drivers really care about the size of their airplanes...

Seriously, I have friends at Netjets and they love it - a few are from 121 backgrounds. It's totally different flying from 121 but you actually feel like you are flying vs. just monitoring systems on the same routes over and over and over. You will see new airports almost every day and you will get some exotic layovers. Plus, you would work for the true market leader - no other fractional can come close in terms of size and number of owners worldwide. Sounds like a great gig to me.

I personally love the Netjets flying, but I had a friend leave and go back to 121 because seven days was too long on the road for him and it drove him crazy when his night before briefing was rarely what he did the next day. I think only something like 65% of the next day scedule ever holds up, plus it changes throughout the day.

After flying 121 for 6 years and being a NJA pilot for 2 years I love the job and don't plan on leaving.
This about sums it up for me. I plan on staying for good. But in this business, you have no idea where we all will be in 10 years (or less). I just hope for this place hangs on for 25 years. If that happens I will be set for the golf course. :D

Latest resources

Back