• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Unrest Puts Warren Buffett in a Rare Pinch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The long and short of all the discussions on all the threads talking about Netjet's current negotiations is this:

We've been through this all before. Exact same thing. Big bad union wants big raises. Company says no. Battle ensues. Same players at the company and within the pilot group running around saying the same things. "Netjets can't afford what we want.", "We'll bankrupt the company.", "No way will clients pay any more for this product.", "Warren will sell us/shut us down if we keep doing what we're doing.". And on and on and on. The chief pilot at the time told me to my face that Netjets couldn't afford what we wanted. The company even went so far as to allow the union leadership to have a look inside "the books" to show there was no money (only a general overview, they flat out refused to allow the union to do a forensic audit).

And when all was said and done and we got most of what we wanted, the company just 6 months later entered bankruptcy, was sold off in parts, WB took a nice tax write off for the whole failed endeavour, the pilots were proven wrong, all the naysayers were out in force with various versions of "I told you so!", and it was proven once and for all that unions only hurt companies.

Oh, wait. Or was it that the company, less than a year after the contract was signed, went on to make record profits (at the time), pilots were happy, the naysayers went suddenly quiet, growth at the company exploded, a whole bunch of people at the other fractionals and even some charter operators "coincidentally" received raises (a couple of which also "coincidentally" matched our new payscales closely), some upper management who were spreading the negative word (starting with Boisture) were gone, and just 2 years later the company was back with an even better offer (financially) at IBB.

I can't predict with 100% certainty how this battle will shake out. But history has shown we have very good chances of prevailing. What will the final CBA look like? I don't know, but I'm as certain as I can be that it won't contain concessions and we'll do okay if not great. The company is making lots of money. Warren isn't going to sell us or shut us down. Like I said, I can't be 100% certain of anything, but we've been through this before with the same players saying the same things. I'm not too worried (sorry about that G4, not trying to be cavalier about it).

Folks like G4 are the product of their environment. It's why I respect his opinions and don't care to resort to insults or name calling. The former NJI folks, back in the day, were treated far superior to NJA pilots, not to mention being paid better. They had a great deal going with RTS, and only saw our union as rocking a boat they were very comfortable in (although it is a little ironic because G4 has come on here and accused me of a cavalier attitude towards my coworkers' future here, yet was part of a group in the past that didn't seem to care one little bit about our future with the company, only worried about themselves, but I digress). I remember during our lat fight when I saw one of our GV's on the ramp in PBI. I was curious what it was like inside, do I asked the F/O who happened to be nearby if I could have a look. He graciously agreed and he and the F/A gave me a nice tour of the cabin. Then I wanted to see the flight deck. I went up and there was an old crotchety captain up there. While admiring things, he took it upon himself to begin chastising me for the union activities and told me all about how we'd wreck the company if we continued. I thanked him for the look and hastily left.

The moral of that story? Just to illustrate the mindset of the former NJI folks and the fact that changing those thought processes takes time, even years after the integration. G4 is comfortable with his job and afraid we'll screw it up. I don't blame him. This kind of fight is scary. But in the end, we'll be okay and end up with a better CBA. Same thing as last time around.

I am mainly worried about my colleagues who are not so secure financially.

What a crock... You're only concerned about YOURSELF. In fact you've publicly posted how you would be the first to cross a primary picket line during a strike. This is what all self centered people are like. They play the, "I'm worried about everyone else" card, yet their actions and in your case, words, speak volumes.

In fact your being so vocal in your regards to scabbing, means you don't give a damned iota about your "colleagues". I've known guys like you in the service, the one off lone wolves that did nothing but bolster their own careers, at the expense of all others, all while claiming "I'm doing it for you".

Disgusting.

What a crock... You're only concerned about YOURSELF. In fact you've publicly posted how you would be the first to cross a primary picket line during a strike. This is what all self centered people are like. They play the, "I'm worried about everyone else" card, yet their actions and in your case, words, speak volumes.

In fact your being so vocal in your regards to scabbing, means you don't give a damned iota about your "colleagues". I've known guys like you in the service, the one off lone wolves that did nothing but bolster their own careers, at the expense of all others, all while claiming "I'm doing it for you".

Disgusting.

...sigh...

The long and short of all the discussions on all the threads talking about Netjet's current negotiations is this:

We've been through this all before. Exact same thing. Big bad union wants big raises. Company says no. Battle ensues. Same players at the company and within the pilot group running around saying the same things. "Netjets can't afford what we want.", "We'll bankrupt the company.", "No way will clients pay any more for this product.", "Warren will sell us/shut us down if we keep doing what we're doing.". And on and on and on. The chief pilot at the time told me to my face that Netjets couldn't afford what we wanted. The company even went so far as to allow the union leadership to have a look inside "the books" to show there was no money (only a general overview, they flat out refused to allow the union to do a forensic audit).

And when all was said and done and we got most of what we wanted, the company just 6 months later entered bankruptcy, was sold off in parts, WB took a nice tax write off for the whole failed endeavour, the pilots were proven wrong, all the naysayers were out in force with various versions of "I told you so!", and it was proven once and for all that unions only hurt companies.

Oh, wait. Or was it that the company, less than a year after the contract was signed, went on to make record profits (at the time), pilots were happy, the naysayers went suddenly quiet, growth at the company exploded, a whole bunch of people at the other fractionals and even some charter operators "coincidentally" received raises (a couple of which also "coincidentally" matched our new payscales closely), some upper management who were spreading the negative word (starting with Boisture) were gone, and just 2 years later the company was back with an even better offer (financially) at IBB.

I can't predict with 100% certainty how this battle will shake out. But history has shown we have very good chances of prevailing. What will the final CBA look like? I don't know, but I'm as certain as I can be that it won't contain concessions and we'll do okay if not great. The company is making lots of money. Warren isn't going to sell us or shut us down. Like I said, I can't be 100% certain of anything, but we've been through this before with the same players saying the same things. I'm not too worried (sorry about that G4, not trying to be cavalier about it).

Folks like G4 are the product of their environment. It's why I respect his opinions and don't care to resort to insults or name calling. The former NJI folks, back in the day, were treated far superior to NJA pilots, not to mention being paid better. They had a great deal going with RTS, and only saw our union as rocking a boat they were very comfortable in (although it is a little ironic because G4 has come on here and accused me of a cavalier attitude towards my coworkers' future here, yet was part of a group in the past that didn't seem to care one little bit about our future with the company, only worried about themselves, but I digress). I remember during our lat fight when I saw one of our GV's on the ramp in PBI. I was curious what it was like inside, do I asked the F/O who happened to be nearby if I could have a look. He graciously agreed and he and the F/A gave me a nice tour of the cabin. Then I wanted to see the flight deck. I went up and there was an old crotchety captain up there. While admiring things, he took it upon himself to begin chastising me for the union activities and told me all about how we'd wreck the company if we continued. I thanked him for the look and hastily left.

The moral of that story? Just to illustrate the mindset of the former NJI folks and the fact that changing those thought processes takes time, even years after the integration. G4 is comfortable with his job and afraid we'll screw it up. I don't blame him. This kind of fight is scary. But in the end, we'll be okay and end up with a better CBA. Same thing as last time around.

Good post, but how did my group not care about the future of our coworkers? I must have missed that. And I apologize for the behavior of that Crusty Captain. I would have welcomed you aboard unreservedly.

The NJ pilots have exposed G4 for what he is, so he has been posting on the Flex/FO threads and been carrying managements message over there.

Last edited:
Good post, but how did my group not care about the future of our coworkers? I must have missed that. And I apologize for the behavior of that Crusty Captain. I would have welcomed you aboard unreservedly.

I think more of you care NOW, since we're all one group.

But back during our last fight in '04-'05 none of you supported us at all. I spoke with many NJI crews at hotels, FBO's, restaurants, wherever. The vast majority of you were very nice and a lot of fun to hang with. Great road stories. Even helped me out with a pinch or two I found myself in.

However, talk would inevitably come around to our negotiations. How could it not? It was the big "happening" at the time. And while most were nice about it, I couldn't find a singe one of you who supported us, or could even just say "good luck". The theme was the same: we're wrecking the company and just be happy we have what we have.
If you ask me, kind of a cavalier attitude towards the careers of those of us who essentially worked at the same company. You were treated better, paid better, given better schedules (you rarely sat on FBO rot), ate better food (no crewfood program for you back then), stayed in nicer hotels (mostly), could live and airline out of more cities than us, and were able to work things out on your own with schedulers regarding days off and such.

Mostly what we wanted was to be treated the same. And the vast majority of the NJI folks told us not to rock the boat.

If you didn't think that way I apologize. But while nice about it, I never met one of you, not one, who thought we were doing the right thing.

Ah well, water under the bridge. Just wanted to explain my comment about you not caring at all about our careers and why I find it ironic to have you chastise me about being cavalier towards my coworkers' careers.

I think more of you care NOW, since we're all one group.

But back during our last fight in '04-'05 none of you supported us at all. I spoke with many NJI crews at hotels, FBO's, restaurants, wherever. The vast majority of you were very nice and a lot of fun to hang with. Great road stories. Even helped me out with a pinch or two I found myself in.

However, talk would inevitably come around to our negotiations. How could it not? It was the big "happening" at the time. And while most were nice about it, I couldn't find a singe one of you who supported us, or could even just say "good luck". The theme was the same: we're wrecking the company and just be happy we have what we have.
If you ask me, kind of a cavalier attitude towards the careers of those of us who essentially worked at the same company. You were treated better, paid better, given better schedules (you rarely sat on FBO rot), ate better food (no crewfood program for you back then), stayed in nicer hotels (mostly), could live and airline out of more cities than us, and were able to work things out on your own with schedulers regarding days off and such.

Mostly what we wanted was to be treated the same. And the vast majority of the NJI folks told us not to rock the boat.

If you didn't think that way I apologize. But while nice about it, I never met one of you, not one, who thought we were doing the right thing.

Ah well, water under the bridge. Just wanted to explain my comment about you not caring at all about our careers and why I find it ironic to have you chastise me about being cavalier towards my coworkers' careers.

Fair enough. I was one of the guys who hoped you got a deal as good as ours, while hoping it wouldn't hurt the company. My concerns about that never came to fruition, which is a good thing, and you guys are paid a lot better now. Now I think we are paid pretty much right. I could be wrong again, incredibly. :)

Latest resources

Back