• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets To Picket

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good post! Other than inefficiencies in CMH, we are happy with the company. We don't get y'all and your unhappiness at all. Maybe we are missing something. We are mainly hoping the union doesn't screw up a good thing. Just a different way of observing the same phenomena. :)

Got it. I respect your opinion of the union, even if it's not favorable.
However, I'd still be curious to know your answers to the questions I posted.

Also curious to know how the union will mess up a good thing? What, specifically, has the union done to reduce the quality of this job? For the record, we on the "A" side were hoping that when the integration was complete that the company would adopt more of NJI's practices than sticking with the "A" side's practices. Sadly, it didn't work out that way. But I'd love to hear how you think that was the union's doing (if that's what you believe).

Who changed the airlining policy? Who switched the 401k without any details and completely in violation of the CBA? Who brought the IRS in so that we're now taxed beyond 2 crew meals (I realize that the "I" side didn't do per diem, but as we are now all under the CBA, you get per diem and the new crew food/per diem tax rules affect you too)? Who wants to alter our scope clause so they can allow more outsiders to do our flying? Who decided that the Gulfstream program was essentially over and we are going with Globals (which, by the way, if it hadn't been for the integration would have spelled the end of your employment here.)? Who has decided to start bringing pilots to CMH for a carpet dance for using our supposedly 'no fault' fatigue call policy?

There's just too much more to post here. But given all of that, what is causing you to question if the UNION is going to mess things up? Who is responsible for all of that? Who is trying to prevent a great deal of that? Integration aside (I suspect that would have happened with this new management team even without the union asking for it), what has the union done that makes you wonder if the union is going to mess up a perfectly good job? Okay, you don't like the tone and content of Luthi's messages. Fair enough. But what, exactly, is he advocating that would make this job worse?

The only people I see trying to make the job less than what it once was are not working for the union.

We don't get y'all and your unhappiness at all. Maybe we are missing something. We are mainly hoping the union doesn't screw up a good thing.

The union is the only thing preventing this management team from turning this into a $27,000-a-year job again, with regional QOL.

Just a different way of observing the same phenomena. :)

You guys keep observing. We'll keep doing the legwork, as always.

Also curious to know how the union will mess up a good thing? What, specifically, has the union done to reduce the quality of this job? For the record, we on the "A" side were hoping that when the integration was complete that the company would adopt more of NJI's practices than sticking with the "A" side's practices. Sadly, it didn't work out that way. But I'd love to hear how you think that was the union's doing (if that's what you believe).

Who changed the airlining policy? Who switched the 401k without any details and completely in violation of the CBA? Who brought the IRS in so that we're now taxed beyond 2 crew meals (I realize that the "I" side didn't do per diem, but as we are now all under the CBA, you get per diem and the new crew food/per diem tax rules affect you too)? Who wants to alter our scope clause so they can allow more outsiders to do our flying? Who decided that the Gulfstream program was essentially over and we are going with Globals (which, by the way, if it hadn't been for the integration would have spelled the end of your employment here.)? Who has decided to start bringing pilots to CMH for a carpet dance for using our supposedly 'no fault' fatigue call policy?

There's just too much more to post here. But given all of that, what is causing you to question if the UNION is going to mess things up? Who is responsible for all of that? Who is trying to prevent a great deal of that? Integration aside (I suspect that would have happened with this new management team even without the union asking for it), what has the union done that makes you wonder if the union is going to mess up a perfectly good job? Okay, you don't like the tone and content of Luthi's messages. Fair enough. But what, exactly, is he advocating that would make this job worse?

The only people I see trying to make the job less than what it once was are not working for the union.
Again, you earn your FI.com handle. Good post, full of fact and reality.

SICs gotta bail. I love it.

I meant hopefully they will get a job that's even better than the one at NJA. I am hoping a good thing will come out of the furloughed pilots' adversity. My info is a lot of our laid off pilots snagged really good jobs.

The specifics are valid, and will be worked out in time. My worry is macro. I am worried the union will gradually increase NJAs operating costs to the point where we can't compete in the marketplace. In my formative years, I saw the Eastern Airlines employees perpetually at war with their employer. They eventually created such an underperforming company that the stock was worth more dead than alive, creating Frank Lorenzo. He was not the problem, the underproductive and sullen unions, especially the machinists, were the problem. Lorenzo merely bought the dead carcass.

I meant hopefully they will get a job that's even better than the one at NJA. I am hoping a good thing will come out of the furloughed pilots' adversity. My info is a lot of our laid off pilots snagged really good jobs.

I appreciate your good wishes. The reality is that there are a lot of great guys who were furloughed from NJA whose careers are in ruins and their personal lives have been severly negatively affected. The current job market is beyond horrible and we cannot afford to wait for a recall or when the majors may begin hiring in 2012. When a pilot is out of the cockpit for a few months, most employers do not consider him for employment. As a furloughed pilot, I would say that a select few furloughed pilots found some really cool jobs, some furloughed pilots found decent jobs that pay the bills and keep them current, and most of us are suffering greatly right now. Myself, I am doing well, but I have a lot of experience and got lucky being in the right place at the right time and was willing to make a great sacrifice to stay employed. But my QOL is nowhere near where it was at NJ.

I appreciate your good wishes. The reality is that there are a lot of great guys who were furloughed from NJA whose careers are in ruins and their personal lives have been severly negatively affected. The current job market is beyond horrible and we cannot afford to wait for a recall or when the majors may begin hiring in 2012. When a pilot is out of the cockpit for a few months, most employers do not consider him for employment. As a furloughed pilot, I would say that a select few furloughed pilots found some really cool jobs, some furloughed pilots found decent jobs that pay the bills and keep them current, and most of us are suffering greatly right now. Myself, I am doing well, but I have a lot of experience and got lucky being in the right place at the right time and was willing to make a great sacrifice to stay employed. But my QOL is nowhere near where it was at NJ.

We need a healthy growing economy as soon as possible. Best wishes to all.

The specifics are valid, and will be worked out in time. My worry is macro. I am worried the union will gradually increase NJAs operating costs to the point where we can't compete in the marketplace. In my formative years, I saw the Eastern Airlines employees perpetually at war with their employer. They eventually created such an underperforming company that the stock was worth more dead than alive, creating Frank Lorenzo. He was not the problem, the underproductive and sullen unions, especially the machinists, were the problem. Lorenzo merely bought the dead carcass.

You do understand your are maybe one of the .01% of pilots who may actually think Lorenzo wasn't a problem...... It would be one thing if your opinion just differed, but you're on a whole new level of out there. I hate to say it but ya gotta grow a back bone man....... I'm not against differing opinions but really???

Lorenzo is considered, among other things, the worst thing ever to happen to an airline pilot in the 80's and early 90's. He was doing his thing before I was even in high school. And even I know he was a complete jacka.ss.....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back