• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets - Say Hello To Your First Global

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think its funny you call an F-111 a fighter..... I kid....

LOL. It was a rather ungainly fighter, other than faster than a raped ape. One night in the O-club (one of many) I did challenge a lawn dart pilot (F16) to a fracus in the Scottish Highlands. When he asked where and when, I said 200' AGL at midnight, and he said 'are you nuts'? I still am.

Geez..... What a bore!

G4, I'm in the low 1500's. You can have my spot (unless your senior of course). (I guess there are about 120 plus GLC guys junior to me)

Listening to these posts, the thought of being stuck in a cockpit with such elite pilots is more than I could bare. (Ug!)

I just don't understand how you guys were born with all that experience? Gotta go call my Army buddy, he's an MD-11 pilot, we used to fly helicopters together. (I was his IP)

Say, how much time do you guys log when you fly 60 minutes?

HAhahahahahahaha!!!!!! Have a great day heroes!!!!

You could very well be right. A couple of Union guys have told me that NJA will probably want to staff the Globals with displaced "Guffstream" pilots. Other pilots for the Globals would obviously come from non seat locked senior gold tie pilots, and that's as it should be. They are sure going to get some interesting trips!

Add one more union guy telling you how it will go down...

The SDP slots will be open to interviews not bids. This is where you Gwhizzers get to feather the nest. After those slots are filled with the fair haired children then it will (we assume) go to open bids for the lowly line guys. This is where (horror of horrors) you'll have bid what you can hold assuming you've been displaced.

Why do you think there will be "interesting trips"? Any more interesting than the 20k retired airline Cpt sitting in my right seat when I was a newly minted PIC here with only 3k?

I can assure you as professionals, if I'm troubled by that grueling approach into LHTA I'll gladly defer to you sir.

Always makes me chuckle. Ran into one of those super G pilots in HPN who said a few years in the right seat would be necessary for those gold ties to learn the trade. The look I got when I told him I was in my early 20's when Uncle Sam gave me a $40 million fighter to tool around Europe and East Asia in the 80's was classic. I still bow in their presence-not. It ain't rocket science.

There are exceptions... and I'll bet that you won't be in the first Global class.
Like it or not, with a few notable and great exceptions, the super senior gold ties didn't get hired with your qualifications. This was where the misfits went.
Still, it won't take "a few years" though I like to see it to adjust their attitudes.

Probably a lot of headaches over nothing. We may possibly take 120 of these planes over 10 years?! Really? Based on what I'm hearing, no way will they sell anywhere near that well. My guess is we'll take 3/year, if we're lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great plane. But we barely operated half that many Gulfstreams in our heady days of massive growth. But somehow we're going to sell twice as many Globals as we ever had Gulfstreams without the same conditions we had pre-2008 (and which I doubt we'll ever see again)?

I realize we don't have that many FIRM orders, but I just don't think we're going to be operating a massive fleet of Globals.

As for who will fly them, my guess is it'll be Gulfstream pilots. Our contract is pretty open-ended about how displacements work. This EMT is very bottom-line oriented. And it makes the most financial sense to simply move displaced Gulfstream pilots into the Globals. Using that method, you only pay for one training event per pilot. If the Globals are opened up to straight seniority bidding company-wide, a lot of senior 'A' folks will go to the Globals. But you still have to do something with the Gulfstream pilots whose planes are going away. So now they'd be paying for the training for the Globals AND training the G pilots in something else. And if it's straight seniority bidding, the company will also have to replace the 'A' pilots who go to the Globals with other pilots, and it most likely would be with more 'A' pilots, since we have so many who are senior to the Gulfstream pilots. A straight seniority bid creates a whole bunch of expensive training events.

I am a pretty senior 'A' pilot. Only have a handful of G pilots senior to me. But I'm resigned to the fact that even if we take 6 Globals a year (very unlikely in my opinion) it's going to be a long time before I ever fly the Globals. With displacements, all the GIV pilots are ahead of me, plus a great deal of the super senior 'A' pilots who may want it (my seniority is in the mid-100's).

Oh well, that's just the way it goes. I would've enjoyed the longer trips. And higher pay scale. But I'll enjoy the CL300, or TEN, or 2000S or whatever super-mids we end up with.

There are exceptions... and I'll bet that you won't be in the first Global class.
Like it or not, with a few notable and great exceptions, the super senior gold ties didn't get hired with your qualifications. This was where the misfits went.
Still, it won't take "a few years" though I like to see it to adjust their attitudes.

I am sure there are plenty of gold tie pilots who will do just fine on the Gulfstream/Globals. Experience is key, of course, and a willingness to learn the peculiarities of China, Saudi Arabia, etc. The gold tie guys who have come here have done great, with a few exceptions.

Latest resources

Back