• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
True, you have a point. But I can't see B.N. getting rid of all those former NJI folks. Then again, he has flat out lied to them in the past soooo... Time will tell. Lets hope for the best..

Contractually, they are supposed to sit down and begin talks in November.

That's what I don't completely understand.... The Union acts like the company is going to be oh so sinister and "decide" to re-negotiate the contract this(next)year..... When in reality it is supposed to be up for negotiation this year... Certain parameters have to be met to extend it. And even if those parameters were met it still doesn't mean the company must extend it...

It'll have been 5 years since IBB '07.... Don't see anything wrong with the fact that it is time to start negotiations again.

That's what I don't completely understand.... The Union acts like the company is going to be oh so sinister and "decide" to re-negotiate the contract this(next)year..... When in reality it is supposed to be up for negotiation this year... Certain parameters have to be met to extend it. And even if those parameters were met it still doesn't mean the company must extend it...

It'll have been 5 years since IBB '07.... Don't see anything wrong with the fact that it is time to start negotiations again.

The contract is amendable in May of 2013. If the company wishes to exercise the "Extension Option" (which takes it out until May 2016) they have to inform the Union by November of this year. Otherwise they are obligated to sit down and begin negotiations.

Even though they would be required to sit down with us, nothing compells either side to agree on anything.

I have heard the personal opinions of a few individual union leaders on whether or not they believe the option to extend will be utilized, but nothing I've heard from our Union implies anything "sinister"

Personally, I would be surprised if they utilized the Extension option at all and fully expect them to begin negotiations in November. They've already started to ramp-up the rhetoric to gain a little more leverage for company negotiators. ("We're making money, but we're not making enough money...." "the pilots continue to be our most expensive barrier to financial bliss..." "if you would only give us Scope relief, everything would be so much more Awesome!" "blah, blah, blah..." -- you get the idea...)

The Extension option requires that they provide CPI increases to our salaries. It also stipulates if International Revenue Flights fall below a certain threshold, they have to recall a number of pilots from furlough.

Why would they "tie their hands" this way when it would be easier (and cheaper) to simply sit down and drag negotiations out for a few years? (of course to play that game, they have to be certain we won't begin to explore "self-help" options)

I wonder how many of those weenies crying about a possible extension when the contract was voted in are hoping that the contract gets extended now?

I rather not negotiate for a few more years. Not until we accelerate from the recession and start to grow again.

In today's climate, it's nothing but "bad news bears" if we negotiate now. The EMT is going to go after our benefits (make us start paying some if it, probably reduce coverage and push more expenses on us), and I'm sure the 401k 50% match will get attacked. Next they will want new scope and try to screw us like how the reginals killed the jobs over at the majors. Then they will change the wording for the downgrades and about 700 of us will get downgraded. And will it pass? Sure. They will promise a large increase in pay for captains and even higher increase for the super senior guys and there will be just enough votes to get this thing through.

I rather not negotiate for a few more years. Not until we accelerate from the recession and start to grow again.

In today's climate, it's nothing but "bad news bears" if we negotiate now..

That is EXACTLY how I feel. but I'm afraid our CEO might wanna impress Mr. Buffet

Who believes a new contract will be done in less than a few years? The bulk of the pilots aren't going to reach their respective pay scale tops for a few more years and that should help a bit in having the will power to day no to concessions while giving the economy time to get going better. I really hope they don't extend. If they do that, we may very well be into another down cycle before getting anything done. I don't think the pilot group will be willing to sell out with the company making money, which they are hard pressed to show on the books by Berkshire. I could see management show smaller profits while putting the money into the debt payments instead, but they are under pressure to preform on paper at least a little which should make it very difficult to cry poor. Another advantage we have is that the bulk of the pilots here still have well over ten years before retirement and that should help gain no votes for contract concessions that slowly bleed a union out- like scope. Watch Delta's senior pilots sell out the entire airline industry since the scope they give up probably won't have time to bite them and they can make a bit more money now, though still less than the contract they had in 2000.

I wonder how many of those weenies crying about a possible extension when the contract was voted in are hoping that the contract gets extended now?

Exactly....I remember hearing about the extension being a bad part of the IBB.. How we were all gonna get screwed with an extension. And how we were going to get stuck at IBB wages/work rules until 2016 or later...

Now, everyone wants it to extend (including the Union)..... Anything to start a doom and gloom scenario I guess.

Extend or not, NJASAP is not going to be negotiating in the Great Recession... Which is a good thing.

Latest resources

Back