Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gunfyter said:
And the way I do the math.

If 2000 pilots take the HBA right now. The seniority list would have to grow to nearly 6000 before the next pilot gets an HBA. 3800 more newhires from now.

We have around 2200 pilots right now (we'll use that number).

Let's just say all 2200 pilots elected HBA participation. Remember, you still have HBA eligiblity if you don't WAIVE your HBA rights even if you live and work at a domicile.

The company may limit the # of HBA pilots to 30% on the most current seniority list.

IF the company did limit participation to 30%, then we would need to hire 5,135 pilots before the very first pilot hired after TA ratification would be allowed to HBA it. We would need 7,335 pilots on the seniority list...with only 2,200 "guaranteed" the use of the HBA system.

7,335 * .3 = 2200.5 (30% of the "current seniority list")

If you are hired and the company insists that you report to a domicile, just tell them no. The company CAN offer a newhire HBA participation to new hires if they can't get enough new pilots on property. Of course, a no might mean you don't get the job so it all depends on whether you want to move or not.

That's how I read it.

"13.1(b) Home Base Airport Participation
The Company may limit Crewmember participation in the Home Base Airport system to thirty (30) percent of the total number of Crewmembers on the most current seniority list, including crewmembers who have relinquished Home Base Airport rights pursuant to Section 13.2(b). Such percentage may be less than thirty (30) percent if crewmembers designate Domiciles, or more than thirty (30) percent because of grandfather rights as defined in Section 13.1(a)."

Last edited:
TurboJetCpt.......

So what---- new hires aren't going to be able to get an HBA assignment. The Company only wants those guys out of CMH, TEB, DAL, LAX and PBI.

They'll hire the few qualified pilots from those areas and then the pool is going to dry up.

Once that happens they will have to do what they did 7 years ago....expand the HBA (gateway) system. Its absolutely amazing they didn't learn that from the past.

I wonder if they think they are going to get a huge influx from any "aquisitions" that might come in the near future? I guess those folks might getted "rooked" over pretty bad....."Oh, you still want a job?..Then you'll have to move!!!! TEB is nice this time of year.....and by the way....Merry Christmas"

DO-82 driver said:
TurboJetCpt.......

So what---- new hires aren't going to be able to get an HBA assignment. The Company only wants those guys out of CMH, TEB, DAL, LAX and PBI.

They'll hire the few qualified pilots from those areas and then the pool is going to dry up.

Once that happens they will have to do what they did 7 years ago....expand the HBA (gateway) system. Its absolutely amazing they didn't learn that from the past.

I wonder if they think they are going to get a huge influx from any "aquisitions" that might come in the near future? I guess those folks might getted "rooked" over pretty bad....."Oh, you still want a job?..Then you'll have to move!!!! TEB is nice this time of year.....and by the way....Merry Christmas"

exactly...
I just don't think it's going to work for the company...

Base limited to 5

May see some pilots sign on and get a new type rating and a few hours on the new aircraft.

Eat at Steve's Steak House in TEB, network on the road and move on with no training contract.

Looks as if you might have started a type rating mill.

Or they might rethink the HBA and save training cost.

Mobie

TurboJetCpt said:
exactly...
I just don't think it's going to work for the company...

No 2 year contract?

mobie said:
May see some pilots sign on and get a new type rating and a few hours on the new aircraft.

Eat at Steve's Steak House in TEB, network on the road and move on with no training contract.

Looks as if you might have started a type rating mill.

Or they might rethink the HBA and save training cost.

Mobie

Wait there is no training contract?!?!? Is the airplane type included in the letter of hire along with base assignment?

Grizz said:
If the TA is ratified, training contracts are a thing of the past.

Yet more proof that NJA is REALLY desperate for bodies.

HOWEVER... good riddance to the freakin' training contract!!!!!

Latest resources

Back