Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets "newhire to captain" timeframe??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't worry about the upgrade. I'm a 3rd year f/o on the 18 day and without any ot, holiday pay or after midnights for the next few months will make 90k this year.

I wouldn't worry about the upgrade. I'm a 3rd year f/o on the 18 day and without any ot, holiday pay or after midnights for the next few months will make 90k this year.

+1 for this. It is definitely going to be awhile for the new hires but SIC pay here doesn't suck. You could probably safely assume 6 years and if it comes sooner then you can be pleasantly surprised. They told me 2 years when I got hired - I've been here three and still have 80 people in front of me. The point I am trying to make is you will be comfortable until your number comes up. Trust me when I say it wasn't always so.

+1 for this. It is definitely going to be awhile for the new hires but SIC pay here doesn't suck. You could probably safely assume 6 years and if it comes sooner then you can be pleasantly surprised. They told me 2 years when I got hired - I've been here three and still have 80 people in front of me. The point I am trying to make is you will be comfortable until your number comes up. Trust me when I say it wasn't always so.

I'll second that. The upgrade will come when it does. I make more now as a new hire than I did as a six year Capt. at ASA. Had I gone to any other place, I'm fairly sure the upgrade would have been at least 5 years (without the fo pay I'm getting now). In addition to the pay, it's a great feeling to be part of a company that controls it's own future and treats it's fellow employees with class.

I'll second that. The upgrade will come when it does. I make more now as a new hire than I did as a six year Capt. at ASA. Had I gone to any other place, I'm fairly sure the upgrade would have been at least 5 years (without the fo pay I'm getting now). In addition to the pay, it's a great feeling to be part of a company that controls it's own future and treats it's fellow employees with class.

AMEN....

10yrs, but I believe it was Wolf Pack that said you don't take a job at place based on when you would upgrade.

Pleez, pleez, pleez take upgrade time into account. It only makes sense to and there is a lot of factual information you can use to make an informed decision (or at least to come up with a "best case" upgrade time).

NJA will become a place where upgrade becomes rare. Especially if you are a forty-something (there are a lot of thirty-something Captains).

Attrition at 80-100 per year is accurate, but the more years you stay, the more of those quitting will be junior to you...so you have to account for that into your upgrade time.

But, if you can get in as close the 3,000 on the list as possible, you still should get the benefit of upgrade from growth (according to the company's goal of 5,000 pilots).

Sorry, but I hear a lot of folks say don't worry about upgrade time, and I don't think that is wise.

3YR FO base pay is about 78K on the 18-day. How do you make 90K without the premium pays?

3YR FO base pay is about 78K on the 18-day. How do you make 90K without the premium pays?

I think he means: if he doesn't get ANY MORE premium pay, he will hit 90k. Already got the OT and extended days to hit that mark for the year.

But, if you can get in as close the 3,000 on the list as possible, you still should get the benefit of upgrade from growth (according to the company's goal of 5,000 pilots).

That's an old "goal", that 5000 number. There's going to be more of an emphasis on quality service than there will be on reaching a level of 5000 pilots. The last word I heard is that the company wants the NetJets name to have exclusivity rather than being like McDonald's or Walmart in terms of size.

Sorry, but I hear a lot of folks say don't worry about upgrade time, and I don't think that is wise.

While it's great to have an estimate on upgrade times, any estimate is essentially meaningless. So many factors can effect company growth and attrition to make an upgrade estimate invalid just a few months after it is given. While I think most people are probably pretty close with an estimate of 6-7 years to upgrade for a NJA new-hire, it's possible that it could be shorter... or longer. "Your mileage may vary", as the car ads say.

Latest resources

Back