• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets hiring percentage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would rather be an SIC at NJA than a widebody captain at any Major, cargo, traditional, national, regional.... and I am!

You said widebody captain. Which would put you in or close to the top 5 percent. And I never said an FO would make 150-200k. Guess you might need to look at your previous posts. And as far as schds go, I also have a friend of a family member who flys 9-11 days month on a widebody, and still loves life, and drops and trades trips and he pleases. Some months he drops down to 6 days a month, could you ever drop anything at nja? Go enjoy ur 10hr turns, vacuuming, catering and hot spare for the next 7 years waiting for upgrade.

Oh, and last I check the 727 wasn't a widebody. And which 121 carriers have you worked for? Regionals? NJA is far ahead of any regional, but for you to state that a NJA SIC is a better job that a Widebody captain at one of the premium companys out there, you sir are just plain wrong.

Last edited:
I would rather be an SIC at NJA than a widebody captain at any Major, cargo, traditional, national, regional.... and I am!

I am just trying to figure out which regionals and nationals have wide bodies.

Anyway, If I was a senior wide body captain at most carriers I think I would be happy. Starting now, I would by pass the hassle and go to NJA if I could.

If you are just starting your airline career now if you have your sights set on being a wide body capt, there are a few things to consider. During your extremely long wait you will have to deal with decreased pay and benefits, the economy where for some reasons airlines will not pass on costs to customers, mergers, bankruptcies, etc etc. Its a long road that could kill many but usually just turn you grey or take your hair altogether.

You said widebody captain. Which would put you in or close to the top 5 percent. And I never said an FO would make 150-200k. Guess you might need to look at your previous posts. And as far as schds go, I also have a friend of a family member who flys 9-11 days month on a widebody, and still loves life, and drops and trades trips and he pleases. Some months he drops down to 6 days a month, could you ever drop anything at nja? Go enjoy ur 10hr turns, vacuuming, catering and hot spare for the next 7 years waiting for upgrade.

Oh, and last I check the 727 wasn't a widebody. And which 121 carriers have you worked for? Regionals? NJA is far ahead of any regional, but for you to state that a NJA SIC is a better job that a Widebody captain at one of the premium companys out there, you sir are just plain wrong.

Then why don't you go to a Legacy (Delta, United, NWA are hiring) and leave your TERRIBLE job at NJA. Then you wouldn't have to waste your time telling us what an awful place NJA is and how much better off we'd be somewhere else. I've done international on a widebody and am in no hurry to do it again. And, the premium companies now were not the premium companies 10 years ago... you never now who's going to be on top. These days we are all hedging our bets.

And, the premium companies now were not the premium companies 10 years ago... you never now who's going to be on top.

That's why I'm quitting NetJets to go work for Skybus. It can only get better.... :laugh:

I agree -- kman needs to quit and go scratch his airline itch, and make room for more people who want to be here. Nobody likes flying with a disgruntled pilot.

I never said it was a terrible job, I think this is a pretty dang good job, and will get better down the road, but if i get the chance and the timing is right I will take my shot.

Guys don't get me wrong, im grateful for the position im in, and im not disgruntled when i fly. I don't even talk about the airlines or other jobs unless the other guy brings it up.

It just hits a nerve when people think this is the "only" good job left. And it just doesn't make sense to me that anybody would just on the pay alone and job security, would say I rather make 70k, be junior on a seniority list and work more days, rather than make 150k and work less days and have several thousands of people underneath me on a seniority list. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I guess I was a little harsh earlier, but a little pissed off about my 3 10hr turns this tour and the company forcing us to drop the F bomb. I should have came across with a little more professional courtesy. I guess I don't have the big picture when they decide to put me on standby to cover an "area" and reduce what could have been a 12-14 overnight to a 10hr overnight three times this week. My apologizes.

Last edited:
Ok I'll jump in on this one....I don't have widebody experience, but I do start at nj in the near future....for me personally....if I can make good money, enjoy the work I do, and the people I do it with, have some variety in the flying, nice equipment, I'm happy. Don't get me wrong, everyplace has issues, it comes down to how you let them get to you. I did work at a "crappy" regional, which at the time was one of the better ones, and yes I can tell already that nj will be better. I think what it comes down to is what kind of flying do you want to do? The airlines are great for some people, and for others not so much. Myself, I just didn't want to gat paid crap for the first couple of years, and wonder if i was going to get furloughed in the near future.....

Thats just me tho.....my $.02.....to each his own...

Amphib, you hit it on the head. However, if you want to continue this apples to oranges comparison, I was a widebody captain at a legacy carrier until I turned 60 less than 2 weeks before the law changed to 65. If I could have stayed, of course I would have. You don't give up 31 years of seniority (equal to 20 years after 2 mergers). That said, I am hoping to get a new start at NJ. This type of flying will be new to me but it sounds interesting. As far as loading bags, cleaning planes and young captains, I think that will be ok. And super customer service will be like heaven compared to what I am used to.

It is my belief that the POSTA was done by some senior pilots, then the CBA 05 and the IBB was done by a more junior pilot group. Again, it is my belief that the more senior pilots are the NO votes on both contracts. During IBB, most of the guys bitching on the union message boards were the senior guys.

(for the uninformed....POSTA was going to pay captains $65,000....then CBA 05 was well into the $100,000s).

As far as me getting along with my fellow crewmembers.....I am easy going. I could care a less. I have more time in the flare than most captains have in the air. I have been there, done that. Now its all about days off, and getting paid. I really havent had a problem with any of the guys that I fly with....well maybe one. But I have talked to a few idiots in the FBOs (maybe you know a Falcon Capt thats based in PHX) and read some stuff on the message boards that puts off a negative tone. Maybe I shouldnt have said "most", but instead, "a few". ....unfortunately, its the few bad guys that we remember. Not all the great guys.

Again, NJs is a great company. Only wish that I was hired sooner.

As far as hiring.....
interviewing 4-5 days a week.
10/day.
hiring about 33% of interviewed.
getting 150 apps/week.
700 apps on file.
hiring 450 in '08.

phone interview.
technical interview.
customer service interview.
sim.....(might be going away).

Good luck.

Sorry to correct you, but these are the correct numbers:

Interviewing two groups of ten twice a week (20)
Hiring 50% of those interviewed (on avg)
75 NEW apps a week
Hiring 400 in "08

This info came directly from Derinda and the head of training last week.

It just hits a nerve when people think this is the "only" good job left. And it just doesn't make sense to me that anybody would just on the pay alone and job security, would say I rather make 70k, be junior on a seniority list and work more days, rather than make 150k and work less days and have several thousands of people underneath me on a seniority list. It just doesn't make sense to me.

a little pissed off about my 3 10hr turns this tour and the company forcing us to drop the F bomb. I guess I don't have the big picture when they decide to put me on standby to cover an "area" and reduce what could have been a 12-14 overnight to a 10hr overnight three times this week. My apologizes.

I am not trying to start a war with you. I do totaly disagree with you. I think it comes down to motivation. The way you feel about your job at NetJets, I felt about my Job at the Regional.

If you have never flown for a 121 carrier your " Catch Me If You Can" view of the airline pilot life is a FARCE, It just not exist at any airline today. Dealing with Crew Scheduling, working an airline reserve schedule, eating overpriced terminal crap for the rest of your life.... AM hub turns, 8 HOUR REDUCED REST OVERNIGHT.. YES SIR.. 8 HOURS. 16 HOUR DUTY DAYS... Having your sick bank reduce when you call in " F Bomb".....

How about CDO's.. for those that dont know what these 121 gems are.. Continuous Duty Overnights... Last flight out First Flight in...

I can go on and on, but again the stuff that counts is the way you are treated, and even if you are a FedEx widebody captain.. making your $226/ hour you are still and expendable number.. that is all!

Latest resources

Back