• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets Domicile WARNING!!!! 4 wanna be's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kind of a "Catch 22" for new guys. If the old guys hadn't fought so hard for the pay raise, the new guys would not have wanted to come to work for NJA.
Since the old guys did obtain the pay raise, the new guys want the job, with the full understanding that they will have to use one of five domiciles.

Applicant: I want a job with NJA.

NJA HR: OK, but you have to use XYZ as your domicile and you can never change domiciles or have access to HBAs until you are in the upper 30% of pilot seniority.

Applicant: That's fine with me, may I please have the job?

NJA HR: Yes, congratulations.

Applicant/NewHire: Yippee!

One week later...

NewHire: Cjdriver was right. Boy, did I ever get screwed!

Flame away. I walked the line in OMAHA 1 year ago and it was freezing. This info is meant to keep those that are seriously considerring employment here informed of what the term DOMICILE really means.

Just don't listen to the interviewer when he or she says you may be able to change your DOMICILE.

Primary negotiations 4.5 years from now will revolve around HBA and Pay once again. You can count on it. And it won't come quickly.

And yes I lived the full joy of the past CBA and Battle for the new one. I have no axe to grind but I don't want to work with guys that complain right out of INDOC. Hell I was happy for at least a year when I got hired. Only then did I see what a crappy battle we were in for.

MH, just to remind you that there was a critical difference between those who took the job last year in spite of well-meaning advice and those who are signing on now. During negotiations there was a chance that the low FO pay would be improved enough to make the job worth taking. There was also a sign that the company would insist on the Domicile System for new hires. Those who took their chance on the pay are now in HBAs and have a promising career ahead of them. The advice to boycott the company is a time-tested consumer tactic that is worth a try. I think those pilots advising it have their peer's best/long-term interest at heart.

CJ, Griz is right. Perhaps you're not aware that the company originally tried to place ALL of the pilots in Domiciles? When you look at it from that perspective, you realize that 1108 fought hard for junior and senior pilots alike. The only way the union (the pilots themselves) failed, was in being apathetic and following poor leadership for so long. That won't happen next time. I do believe they've learned that expensive lesson.

As none of us have a crystal ball, we don't know if the domiciles will turn out to be all that Boisture thought they'd be. It's definitely a wait and see situation. As long as pilots go into the job with their eyes wide open, how can any of us fault them for trying to make it work first. Their complaints shouldn't even bother us. Every gripe that comes to the attention of the company might just help hasten the end of an experiment some think was destined to fail in the end, anyway. When/if that happens, it won't be just the new hires cheering.
NJW

Little off topic...but have any of you guys heard of people being given different domiciles if they happen to already live in one.

Currently living in DFW and wondering if someday I happen to get an interview and then the off chance I get offered a job etc... etc... etc...Maybe by 2010.

Photo I would say it is up to you to "negotiate" prior to accepting the positiion. Good Luck... Whatever you do, don't choose CMH...

Which leads me to a solution for those that may want to change DOmiciles. If you accpet a management position then you will be CMH based. Seems to me you do that job for a year and keep your nose clean prior to resigning that position you could "negotiate" a new domicile. Because there are two times you are technically not covered by our CBA. First, before you accpet a position. Second, when you are in a management position.

I'm always looking for loopholes. :)

Read the contract

I was reading the contract and it says something to the fact that all domiciles will be staffed in seinority order. In my last contract it said virtually the same thing which meant if you can hold a base with your seinority, you could go there.....if there were spots being offered. This means that if the union goes after this there is a case as long and new bids for airframe/domiciles keep being posted. Just food for thought.

Waco

Waco......13.2(b)(i)...pretty clear...Post-ratification.....you're at the Domicile you were hired into. There is no provision for new hires to change domiciles.

Now....Seniority rights, 5.2, might come into play but I think this discussion has been raised and the Union "Powers" have indicated that the negotiating note still indicate that new hires are stuck where they are until the new contract.

I'm fine with the domicile thing....been doing it for 8 years....however the senority issue is where to start if there are to be changes..... perhaps take the angle of aircraft/type change.... After 2 years you can change fleets, and perhaps you can change domiciles.. It costs the company 0$ to do it that way. Just food for thought... but you are correct, there should be no expectation of changing domiciles.

Waco

Waco....Like someone posted on the Union web site.....why should the Company give us something we want NOW when they can use it as a bargaining chip in the future.

"DO THE RIGHT THING" ... a nice little phrase......but I doubt it will be followed.

We voted in the CBA and we are just going to have to live by its terms....even if it means highly qualified pilots going somewhere else becasue of the domicile issue.

Waco, has brought up a good point. I first heard it from my husband. The company is aware of that "glitch" now, but I think they may be planning to cross that particular bridge when they come to it. Perhaps all it may take to force the issue is the right situation and a complaining pilot whose seniority rights have been violated. The union was created to protect the rights of the pilots, after all.

Perhaps in their excitement (haste :confused: ) to get a contract written (before the holidays??), some conflicting provisions were overlooked. If the company needs a pilot in a certain domicile what difference does it make to them if that pilot comes from those hired previously and the new hire is sent to the now open domicile slot? As Waco said, it costs them nothing, but could make a huge difference in the QOL of the affected pilot. Why be against something like that? It looks like a straightforward fairness issue to me. Isn't there a chance that a moderator hearing a grievance will see it the same way?
NJW

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back