Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets' Captains need to get over themselves!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
99% of the time the SIC's don't care either. Who wants to rebuild their nest 4 times a day? It usually happens when someone has sim recurrent coming up and haven't flown from the left seat for 6 months. They understandably want to rehearse their flows with someone who does it all the time. In my plane they are welcome to it. There's less to do in the right seat!

Which begs the question, why do SIC's have to train from the left seat if that's not where they fly the airplane from?

Which begs the question, why do SIC's have to train from the left seat if that's not where they fly the airplane from?

Per the contracts with NetJets and the owners (pax), ALL NetJets crew members are fully trained as a Captain. The FOM and etiquette demand the PIC fly from the left seat on owner trips, however on ferry legs it is at the discretion of the PIC who sits in the left seat.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you have the best job in aviation. DO you want to piss an moan over who is PIC, who is in the left seat, who is right etc????????? Are you kidding me? We (regionals) have the highest amount of pilots on furlough since 9/11, and yet we( all of us) piss and moan??????????

Take it; be a man and take it. Be the best customer service SOB ever. Smile and nod and do the best the company will allow. I work for a company that will rather tape up an overhead panel rather than fix them. I could punk out, but I don't. I preserve the presence of a captain and write it up and deal with the aftermath rather that give in. But I also understand that my passengers have places to go and I will go to all lengths to get them there undetered. IF you have flown with me, you know what I mean. THe callout is "barber poll unless otherwise noted."

Do the right thing for the passenger at all times. They pay for OUR privledge of flying great aircraft.

Dingo222

Last edited:
I had the flip side of this a couple months ago. A real condescending, know it all, captain with half my experience and half my type ratings tried to make me fly left seat on empty legs. She said, "you need to stay current for the sim." I graciously said, "no thanks." She went off on a ten minute blah blah blah fest claiming it was a safety issue, and that I was stupid to not fly left seat.

You should have asked her about smashing into a fuel truck.

The real answer has to do with our training syllabus and our POI. It has nothing to do with our owners and what they were told. It has to with legality.

Since all of our pilots are type rated in the aircraft they fly, they have to show proficiency in taxiing the aircraft. In most cases, this involves sitting in the left seat and working the tiller. Back February 8, 2008, NJA management decided to do away with "seat-swapping" in the G200. All SICs now had to fly from the right seat. The question of training came up and has been looked into since that time. Currently, our training syllabus is such that it doesn't allow time for any "additional" training. Meaning that there's really no problem for an SIC to train and check from the right seat other than figuring out when and how the SIC would be checked on taxiing procedures.

I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous but this is how it is. Our fine FSI instructors work as robots so to speak when it comes to training NJA pilots. They basically go right down the list and check off boxes as we go along. Right now, there's nothing they can do. They're planning on changing all of this but a training syllabus re-write takes time since it needs to be signed off by our POI.

THAT'S the real reason as to why they have to train from the left seat.

Exactly. Plus, I can reach the coffee pot from the right seat in the Excel, which is the most important piece of equipment in it. :laugh:

And that is the most important thing. All of those "o Dark hundred" hour departure are easier from the right seat because of it. :)

Damn FARs

They (the SICs) can not take a type ride from the right seat. Most of the planes that are on property can only be started from the left seat. Remember the check ride is a 135 ride. It's an FAR thing.
FSI and NJA are looking into a way to legally have an SIC take a check ride via the right seat.
Time will tell for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back