NetJets Application/Interview ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
netjetwife said:
...he wrote his Master's thesis on pilot retention in the AF and I helped him with proofreading and editing. Likewise, with those briefings on the same subject...:) NJW
USAF retention should be pretty good - it's the best flying in the world and in today's market the pay ain't bad. For instance, pay and allowances for a 12 year O-4 is $86,496.36 or $104,402,84 for a 20 year O-5. This is exclusive of hostile fire pay, the combat zone tax exclusion, and the family separation allowance. Plus the retention bonuses are not too bad:

5 yr -$125,000
Remain to 20 yrs - $250,000
Remain to 25 yrs - $375,000

GV

Maybe he should go back there!

30 lbs, I could get that off you in three weeks!

netjetwife said:
but for those interested in a look at FO wages in the outyears, here they are: Year 1=$39K Then we see your yearly increases up to Year 5=$44,040. So to recap--FO wages begin at $33,500 and ..... NJW

Am I missing something or is "Year 1" not equal to "FO wages begin"? Just trying to sort out the apparent descrepencies. Obviously 39 does not equal 33.5.:confused:

More of that fuzzy math that comes with sermons from on high. I'm not sure what we will end up with, or when, but I know we'll be in the hole when this is all over.

The entire board must be scratching their heads and mumbling, "But, they seem like a smart bunch of pilots. They don't seem to know anything about the time-value of money".

We're all about $55 k in the hole now from where we could have taken a raise of nearly 30%, six months before the contract became amendable.

Our MEC decided not to take it!!

Hawkered said:
Unfortunately, I don't agree with you again about your new theories on upgrade time. Yes it's true, I upgraded as soon as I got here and put the entire company on captain's pay.

Campaigns like yours are now discouraging new-hires from choosing our company and we have no extra crews for either the Citation X or Ultra.
Slowly this will get even worse with Part 91K and the retirements within our own ranks from ex-airline pilots.

What I'm trying to say to you is...relax! The good times are about to return. This is a fickle industry. As someone who has been flying for over twenty years, I've seen it all before. Within a year they'll be looking for experienced street captains again.

No disrespect to you, but I don't take kindly to a self-appointed spokesperson trying to hijack MY company and MY source of livelihood!!

If you and Ace don't like it, kindly leave!!
Hawk, any reader comparing our posts will clearly see that I have offered FACTUAL information while you are viewing things thru "rose-colored glasses" and talking about the good ole days. What year were you hired? Actually, it matters not. That is only useful for letting one know what HAS happen, not what is CURRENTLY taking place.

Campaigns? I beg to differ; I was answering questions. The hiring situation, like the failed (by 82%!) TA, speaks for itself. Pilots will "vote" for or against the job based on the facts. The issue of low pay turns away many potential new hires and the long wait to upgrade compounds the problem. When faced w/a wait, people ask those already in line 2 questions--how long have you been standing here and how fast is the line moving? (They just want the facts; they can make up their own minds about joining you or going elsewhere). Here are the answers: There are about 355 pilots ahead of my husband in the upgrade line. Counting from the back of the line, there are around 570. This is based on the seniority # of the most junior pilot to win a PIC bid award to date. When I asked him how fast the line will move my husband said, "10 Captain Upgrades per month. This is a very generous assumption. We have not even been close to that in the nearly 2 years I have been here." He then went on to explain the problem of Captains getting typed in different planes...:( Waiting wouldn't be such a problem if the pay were better.

This is the information potential new hires are looking for, and that my husband is qualified to answer. He has been standing in the line for 22 months and he has watched it closely. Btw, did I mention that he had been the personell manager in charge of Officers' Assignments for Europe? (An aside to GV here--that was his non-flying billet/3yr staff tour). So he looks at all of this w/an experienced eye and tells me:"This company seems to desire a 60-40 Captain to FO ratio. That means to have the number 2000 seniority number upgraded to Captain, there has to be 3333 pilots employed here. That means we would have to hire over 1300 pilots. At a hiring rate of 50 pilots per month, that would take over 24 months (2 years). Of course, sales would have to support that hiring rate". This brings up a good interview question! What is the current hiring rate, in addition to the current upgrade rate?

No disrespect to you, Hawkered, but MY family is just as affected by the situation at NJA, as you are. And in the area of upgrading, more so. "Ace" (your name for him) happens to like the job, but like many other NJ pilots he has a family to support and is looking for a career--not a hobby.

XTW, the defeated TA had 2 FO payscales. The lesser of the 2 was for 90% of the pilots; the "higher" one (relatively speaking) was the the top 10% in seniority. I was quoting the TA.

Last edited:
Upgrade time for a new-hire is a mystery. I am imagine it would be a long time.

However, there was a time when it seemed like there was a bid every week for 20 captain slots. They couldn't fill them fast enough. This led to forced upgrades and hiring street captains. This wasn't that long ago and those days may well come back again.

There's a fact for ya.

I just completed my fourth year here. In the first three we doubled in size.

Sctt, I've heard that a number of times--have no doubt that it's true--but would like to know exactly when those "glory days" were. Did you witness those things personally, or was it more than 4 years ago? I'm trying to understand the NJ timeline. Do you know what year(s) that was? Thanks.

I started in November 2000. At that time anyone could upgrade whenever they wanted to or felt comfortable doing so. The only fleet you couldn't hold captain in right away was the Falcon.

This lasted for at least a year. It was sometime during 2001 I believe that they got so desperate for captains that they hired some right off the street.

I switched from the Ultra to the Hawker in the spring of 2002. I was still seat locked at the time. They released seat locks when they couldn't fill the position otherwise. I had bid for the Citation 7 and the Hawker 800 and was awarded both. I had my choice.

That was about the last time I recall that seat locks were released and it wasn't long after that the bids started drying up almost completely.

Latest resources

Back