• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets Announces Aircraft Order

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With all of the talk about NJA being "by far the safest", I just thought I would raise the point. I am not stating an opinion as to whther the rule makes sense - especially when compared to other rules. But when many posters say NJA is the sfaest and they follow all the rules and others don't, I beg to differ. I also agree that it is not a widely followed rule.

Based soley on my experiences, which include about 16 years of flying hundred of flights with Netjets, I never once heard or saw the O2 mask on a NetJets pilots until recently. I happened to start noticing them frequently on the flights of competitors and asked why -- I thought they were only needed about FL410, and I was informed that for Pt 135 they are required on and in use (not just dangling) above FL350.

I repeat - I am not saying the rule makes sense, I am not saying the mask is comfortable -- all I am saying is that NJA pilots, and others, subjectively decide not to follow all regs. But it seems to be some of the NJA pilots who bash the others for not being perfect reg followers. And no I do not tattle on you --I do understand they are real uncomfortable.

BTW -- recent had a flight coming up form the Caribbean ona Citation X -- 3+ hours st FL430 and not a mask on a body -- just hanging up in the cockpit. Part 135 flight.

Yes -- I do travel over 55 mph on rodes -- quite often. It is my subjective decision. But -- I do not go around saying I am so superior than others in following the traffic laws.

Safety starts with company culture. There are many behind the scenes factors that start right from the top. Pilots can be intimidated to fly when tired or payed less as a result. One of the most important factor is how the a pilot is payed. Salary versus hourly pay makes a huge different in decision making. Flying broke airplanes is common for hourly pilots. Management can also cause problems asking guys to continue until maintenance can be more conveniently scheduled or as not to disrupt a passenger trip in progress. I don't know all the other operators culture. But I would put NJA up against any of them. If I'm tired I go to a hotel, heck NJ won't even approve a rental car after a fatigue call. Never carried a write up. Yes some passenger have been delayed waiting on paper work or another plane. I have never experience push back from management for any of these events. Unfortunately, the only way to know of these type of problems is to work there. Having been around coupled with numerous friends in the industry I can tell you these issues are real and prevalent. Read some accident reports.

Safety starts with company culture. There are many behind the scenes factors that start right from the top. Pilots can be intimidated to fly when tired or payed less as a result. One of the most important factor is how the a pilot is payed. Salary versus hourly pay makes a huge different in decision making. Flying broke airplanes is common for hourly pilots. Management can also cause problems asking guys to continue until maintenance can be more conveniently scheduled or as not to disrupt a passenger trip in progress. I don't know all the other operators culture. But I would put NJA up against any of them. If I'm tired I go to a hotel, heck NJ won't even approve a rental car after a fatigue call. Never carried a write up. Yes some passenger have been delayed waiting on paper work or another plane. I have never experience push back from management for any of these events. Unfortunately, the only way to know of these type of problems is to work there. Having been around coupled with numerous friends in the industry I can tell you these issues are real and prevalent. Read some accident reports.

Yes, The safety issues are real at some places. That does not prove NJA is the safest, nor that it has the best safety culture. Maybe it is the safest, or maybe it is simply one among other very safety conscious companies. However, when you say you're the best, your have to compare yourself to the best not horror stories you hear from your friends.

Would you say sitting hour upon hour of crew rot day after day followed by an ASAP is the most ideal way to prepare for a trip? Maybe it's the price you pay for a defined rest period, and maybe that is more advantageous than being available indefinitely after a 10 hour rest period. I have my doubts though especially if the guy sitting at the hotel has an equal opportunity to refuse a trip if he is not rested due to his sleep schedule. Plenty of other operators have fatigue policies and welcome the fatigue call. If it happens at NJA more than other places, I'm not surprised since you guys wake up early and sit around FBOs all day. I've always been very curious how many hours of actual duty you guys log in a typical week? Want to bet it's more than I log in two months?

Absolutes are a tricky thing especially in an ever-changing environment. I fully believe anyone who says they are "the safest" has a real attitude problem. That kind of thinking leads to complacency and over confidence. Both are SAFETY hazards! So, how about we leave the "Best Safety Practices" b.s. to the marketing departments and remain vigilant. If you think your company isn't going to put you in dangerous situations you are kidding yourself, and you may pay a very high toll for that kind of arrogance.

Shiny side up boys.

Last edited:
Yes, The safety issues are real at some places. That does not prove NJA is the safest, nor that it has the best safety culture. Maybe it is the safest, or maybe it is simply one among other very safety conscious companies. However, when you say you're the best, your have to compare yourself to the best not horror stories you hear from your friends.

Would you say sitting hour upon hour of crew rot day after day followed by an ASAP is the most ideal way to prepare for a trip? Maybe it's the price you pay for a defined rest period, and maybe that is more advantageous than being available indefinitely after a 10 hour rest period. I have my doubts though especially if the guy sitting at the hotel has an equal opportunity to refuse a trip if he is not rested due to his sleep schedule. Plenty of other operators have fatigue policies and welcome the fatigue call. If it happens at NJA more than other places, I'm not surprised since you guys wake up early and sit around FBOs all day. I've always been very curious how many hours of actual duty you guys log in a typical week? Want to bet it's more than I log in two months?

Absolutes are a tricky thing especially in an ever-changing environment. I fully believe anyone who says they are "the safest" has a real attitude problem. That kind of thinking leads to complacency and over confidence. Both are SAFETY hazards! So, how about we leave the "Best Safety Practices" b.s. to the marketing departments and remain vigilant. If you think your company isn't going to put you in dangerous situations you are kidding yourself, and you may pay a very high toll for that kind of arrogance.

Shiny side up boys.

I'm not sure where your coming from. Reread my post I never said NJA is the safest. How would I know that for sure? I was simply saying the culture at NJA is good. Your name calling (arrogance) really shows a lack of thought.

Latest resources

Back