• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Neptune Aviation P2 down near Tooele, UT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whomever said or suggested that CDF stole my comment? Your inability to comprehend has been manifest in more than one post thus far. We see that nothing has changed.

Clearly you've nothing to contribute here. Your inability to carry a discussion with rational thought, and your need to resort to mindless personal attacks is nothing more than a classic sign of a weak mind.

Given your comments, your participation in the industry is highly suspect, and given that your credibility is a flat zero without hope of elevation, you can safely be dismissed as a fraud. Given that no further time need be wasted on you, welcome to the ignore list.

This message is hidden because firepilot is on your ignore list.

"It's not an emergency; it's our job"

I've never been a huge fan of that statement. I understand it's intent, but if you can't operate in the emergency environment safely, find a different career field.

"Given your comments, your participation in the industry is highly suspect, and given that your credibility is a flat zero without hope of elevation, you can safely be dismissed as a fraud. Given that no further time need be wasted on you, welcome to the ignore list."

Anytime your credibility is questioned you hurriedly place them on your ignore list. So i ask, who can safely be dismissed the fraud?? I am currently sitting in CA on contract. Where are you?? I just believe everyone on this website should know you are not a "heavy hitter" in the industry, and you do not in anyway represent the industry.

Dont like people with a different opinion then yours Avbug? Some of those opinions are spot on.

Yeah avbug, put me on your ignore list too....whatever.

It is becoming evident that every poster that dares:rolleyes: to contradict your exalted expertise on everything is at risk of the scorn of your ignore list! ooooohhhh! Not to mention, the ones that call you out on your borderline sociopathic conduct will be ignored too.

I have no problem with other opinions, however wrong they may be, or with the people who have those opinions, who contribute intelligently to the topic at hand. You, like others here, offer neither.

If one intends to offer something on the subject, then one should know what one is talking about, which automatically eliminates most posters here.

As for the ignore list: it certainly doesn't represent scorn, but rather an appropriate response to posters who don't merit the time of day, or a second thought. While you've nothing to contribute here, there may be hope, and for the present, you may remain.

I've never been a huge fan of that statement.
Ironically, in it's present context, neither have I, because that wasn't the purpose or reason it was originally given.

Having seen too many who rush to the scene, who get fire fever when the dollars are there to be made, or who have tried to justify that rush by insinuating that it's an emergency (and therefore, the normal rules and practices don't apply), the statement that "it's not an emergency, it's our job," was originally intended to convey something else entirely. It's more aligned with the familiar "it's only trees, and grass."

One may say the same thing applies to Tom's final flight. Is any mission, sortie, resource order, dispatch, or request important enough that safety doesn't come first? Of course not. Never the less, we see so many losses which seemingly defy explanation, all in abject defiance of rule #1: safety comes first. It's not an emergency. It's our job.

There should never come a time when the need to put the wet stuff on the red stuff outshines the need to complete a checklist, fly a proper drop pattern, adhere to the one-in, one-out policy in the fire traffic area, maintain traffic awareness, monitor fatigue, and perform adequate preventative maintenance. None the less, we see blatant violations of these practices and requirements all too often.

I watched an individual reject a loaded takeoff several years ago, during a going fire, for failure to ensure the control lock was removed. We were around the 12th load or so of a day with rang out at 18 loads, total. That individual felt that on the quick turns we were doing, a complete checklist wasn't necessary. He survived having given in to the notion that an emergency takes precedence over a job, but the reality nearly turned out very differently. It's not an emergency. It's our job.

In a world where many jurisdictions have recognized the futility of racing to the scene of the crime or the fire, many departmental requirements allow only 10 mph over the posted speed limit, for emergency response vehicles. Why? Because statistics were showing that the greater hazard wasn't the fire itself, but getting there. The phenomenon of ambulances which get in a wreck on the way to or from a scene is well known, and for the same reason, fire vehicles, law enforcement, and emergency medical often run without lights or sirens...as these have been known to cause emergencies that wouldn't have existed without the use of that equipment. Likewise, it behooves us to slow down during a dispatch. A wind driven fire tends to grow exponentially with favorable terrain and dry fuels. Time is an important factor, but never so important that one should disregard the fact that it's not the emergency that's the thing, but the job.

As a fire professional, one performs precision delivery of retardant on fuels, and does it with repeatability, safety, and care. Hitting a hillside only increases the fire, denies a return load, and leaves families and friends shaking their heads and shedding a tear. We are all acutely aware of the potentials during any given season, and we all accept these alternate possibilities on the guarantee that we will do all we can to prevent them while performing to a standard that merits the call "load and return."

We do this over and over because it's not an emergency in progress. It's our job, and for the large part, a job we all do well. When we don't do it well, at the least we have an ineffective job. All too often, however, failure to perform well isn't on par with an airline pilot making a go-around off a bad approach, or an upset corporate client because the flight is delayed a few minutes. Failure to perform well on the fire ground results in death, loss of property, and elevated hazard to other aircraft, other aircrews, and troops on the ground. The cost of failure to perform well is high, and unacceptable. When we fly, it is not an emergency, but rather, our job, and one with which we cannot afford to fail to to accurately and consistently, with one singular overriding priority: safety at all costs. Our job is the thing. Not the emergency. We didn't create the emergency, we are only a tool in the service of incident command, and little more. Rushing to the scene, rushing to fly, and pushing limits beyond the necessities of a safe operation do not enhance the mission, but put it at risk. It's perfectly acceptable to deal with an emergency, so long as it is not of one's own making. One should always beware, so goes the old saw, of scars earned in battles in which one should never have fought.

It's not an emergency. It's our job.

Last edited:
I have no problem with other opinions, however wrong they may be, or with the people who have those opinions, who contribute intelligently to the topic at hand. You, like others here, offer neither.

I believe what Avbug meant to say was that he does not have a problem with posters who agree with HIS opinion. However, if you have your OWN opinion YOU have nothing to offer the thread!!

While you've nothing to contribute here, there may be hope, and for the present, you may remain.

:rolleyes:

ahh, Pagan you can now pull the razor away from your wrist! i am sure your life is complete again.

heh heh, yeah, I can live my life again now that I know that I am not on avbug's ignore list:rolleyes:........................yet!

I believe what Avbug meant to say was that he does not have a problem with posters who agree with HIS opinion. However, if you have your OWN opinion YOU have nothing to offer the thread!!

His philosophy; Agree with me, or you're an idiot!

(some old men need to grow up......just sayin')

Latest resources

Back