• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need to get an ATP certificate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those of you still reading the thread and looking for an ATP try John Trask in PQI. His contact info is at the bottom of the page. He does a 1day course in a Seneca, total cost $2030. I went up there not having touched a GA airplane in 4+ yrs and everything went smoothly. Great guy, great checkride, cheap price. PM me with any questions.

Last edited:
Two thousand dollars for a Seneca in one day?

PT Barnum was right.

i have no knowledge of said recommendation, but let's take a look at it.

examiner fee is at least $350 (more like $500 for an atp ride in most areas)

2 hours of flight time@ $300 an hour for the check ride.

that leaves around $1000 for 3 hours of prep in the airplane with an instructor. seems to add up to me?

Last year a particular employer that screens pilots in light twins for a job that is decidely not light twins, called me to show up for a flight screening. I arrived a day early, rented a light twin for a couple of hours, and prepared and at the same time regained currency in a light, piston twin. It cost me a few dollars. The next day I took the screening flight, passed, was offered a position.

Oh my God, everyone run for cover! AVBUG BECAME A FED!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Hehe, just kidding. :beer:

Avbug usually has good knowledge and facts to back him up. Usually he is informative and interesting, though lacking in tact or people skills. We now see how he acts when defending an opinion. Avbug, yours and theirs are are just that. Relax a little.

As for me, I waited until my first type ride to get the ATP. Someone else was paying for it (the way nature intended) and it never held me back to that point. If you're in the airline world, wait for upgrade. If you're on the corporate side, then you should be getting typed with any reasonable amount of experience, so it raises another question in my mind.

As we pass from a brief era of record hiring, we're going to see a lot of 300 hour wonders that entered the artificial airline world suddenly facing reality, looking for work. That may or may not be the case here, and it really doesn't matter.

Those who find themself on the chopping block looking for work, and find that they've failed to gain the qualifications necessary to be competitive when they had the chance, find themselves far behind the curve. Pure and simple. Presently there are plenty of highly qualified people seeking work.

You bet. If you think you won't be furloughed, and think you'll have the opportunity to wait for someone to give you your ATP, then go for it...if you can be assured you won't be stuck looking for work underqualified and without it. By all means.

Clearly that's not the case here, however, is it?

As for me, I waited until my first type ride to get the ATP. Someone else was paying for it (the way nature intended) and it never held me back to that point. If you're in the airline world, wait for upgrade. If you're on the corporate side, then you should be getting typed with any reasonable amount of experience, so it raises another question in my mind.

Unfortunately, this isnt a scenario everyone has the luck to be a part of. After 4 years and 3500 hrs in the right seat I am still only about halfway to upgrade at my current regional carrier. With downsizing, parking a/c, and furloughs in the near future it is time to get serious about making myself competitive for another job.

You bet. If you think you won't be furloughed, and think you'll have the opportunity to wait for someone to give you your ATP, then go for it...if you can be assured you won't be stuck looking for work underqualified and without it. By all means.

Clearly that's not the case here, however, is it?

That reads like my last AFM revision. Say what?

The scenario as it started out in this case was that there was a guy that needs an ATP to be competitive where he wants to apply. You scolded him for not having it yet, as if it were a prerequisite
for something. At this point in time he can and should go ahead and get the rating because at this precise point in time it has become necessary. Easy fix. Before now what was wrong with hedging the bet a little and waiting for the chance to pair it with a sim ride? I don't see any point in raking the guy over the coals about it. It's worked out for tons of people to wait, just as it did for me.

In your own words, the ride should be easy and accomplished in a few hours. Makes sense to me to wait for it to become necessary before dropping the dough.

Remember that when you take your ATP ride you are the PIC. You say "I know that #%@* "
In my experience, one of the biggest problems for some one who has sat as co-pilot for a while is that they have not made the "big decisions" for a while and need to get back in that mind set to be able to act as PIC again. I would say over half of the exams that failed were because - no one was in command-. It gets worse the longer you are only the SIC.

If you feel you need some help for the exam, go get it. If you feel you are ready, go rent an aircraft and find an examiner.

Other than the knowledge and experience of getting an ATP the only time you legally "need" one is if you are to haul people in air carrier service.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back