• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

need help on salary for FO on Legacy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know a guy who slips jets to loose airspeed. It was exciting-never seen that before.

When someone has less than 50 hours in jets that's one thing. When soemeone who has thousands of hours in them does it then that's another (but he was a pure Part 91 guy--so if slipping a jet is a sign of a dumb pilot then I guess you Corporate Know-It-Alls have your fair share of 'em). Though quite frankly, this "never slip a jet" thing is almost certainly less than entirely accurate. I'm sure there are plenty of jets that would not care if someone did that to them. I mean, let's face it, what would happen if you slipped a straight-wing Citation or Westwind? Probably not a darned thing. The EMB and Soverign don't have a lot of sweep to them. I doubt either would even notice if you slipped 'em a 1000 times.

*shrug*

Last edited:
When someone has less than 50 hours in jets that's one thing. When soemeone who has thousands of hours in them does it then that's another (but he was a pure Part 91 guy--so if slipping a jet is a sign of a dumb pilot then I guess you Corporate Know-It-Alls have your fair share of 'em).

*shrug*

410 it dude!

So now your gonna attack me as well? And your "facts" are way off. The only thing accurate about your post is that we both made less than 80k our first year. After our second year it went a little above that. But, far from the pay averages you were posting. There was bonus and stock but I was just addressing the base pay. I wish the job paid the salary you were quoting.

As to the layoffs, yes it happened to 19 pilots at our company. Nobody with 2 years seniority was gonna be kept on property.

Living overseas? Yes, at first it was not my first choice but my Wife, Golden Retriever and I have embraced the expat lifestyle. Try living in a creditor nation! It is a pleasant change. If I do get homesick I turn on the Fox News (with no commercials!) to see how that embarassment of an administration is running our country and it quickly goes away.

I love flying internationally. The closest I probably would have gotten to overseas flying at my last company would be flying the airplane to Anchorage for the next crew to take to Asia.

Off to Europe next week where I hope to see another phone company castaway, CRJCA in Prague.

But, now it's off to the pub for an ice cold Carlsberg. Not sure how they cornered the market but it is all the rage in Asia.

Cheers-

Rum

He's ragging on your flying skill (which is excellent, BTW) but he has his some skeletons of his own. Nobody's perfect. ;)

You know I was gonna' just ignore his post but I will simply back you up. Of the people who got the axe at the blue death star there are only two that I even had the remotest of problems with, and frankly, I wouldn't say that they, or any of the rest who were cut loose, "deserved" it. All the pilots that got put on the street were good people as far as I'm concerned, the were just unlucky to get hired right before a huge downturn, CEO change, and company relocation/downsizing.

Sh*t happens.

410 it dude!

In a Legacy? Sure, why not. At Max Gross Weight she will go right to FL410 no problem at all.

That Pinnacle crew, OTOH, were dumbasses on an empty repo leg. That is a tendency that no pilot group--military, 121, or Corporate--is immune to. It is discussed repeatedly in CRM classes that there is a human tendency to let your guard down when it is empty in the back. That being said, the 121 safety record speaks for itself, and I guarantee you most of the 91 crews wouldn't pass a 121 ride stone cold on the first try from either seat, esp. the left.

LegacyDriver said:
I guarantee you most of the 91 crews wouldn't pass a 121 ride stone cold on the first try from either seat, esp. the left.

Its really not that hard for a professional pilot to fly to ATP standards, cold, on the first try, from either seat, especially the left.

In a Legacy? Sure, why not. At Max Gross Weight she will go right to FL410 no problem at all.

WTH?!?? :eek:

I won't do that at ISA, let alone ISA+. I don't care what the AFM or AOM Performance charts tell you. Direct to FL410 after a MGTOW departure may be technically doable, but it is a very uncomfortable place to be. The airplane isn't going to accelerate for quite some time.

Someone mentioned that Embraer is responsible for lowering the bar on pay. This isn't accurate. All Embraer did was bring to market a derivative that happens to share a type rating with the ERJ. Unfortunately for those of us that make a living on the corporate side of the fence that makes for large pool of available pilots who are either furloughed and looking to make a buck wherever they can or who will contract for peanuts.

The fact is Embraer is alone in the market niche they've created with the Legacy 600 and 650 (as well as the Phenom 300 and probably the upcoming 450 and 500). The Legacy is success by any measure. It is not a G-anything or a F-anything and doesn't compete directly in those markets. It is not a Hawker, either. It niche is somewhere between these aircraft. The truth is that Gulfstream, Falcon and HB are all late to the dance on building an airplane to compete for this niche.

Its really not that hard for a professional pilot to fly to ATP standards, cold, on the first try, from either seat, especially the left.

Not in my experience. I've seen more than my share of 91 "professionals" who couldn't do it after a *week* in the sim at recurrent (and multiple years flying on type). I'm not saying they are all like that, but a higher percentage than I've seen in 121 (or 135).

Maybe 121 pilots are motivated by the fact that they know they'll lose their job if they bone it up so they focus.

My 121 F/O ride was brutal but I thought that was just because it was the first one. For my first 121 F/O Recurrent (more years ago than I care to remember) I went in "prepared" like I thought and nearly failed it. It was a rude awakening to what was expected. Needless to say I made damned sure that there was never any doubt on every ride since.

There are 121 drivers busting rides their 91 counterparts get signed off on. After all, can't make the customer upset by failing their pilots or they'll switch to another vendor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back