• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

need help on salary for FO on Legacy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is my beef with the WSCofD ..... it is an airplane that lowers the bar ... significantly. If I could wave my want ... this airplane along with its subpar salaries would go to the way of HansaJet.

The problem with this piece of composite airplane is that guys flying commuters is that this salary is like winning the lottery.

Amen...

This is my beef with the WSCofD ..... it is an airplane that lowers the bar ... significantly. If I could wave my want ... this airplane along with its subpar salaries would go to the way of HansaJet.

The problem with this piece of composite airplane is that guys flying commuters is that this salary is like winning the lottery.

It doesn't lower the bar any more than the pilots who fly it do. I know guys flying Falcons for $40K a year, too. It isn't just the Embraer.

It's a better airplane than your Falcon so get used to it, brother. They're not going away.

The problem isn't the airplane it's the industry. I don't care what you fly--Gulfstream, Falcon, Cessna, Bombardier, Hawker or Embraer--the salaries are going *DOWN* so long as people will take the jobs...

For a newhire...if the company pays to type you...expect mid-50s. If you show up with a type you can go as high as $120K. Depends on the outfit. Frac? Corp? Private owner?

As to the man's question, NO, I would not pay for my own training. That's why I'm still on the beach myself. I'm not paying to get current just to compete with a lot of guys who already are. There are plenty of pilots to fill the seats right now. These contract guys are all over the place and they make their living at it. It will be awfully hard to break in...

OTOH, it is a great jet to fly. But not worth paying for training.

It doesn't lower the bar any more than the pilots who fly it do. I know guys flying Falcons for $40K a year, too. It isn't just the Embraer.

It's a better airplane than your Falcon so get used to it, brother. They're not going away.

The problem isn't the airplane it's the industry. I don't care what you fly--Gulfstream, Falcon, Cessna, Bombardier, Hawker or Embraer--the salaries are going *DOWN* so long as people will take the jobs...

For a newhire...if the company pays to type you...expect mid-50s. If you show up with a type you can go as high as $120K. Depends on the outfit. Frac? Corp? Private owner?

As to the man's question, NO, I would not pay for my own training. That's why I'm still on the beach myself. I'm not paying to get current just to compete with a lot of guys who already are. There are plenty of pilots to fill the seats right now. These contract guys are all over the place and they make their living at it. It will be awfully hard to break in...

OTOH, it is a great jet to fly. But not worth paying for training.

I don't think G100's point was that it's a bad airplane. His point is that all the corporate derivatives of regional jets have lowered the bar on salary. you may find the odd 40K falcon pilot, but you will find hundreds or even thousands of pilots who are over worked and extremely underpaid flying regional jets. These guys "feel like the won the lottery" if they get paid 40K to work a corporate schedule. That lowers the bar - plain and simple. Yes, it's industry wide. The ruin of this industry started when a snow machine company in Canada convinced a little turbo-prop airline in Cincinnati that they could pay their pilot's peanuts to fly it's airline derivative of corporate jet... The rest is history. Do you have the number of that truck driving school? I think I could use that...

No, it is Legacys and other airline equipment. To many of those guys a salary of 60K is a raise, as pathetic as that is. Falcon pilots don't normally make anywhere near 40K, Legacy pilots often do. Ya gotta ask why....is it the level of the pilot? the type of dirtbag operation that runs Legacys? Its a valid question.

and C'mon LD...has the rest of the market caught up to the fact that Embraer makes a better airplane than Dassault yet? I dont think so.

Sorry to hear you are still looking, I do know a few places that hired Falcon pilots recently!
:)

Thanks, bro, for the sentiments.

The sad thing is I would take a job flying a Legacy (or anything else for that matter) at $50K a year and feel like *I* hit the lottery because it would be four times what I make now and at least double the next best offer I've had so far.

The Legacy isn't the issue. (Besides, I find it ironic to hear corporate guys b*tch about Regional Jets when the first RJ was a former corporate jet that "turned cobra" on the whole shooting match.) Every job in every industry pays less than it used to. Legacy or no, RJ or no, the salaries would have tanked.

The last two Legacy gigs I interviewed for started at $95K and $105K (for the left seat). The non-EMB jobs were $37K (for a jet f/o), $40K (for a jet f/o), and $40K (for a piston twin PIC).
You can always go to a regional for $17K a year if you want...

Right now $50K looks awfully good cuz child support doesn't pay itself.

And yes the market is catching on. The Legacy is an unqualified success. The 650 is going to be a huge hit. EMB will continue to take market share from Falcon and the rest because right now they build a better, more durable, more reliable, lower cost airplane. Someday someone will build one better than they do and so on, but the market, as bad as it is right now, recognizes a good thing in the Legacy, Phenom, etc.

Oh, and I heard about those Falcon hires. Bit my tongue off so as not to post another rant. My friends said not to bother wasting the effort. *sigh*

Last edited:
Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Try exercising your Falcon rating prior to the worthless EMB rating...even if you still need serious work on those crosswinds - ;)

37K to fly a plane?.....:(....F that, never happening.

Hang in there.

Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Try exercising your Falcon rating prior to the worthless EMB rating...even if you still need serious work on those crosswinds - ;)

37K to fly a plane?.....:(....F that, never happening.

Hang in there.

I've tried. Yes, I actually applied for Falcon jobs. *shudder*

Crosswinds no big deal now. CRJCA showed us all how to do it right. But I can land a Legacy in much higher winds than a Falcon can handle and I like that capability. Six feet three inches wingtip-to-ground clearance on the EMB. Gotta' love that. :D

The sad thing is that a lot of us would think $37K a year a goldmine at this point. Anything to get out of flying 152s in the middle of the summer!

I've tried. Yes, I actually applied for Falcon jobs. *shudder*

Crosswinds no big deal now. CRJCA showed us all how to do it right. But I can land a Legacy in much higher winds than a Falcon can handle and I like that capability. Six feet three inches wingtip-to-ground clearance on the EMB. Gotta' love that. :D

The sad thing is that a lot of us would think $37K a year a goldmine at this point. Anything to get out of flying 152s in the middle of the summer!

well LD......I love ya and all, but for starters ya gotta stop landing a jet like a 152 in a crosswind.

:p;)

well LD......I love ya and all, but for starters ya gotta stop landing a jet like a 152 in a crosswind.

:p;)

Depends on the jet, jackazz. For Falcons I agree with you. However, dipping a wing if you can is an advantage. Nothing like rolling down a runway in a jet on one main gear like a B-17 at an airshow. BOOYAH! :D

LOL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back