Need advice, one last time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please

Don't tell me we are going to get 155 more posts from Nueman (I mean Archer) about the recip vs. jet engine thing.

There really are many reasons why turbine engines are more reliable than piston engines. Some piston engines are worse than others. The 421 turbo-charged, geared Continentals are pretty high on the list for problems. These engines are extremely sensitive to power/temperature changes and are prone to case cracking. Jet engines don't care much about power changes, short of overdoing it and causing a compressor stall.

As many have said, whatever the reason(s) really is, the statistics do show a higher failure rate of recips.

Archer said:
I think I'm a god or something...I'm an Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering student.

There is a difference between Aeronautical Engineering and Aviation Technology.

AvTech people will know more about jet engines or recip engines than any "rocket scientist" as they deal with particular models, and know how they exactly work.

I would hope that any Aeronautical Engineer knows more about the workings and reliability of a Jet engine than any pilot. We are equipment operators, we don't have to always know exactly why things work, just how to properly operate them.

Archer said:
Engineers deal with the scientific and mathematical principles. Reliability has not been discussed yet.

Then you aren't yet an Engineer... Being an "Engineering STUDENT" and being an Engineer are two totally different things...

Archer said:
And the "statistics" is not a very good answer to why jet engines are more reliable...

First off, any Aeronautical Engineering Student should be able to figure out the forces and relative motion in a turbine engine would cause generally less wear and tear than all the parts rubbing and directional changes of a piston engine. This doesn't require a lot of "Rocket Science" to figure out. :rolleyes:

Hey BigD,

You gonna log that "Jet Time" from yesterday??? :D

oh yeah, and letting JetPilot500 eat his beans at the Salt Lick yesterday = MAJOR MISTAKE....

I was "Luvin' the Octopus" the whole way home last night! :mad: :(

Oh man, Falcon Capt - I was in bad shape yesterday evening. I think the fabric was peeling from the seats of that rental car! :D

I could have really used some octopus love too. Even with all the windows down, it was pretty bad. :eek:

Then you aren't yet an Engineer... Being an "Engineering STUDENT" and being an Engineer are two totally different things...

EXACTLY! I never said I was an Engineer.

Archer

Archer ... after following the converstion between Falcon Cappy, Big D, and JP 500, you still wanna be a pro pilot? :D

Here's an idea: Get all your ratings here, build a few hours, then PLEASE go back home and send out resumes there. We're having enough problems as it is and, not to sound xenophobic, but one thing we don't need is more competition. That MEI job you apply for might have my name on it. K?

Minh

Speaking of Archer....

Where is he anyway? We need a good diversion. I am afraid this thread is running out of steam errr i mean rocket fuel.

Does anyone know what the record is for the longest thread?

Heh...a BIG phallus! You know, I'm getting worried about GVFlyer - we've called him out a couple of times, but he's never showed. That's unlike him. I always thought he had a little 'bot that scanned this board for "GV", etc...and sent him an e-mail anytime it came back with anything!

Note to Archer - don't read any further! I don't want to hurt those feelings of yours. You may get pissed and report me to the moderator. Oh wait, never mind! :D If you DO decide to read on, just be sure to take some Midol or Pamprin or something.

Anyway, this thread is hilarious. I just went back and reread it, as well as that Sky Bar thread that Archer posted last year. Man, I'm about crying - it's so funny. Here are my favorite responses in that thread:

this was the gayest thread i'd ever seen on this board until you guys started talking about women, surfing, hunting, flying, and "If it floats, flies, or f~cks, you're better off just renting it."

ok. not to be rude, but archer. think about what you're posting before you click that button. very weak. read it over first. if it sounds like dumb $hit - it's probably dumb $hit. props (no pun intended - haha) to cardinal for changing the subject. that was definitely a good call. i'm gonna go read a book or watch the news. anything to repair the damage this thread has done

Hey Archer...I'm curious...are you into virtual airlines?

He's a kid......give him a break! Dorm life can be boring sometimes. Especially if there's no good episodes of Star Trek on!

do a search. look back at every post you've made. look at all the helpful responses you've gotten...no matter how annoying the question. don't be a douchebag. you typed a stupid post that no one likes. deal with it. it shouldn't "mess the image." (whatever you mean by that) just do us all a favor and stop posting on this thread. give up. you're douchebagedness has been revealed. now all you can do is go on with your life. find a girlfriend (or boyfriend), take up smoking, maybe even buy a puppy. it's a long road ahead. take some time to smell the roses. bake a cake. do something. just quit f*cking b*tching about how no one likes your post. no one cares.

And then my personal favorite:

No offense man... but when did you ask a question? Sounded to me like you wanted everyone to get in big circle jerk and sing songs.

LMAO!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back