• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need advice, one last time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I loved the comment about the hug! Archer, here is what I went through to be where I am today. I worked my a$$ off. I have worked three jobs at a time. I was a Southwest FA, CFI and worked as a contract pilot whenever I could. I have chased job leads everywhere I could find them. I have been discouraged to the point of quiting more times then I can count. I stuck with it though. Everyone has a story about becoming a Pro Pilot. They are all different. Some made the right steps the whole way. Some, like me, work their tails off to be where they are. There is no Golden Road or Golden Advice. By the true grace of God I am where I am today. I work in a good Corp Dept with Great people, fly a Sabre 65, my wife is able to stay at home with the boys and life is good. Good luck partner, your choices are yours and you will be the one to live with them. This is a hillarous thread BTW!

You sure did start an original and interesting thread, but hardly useful. You ask about corporate aviation, which is perfectly fine. I do too! I want to become a corporate pilot someday, so a lot of my questions are directed that way. But I also realize my place in aviation's food chain, and don't assume that because I'm on Flightinfo and smart that next year I'm going to be Captain of a 900EX (it would be nice, but let's be serious). You seem to think you are above lowly private pilots for some reason. Too good for Piper Archers. What is up with that? Why not be interesting in what you are doing now. I also don't expect to be making a six figure salary. That comes with hard work, sitting back, putting in effort and making it happen. You don't just get that handed to you.

I don't think I'm above any pilot. I only have some 50 hours, don't even have my PPL yet...how could I consider myself above any pilot?

I don't crave to fly 900EXs after a year...for many reasons. 1) It is an very complex aircraft, it's fast...and I agree with the American standards for flying...where you gotta have at least some 3 or 4000 hours to fly one of them. It' s just logical...it's a matter of safety.

That's the biggest reason. I don't think I would feel comfortable morally with innocent passengers in the back seats, trusting my skill and judgement, if I only had 1500 hours and was flying that 900EX with only 250 jet hours, split between a Falcon 50 and 20.

The second reason, less important than the first, is that I love flying small HP piston singles and twins...and small turboprops. It's just the kind of flying I like, and as I've said a thousand times, if I could make a living flying Barons or 421s...I would. But those 25 grand a year will not help me provide a good income for my family, when I have one, as I've said a thousand times as well.

So I have no problem at all flying 10 years as a pro pilot, not having touched a jet's yoke.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"disrespectful person"...first of all...I tried to be as respectful as I could against a dozen people, all against me, all disrespecting me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please. Look at the post quoted above by crash-proof. What kind of comment was that? Certainly not respectful.
It was in response to her disrespectful comment. It's one of the few ones I made...and they were under pressure, as I said, bening made fun of more than a dozen people. I had had enough. It's just normal response under the conditions.

quote:
You guys started it...all I could do is try to defend my image, to no avail it seems, as you guys can't discuss things like adults it seems, resorting to idiotic jokes.

Defend what image? We have an image that you expect to be handed a career on a silver platter. I see you as being real egotistical and snot-nosed. Why not trying to stray us away from that image, instead of defending our current one?

Well, you obviously have gotten the wrong image, and I obviously have failed to portray the actual one. I said, I don't mind working my up the ranks to the left seat of a corporate jet making some day a 6 digit income. I never said I would like to get that income, or fly such a plane, 2 years after my Commercial licence.

As I said, many times, even earlier in this post, I would love to start flying 210s or Piper Lancers with RAF or Airnet, then move on to twins such as Barons, 412s, 402s...and other such piston twins...and then, after having build those Part 135 or Part 91 hours, go up the ranks, and fly some turbine equipment...such as a Caravan or King Air...then work many years flying those...until I get those 3000 or however many hours are needed to fly jets...then start with small, old jets...like Lear 24s and the like...fly those...for crappy pay and long hours...whatever it takes...and then move on to Lear 31s...Citations....larger, faster...

I do understand it's a ladder...and a long one that is hard to climb...this message board made me aware of that...and I'm thankful for it, as I had a totally different image of the aviation industry.

But the ladder starts somewhere...and it's nice helping each other out, as I would, to help people with lower time and expeirence...or no flight time at all...get to where you are.

That's why I started this thread...wondering, if any of you experienced pilots out there knew anything about work visas, green cards and the such for foreign pilots trying to work in the US. I know I could go talk to the INS...but who best to advise you (not the word...advice, not make decisions for you, and deliver the 900EX job in a silver platter, ADVISE is the word I use) than professional pilots with experience in the field...perhaps foreign pilots themselves...or pilots who know foreign pilots working in the US...

Hope I helped you understand my point of view...

Oh, and as far as the desire and love for aviation...i've got plenty of it. I just went to the Thunder over Louisville airshow yesterday...I was equally excited by the T-6 Texas as by the F-15s on full afterburner climbing vertically into the sky.

I flew on my second solo x/c today, and enjoyed every single instant of it. I was at peace, flying at 5500 ft, in VFR weather, 20+ miles visibility...successfully going to a Class Charlie and coming back.

I love it, I really do...

Archer

Great, I love planes too. Geez, look at my dorky avatar. I almost run out of meetings or restaurants when I hear a Convair or Dc-3 overhead. No one ain't questioning your love of planes!

The whole moral of this thread is you gotta learn how to take punches, have somewhat of a sense of humor and grow a thicker spine.

Rocket science? Blah...trade your coke bottles for ray-bans.

and yes, you are solely responsible for creating one of the funniest threads on this site!!!! Be proud.

well, you enjoyed the thread, I didn't.

Let's hope its stops here, and the respect resumes.

Today there was a Citation Excel out ont he ramp...with it's two pilots by the little ladder that leads to the cabin...with a red carpet on the floor in front of the ladder...

they had their black trousers, whight shirts, golden stripes on sholders and their "ray-bans". They looked cool, and the Excel looked beautiful.

I walked past them to my Archer...and then admired my beautiful 180 hp PA28 before I flew it.

The weather was soo awesome...the feeling so great...it felt like another world up there...when I got back, and left the airport...

I really did feel at awe...thinking that just 15 mintutes ago I was at nearly 5000 ft above the surface...

Archer

i kept trying to stay away from this post but curiosity came over me..... now that I have had a laugh realizing how much time i just wasted, i realize curiosity will get me bad one of these days...:rolleyes:

A 900EX is NOT a "very complex", "fast airplane"

that C-421 you so very much desire to fly for a living is more complex and dangerous....by far....

Do you say that because of the "help" that jet pilots get from the FMS, autopilots, VNAV etc.

I tried flying a Lear 45 on FS2002 last week...engaged the FD and autopilot, told it to climb to FL450 at a 2500 fpm rate and set the speed to Mach 0.80

Well...besides the fact that it couldn't do those things...all I did is put in numbers and the thing flew itself.

Obviously it's more complex than that...

but I think that's why you are saying a 900EX is less complex than a 421.

I had a lot of trouble slowing the thing down...I would engage the spoilers...and the autothrottle would kick in and accelerate!

Archer

well, if the auto throttles are ON, and you selected .80 on the speed. You can't just throw out the spoilers and slow it down. Try resetting the speed.

It's only going to do what you tell it to do. (leave the airbus stories out of it, guys!) If you told it to slow down, it would have.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back