Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Archer

student pilot forever
I've discussed my situation on a couple of other threads, but it had mainly to do with me wondering how the life of a corporate pilot was, and asking questions about it.

I'm an Italian student, 3rd year in Aerospace Engineering in Indiana on a student visa.

My two options are to become an engineer or become a pro pilot. I would like to consider the pilot option in this thread.

If I do become a pro pilot, I would like Part 91 or 135 flying of small to medium aircraft. I dislike Part 121 flying, and flying anything bigger than a Citation X. I love small single and twin engined light piston airplanes, light turboprops and I love Lear Jets and similar small jets. That's what I would like to fly in the long term.

My biggest obstacle would be to get authorization to work as a professional pilot in the US, and know there is a large community of professional pilots (though 99% are US citizens or residents) maybe some of you can help in this regard.

I would appreciate any information on visas and green cards, and whether employers hire foreign pilots on H-1B visas for example, and later on sponsor residency.

Assuming that I can work under H-1B visa as a CFI, where could I work as a CFI? I hear FBOs/flight schools with multi engine aircraft are a must, so once you get the MEI you can get multi time.

I still got a year of school, then I'm thinking on investing money that would have gone to a Masters, on flying, on ratings up to CFI/CFII/MEI and buying some multi time perhaps.

Any help or info will be appreciated.

Fly safe

Archer

Cmon Falcon Capt, I've never asked about visas and work permits.

Give me a break

Archer

Give you a break????

No, Give ME a break.

Ever think of contacting someone, oh say the deparment of immigration and naturalization? From whom did you get your student visa???

The record keeps on skipping........

"I dislike 121 flying and want to fly PT 135 in nothing bigger than a Citation X"

You have not even started the game and confined yourself to the worst type of flying! -- not an opinion here buddy, straight facts.

Somebody take Archer out and smack the crap out of him!

up hill battle

Get your masters in something that is in demand, make lots of money buy an airplane and start building time, save your money and then come to this country to live a life of proverty for 3-10 years while trying to break into the industry, by the time you in your mid to late 30's you may have a job where you can live on what you make. This assumes you are in your early 20's at the present time. Do not get married unless she has a great job to support you. You have alot of things going against you. There are tons and will be tons of very qualified pilots who are not flying, they will get the first choice at any good jobs that show up, so you will have to settle for a smaller company. You are not a US Citizen, therefore you can not enter into Part 119 air operator's training program until that operator has gotten premission from the FAA in Washington DC. It is not hard once you figure it out, but it is a pain while you discover how to do it. A small operator will not bother with this in the hiring process, he will hire a US citizen.

SERENITY NOW!!!

LMAO Falcon Capt...you're killing me!

Archer - take everyone's advice and just go with the flow. I don't know squat about immigration policy in this country, but I do know several immigrant pilots that are out there doing their thing, and having fun. If you're still worried, go find some cute Purdue chica, turn on The Mack, and convince her to marry you. Problem solved. :p

Then stop being such a friggin' dorky engineer and just make a decision. You're overthinking this. My thought process went something like this..."Hmmm...cooler planes = hotter chicks. Less political bullsh*t. Yeah...screw the airlines!" That's all there was to it. No Excel spreadsheets. No linear algebra. Just a gut feeling.

Hey, don't step on the fantasy, okay? :D

My priorities will change once I have a family. But until then, I'm going with what feels right - right now. If I feel down the road that I've made a mistake, I'll just regroup and change course.

I'm young, and have nobody depending on me for financial support. Therefore, I have room to make some mistakes along the way. I feel that I'd be doing myself a much greater injustice by playing it too conservatively right out of the gate.

Latest resources

Back