Need advice on what to get..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Melon said:
I know for a fact the 600 will do PHNL from the West Coast with IFR reserves and average winds. I would not get one though because prouduct support is not good on the 600 from what I hear.

I would say options are:
1. G-III
2. DA-50
3. Westwind II
4. Astra
5. G-IIB

Of these the Westwind is probably cheapest in terms of operating and purchase. I would go for the G-III then G-IIB. They are what first popped into mind when I read the initial question.

Thanks. Didn't even know the Westwind II could do it. Something else to throw into the hat.

I'm supposed to present him with stuff by the end of the week. We'll see what happens!

Ill Mitch said:
Had this question posed to me, and I am following up on it because it may lead to something.

Anyway, the guy wants something that can go from the San Francisco Bay Area tp Austin, TX and also from SFO area to Hawaii. He is looking for used and around the 7-8 million mark (obviously, less is "better" according to him. Any ideas on what is out there that can do this? Thanks.
The big questions are how many people, how often, what is his operating budget and how long is he planning on owning the beast? You can't even have an intelligent conversation without knowing the above.

'Sled

Gatorman said:
Maybe one of those old GII's with the tip tanks. I think there is one or two of them out there.
Most of the G-IITT's have had their tip tanks removed and replaced with Aviation Partners winglets and actually increased their range... Those old tip tanks were so heavy and draggy that they pretty much negated the extra fuel they carried...

Lead Sled said:
The big questions are how many people, how often, what is his operating budget and how long is he planning on owning the beast? You can't even have an intelligent conversation without knowing the above.

'Sled

1. One or two persons. Occasionally 3.
2. Two trips to Texas, one trip to Hawaii is what he wants
3. "He doesn't care". The guy is old and wants to have fun during his last years. He is worth about 100 million, plans to burn thru it and give the rest to the kids.
4. He plans on owning it until he dies. He has a 3-4 years left.

Ill Mitch said:
1. One or two persons. Occasionally 3.
2. Two trips to Texas, one trip to Hawaii is what he wants
3. "He doesn't care". The guy is old and wants to have fun during his last years. He is worth about 100 million, plans to burn thru it and give the rest to the kids.
4. He plans on owning it until he dies. He has a 3-4 years left.

If the guy does not have long to live he will not want to sit on the west coast for a few days .... maybe a week or more in the winter .... while the winds die down enough to go to HI. You really need an airplane with about 3000nm range to go to HI on regular basis.

He also does not want to sit around while a pile of junk (600, WW, JunkStar ect) sits in the shop because of a MX clitch you did not find until the engines started.

I have seen Astra's and Hawker 800XP's (even a couple of A's) out in HI. They can make it OK but not with out a lot of work and nail biting. We always charted a Falcon 50 to HI when we owned our Astra just for this reason. The airplane was not designed to make the longest over water flight in the world.

Do the guy a favor tell him to get a Falcon 50 and fly it about 200 hours a year mininum. The 50 can do the mission every day and you will be flying the airplane enough to keep it out of the shop (and the crew current).

Sounds like the guy should really charter, however.

G100driver said:
If the guy does not have long to live he will not want to sit on the west coast for a few days .... maybe a week or more in the winter .... while the winds die down enough to go to HI. You really need an airplane with about 3000nm range to go to HI on regular basis.

He also does not want to sit around while a pile of junk (600, WW, JunkStar ect) sits in the shop because of a MX clitch you did not find until the engines started.

I have seen Astra's and Hawker 800XP's (even a couple of A's) out in HI. They can make it OK but not with out a lot of work and nail biting. We always charted a Falcon 50 to HI when we owned our Astra just for this reason. The airplane was not designed to make the longest over water flight in the world.

Do the guy a favor tell him to get a Falcon 50 and fly it about 200 hours a year mininum. The 50 can do the mission every day and you will be flying the airplane enough to keep it out of the shop (and the crew current).

What he said.

A G100/SPX will do Hawaii easier than a Astra Classic or SP, but you do have to watch the winds.

As much as I'm cringing as I'm typing this, if he were my friend, I'd hve him call Net Jets. What the heck, he's dying anyway.

'Sled

I would convince him that Lear's are not dangerous. (Where he gets that idea is beyond me.)

Then I would buy a Lear 60.

Dangerkitty said:
I would convince him that Lear's are not dangerous. (Where he gets that idea is beyond me.)

Then I would buy a Lear 60.

Well going to HI in a 60 is not exactly not smart :)

G100driver said:

I agree with the charter thing. In fact I have told him so. However, he wants HIS airplane with HIS interior, etc.

Island in style

GIII or GII will do the mission in style and comfort but your operating costs will be around $4.3K/hr. Otherwise spend the xtra $ now and go with the DA50 with a much lower op cost.

Semper Per Diem

Latest resources

Back