Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
Had this question posed to me, and I am following up on it because it may lead to something.

Anyway, the guy wants something that can go from the San Francisco Bay Area tp Austin, TX and also from SFO area to Hawaii. He is looking for used and around the 7-8 million mark (obviously, less is "better" according to him. Any ideas on what is out there that can do this? Thanks.

Ill Mitch said:
Had this question posed to me, and I am following up on it because it may lead to something.

Anyway, the guy wants something that can go from the San Francisco Bay Area tp Austin, TX and also from SFO area to Hawaii. He is looking for used and around the 7-8 million mark (obviously, less is "better" according to him. Any ideas on what is out there that can do this? Thanks.
Hawaii is the hard part there...

He could get an old G-II or even a G-III for that money, but the operating costs would probably kill him...

A used Falcon 50 would easily do the trick, and be much more efficient than the G series, but for a clean used one he would probably be looking closer to $10M...

An older Challenger might do the trick, you can pick up an older Challenger 600 for something in the $6M range, however not sure about the "wet footprint" factor in that going to Hawaii...

Falcon Capt said:
Hawaii is the hard part there...

He could get an old G-II or even a G-III for that money, but the operating costs would probably kill him...

A used Falcon 50 would easily do the trick, and be much more efficient than the G series, but for a clean used one he would probably be looking closer to $10M...

An older Challenger might do the trick, you can pick up an older Challenger 600 for something in the $6M range, however not sure about the "wet footprint" factor in that going to Hawaii...

Thanks,

I was thinking either the Falcon 50 or older Challenger. Was thinking even an Astra...on a good day it will do Hawaii as long as the winds aren't too bad. Wonder if an older Challenger is the same. Guess I can start with these three jets and go from there.

With the ZR Lite mod!

Of course, if this guy wants to carry any bags, he'll be out of luck. But who needs bags?

Seriously, though, the airplane for this job is the Falcon 50 or the G-III.

Hugh Johnson said:

some_dude said:
With the ZR Lite mod!

Of course, if this guy wants to carry any bags, he'll be out of luck. But who needs bags?

Seriously, though, the airplane for this job is the Falcon 50 or the G-III.

Actually brought up the Lear 36, but he doesn't like Lears because he thinks they are dangerous.

What about a JetStar II? Any thoughts?

I think JetStars are cool, personally. People I know who have flown them have nothing but good things to say.

One thing I have heard is that there is a HUGE difference between a good JetStar and a bad JetStar, from a maintenance point of view. Also, I vaguely recall that they are marginal Hawaii aircraft, if they are capable of it at all.

Ill Mitch said:
Actually brought up the Lear 36, but he doesn't like Lears because he thinks they are dangerous.

What about a JetStar II? Any thoughts?

some_dude said:
I think JetStars are cool, personally. People I know who have flown them have nothing but good things to say.

One thing I have heard is that there is a HUGE difference between a good JetStar and a bad JetStar, from a maintenance point of view. Also, I vaguely recall that they are marginal Hawaii aircraft, if they are capable of it at all.

I know one person that flies a JetStar to Europe all the time, but there are more options if the gas gets low.
Supposedly they have a range of 2400NM, it is about 2100 NM from the Bay Area to PHNL. Hmm...I guess it would be like the Astra where the winds would have to be low in order to make it.
It would be neat if he got one of those tho. I wouldn't mind. :)

Falcon Capt said:

Well, as I recall, I have not seen any 600's with a tail tank out there.

I'm no pilot and I could care less about how far a plane can fly, but I am pretty sure a 600 ain't gona do it. (I wouldn't try it any how)

Maybe one of those old GII's with the tip tanks. I think there is one or two of them out there.

If the ol' man wants to go to Hawaii, he will have to get up off of the wallet and pony up to a CL601 with the tail tank or a GIII

I know for a fact the 600 will do PHNL from the West Coast with IFR reserves and average winds. I would not get one though because prouduct support is not good on the 600 from what I hear.

I would say options are:
1. G-III
2. DA-50
3. Westwind II
4. Astra
5. G-IIB

Of these the Westwind is probably cheapest in terms of operating and purchase. I would go for the G-III then G-IIB. They are what first popped into mind when I read the initial question.

Latest resources

Back