• Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ex737Driver

Contract 2020????
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/11347386.html

Two Planes Nearly Collide In Mid-Air

Tom Murray
Katie DeLong
Michael George

MILWAUKEE - A frightening story just as we enter the busy holiday travel season. A Midwest Connect flight out of Milwaukee came within seconds of colliding with another plane in the air over Indiana on Tuesday night.

Two planes, one from Midwest and one from United, were about 15 seconds away from crashing into each other. TODAY’S TMJ4 talked to an air traffic controller who says it could happen again.

Fifty-five passengers had a close call in the air on Tuesday night, due to an air traffic controller's nearly fatal mistake.

The radar screen shows the near collision. The two planes are practically on top of each other. Close calls like this have passengers concerned.

"I think that's scary and I hope there are mechanisms in place to make sure that doesn't happen," Angela Hickey said.

Thankfully, there was a mechanism in place. A cockpit warning alerted the Midwest flight that they were about to hit another plane. The pilot made an emergency climb when the planes were about a mile apart.

Air traffic controllers say they're understaffed and accidents like this are starting to happen more frequently.

The Aurora Chicago Center directs planes from Chicago to Wisconsin to Indiana. The Air Traffic Controller's Union head says they don't have enough people.

"I think these are the calling cards of what's to come, it's not a good situation," Jeff Richards said.

The FAA says there are enough air traffic controllers working. A Midwest Airlines spokesperson says passengers didn't even notice.

"It was a very smooth transition and apparently the passengers were unaware that it had even occurred," Carol Skornicka of Midwest Airlines said.

The mistake happened when the air traffic controller removed one of the planes from his radar and forgot about it. Fortunately, the backup warning system kicked in before it was too late.

Ah, Baghdad Carol's back!

"If another airline's plane comes that close to one of ours again, we'll roast the pilots' stomachs on the gateposts of hell", announced Midwest spokesperson "Baghdad Carol" Skornica.

"And, by the way" she continued, "Airtran is still crazy, and has ordered all these planes, with no place to put them, leading to further congestion and other plagues, including locusts, hail, hellfire and eternal damnation".

Last edited:
"If another airline's plane comes that close to one of ours again, we'll roast the pilots' stomachs on the gateposts of hell", announced Midwest spokesperson "Baghdad Carol" Skornica.

"And, by the way" she continued, "Airtran is still crazy, and has ordered all these planes, with no place to put them, leading to further congestion and other plagues, including locusts, hail, hellfire and eternal damnation".

That's funny ;)

Hmmm. An RA, wow thats never happened before. Good thing the media is there to break this story out in the open.

we're on to your new corporate strategy. blocking our alley from your new gates. :crying:

Is Carol a real person? Nobody I know would make a stupid statement like that. Midwest wouldn't let someone working for them make a statement like that and not fire her, would they?

Is bubbers44 a real person? Nobody I know would make a stupid statement like that. FlightInfo wouldn't let someone working for them make a statement like that and not fire him/her, would they?

Is Carol a real person? Nobody I know would make a stupid statement like that. Midwest wouldn't let someone working for them make a statement like that and not fire her, would they?

she's not a real person, just a figment of our imagination. eat more shrooms and she speaks more and more.

It makes my skin crawl when I hear these media reports.

I had a roommate that volunteered to all the local LA stations as a free aviation consultant. He was tired of reports of single engine planes being called multi-engine planes and stalling planes in danger being confused with stalled engines. A former military pilot and current UAL pilot he had more than enough experience but after throwing water on a couple of their stories he was never consulted. The media wants a bit that will make you say "Oh my god, how can that be!!"
Know that the consultants if used at all will give them the angle they are looking for. Something inflammatory.

After all, we in aviation are out to screw the passenger and jeopardize every passenger, never mind that we are on the same plane.

Latest resources

Back