Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NDB Approaches / Holds on Mesaba interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From what I've heard, it's true. If it's a problem, I most certainly would get it sorted out prior to the sim or prior to line ops in the UP if you are hired and awarded the SF340! Gotta love those NDB approaches to mins in blizzards and thunderstorms.

Say Goodbye to Hundreds of NDB Approaches
Starting today, 216 NDB approaches will be decommissioned. Although the FAA has yet to actually switch them off the air, the decommissioned NDB stations will no longer be flight-checked, maintained, approved for use or shown on updated charts, according to AOPA. “The FAA decommissioned them after careful coordination with AOPA and the aviation community,” said Randy Kenagy, AOPA director of advanced technology. This means that the FAA “can stop spending money on something few use and will have more funds for GPS-WAAS approaches to general aviation airports,” he added. The FAA has proposed decommissioning a total of 479 NDB procedures, with the final set of procedures scheduled to be eliminated in September. AOPA told the agency that 60 NDB approaches should be saved because they provided the lowest minimums. However, the FAA retained just 35 of the 60, according to AOPA.

Very soon these darn things will be a thing of the past!

turbodriver said:
You people can't do a NDB hold?

What's wrong with you? You don't deserve to fly that jet if you can't.

Some Majors arent even allowed to fly NDP approaches, or do NDB holds anymore...but yes true that is a part of basic instrument flying

AmEagle just stopped doing them in the sim during training and for all PC checks. They're being pulled out of our jepps with each revision.

BoDEAN said:
This true? If so, have to hit the sim ASAP.

I interviewed there last February and was asked to do an NDB hold at the outer marker on an ILS on the final approach course. So yes, there was an "NDB Hold," but think about it...

EatSleepFly said:
I interviewed there last February and was asked to do an NDB hold at the outer marker on an ILS on the final approach course. So yes, there was an "NDB Hold," but think about it...

Just dont make it obvious that you have the ILS frq on your Nav radio ;)

Latest resources

Back