Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NDB Approaches / Holds on Mesaba interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I noticed quite a few NDB approaches being pulled from our last Jepps revision as well. Still doing them in the sim for PCs and RFTs however.

MM

BoDEAN said:
This true? If so, have to hit the sim ASAP.

I just finished training at Mesaba and had the opportunity to perform NDB holds in the interview, as well as in the simulator. The simulator schedule also leaves time for NDB approaches if your sim instructor wishes to have you practice them ( and you will ). The checkride ( or PC ) will entail at least one non-precision approach in some cases it will be single engine. Though it may be a LOC only approach it would be in your best interest to practice the NDB holds and approaches as well as the dreaded ARC to LOC approach or ILS. Though we don't perform these approaches often, or perhaps BECAUSE we don't perform them often enough, it would be in your best interest to get all the practice you can. When you get to the line it becomes a gamble when you might be asked to do one, and you must be prepared. If you are coming from flight instructing, then it shouldn't be very difficult. Good luck! You are about to learn the sad news that the average ground school instructor has never flown the aircraft they are training you to fly, so STUDY HARD and ask for help from the captains in your class, they will be your saving grace!

I've been at Mesaba for over 4 years and on my last PC I got to do the NDB approach and the captain did a LOC BC. Expect it in every training/checking event. As for NDBs being decommissioned, until we have gps in our Saabs(probably never) we will most likely always have a handful of airports where the NDB approach is an option. Especially in Canada.

Welcome aboard for all of our newhires!

Last edited:
Did one on my type and did one on the last PC. Mesaba is jumping into the 1990's. We now bid online and get our per diem direct deposited.

I've heard that the sim that we are using for the evals was bought from the flight school where I used to work.... Have fun with that thing... It's a true piece of work...

Mysteryofflight said:
You are about to learn the sad news that the average ground school instructor has never flown the aircraft they are training you to fly, so STUDY HARD and ask for help from the captains in your class, they will be your saving grace!

Welcome to generally most airlines. Mesaba is no different and they've been doing that for quite a while. Besides, ground instructors aren't teaching you line flying, they are teaching you the basics of how a system works. And how many failures did you have in class? (Yes, there is benefit to having a line pilot teach systems, I know. But, never gonna happen in today's penny pinching.)

Exactamundo.

Even the head training dept guys at XJ told us in my last class that they were looking to hire all outside intructors that have zero experience because they are willing to do it for way cheap.

Remember, at XJ, $afety first.

gimme a break.
There is more to getting ground instructors than $.

When brought in for an interview, virtually no line pilot wants to teach ground school. They all want to teach in the sim.

It takes about 6 months to fully train and turn out a proficient ground instructor. Just about that time a line pilot wants to go back to the line and the department has to start over. Not a very good way to keep a stable department.

Everybody is complaining about losing vacations, but taking 3-5 more line pilots off line only makes the vacation problem worse and more junior manning. I for one can do without any more of that.

You might say "yeah, but they have line experience". They do, and that is a huge advantage to eveyone in the class, but what about the instructors that don't really want to teach, they just want the extra days off, $, and be home every night. (Think for a minute. You know who they are.) Not to mention the ones who have bad attitudes and are bitchin' all class.

There have been a few excellent line pilot ground instructors. They made the training event not only fun, but one of the best experiences in my aviation career. However that doesn't seem to be the rule.

The department has learned that for the best over-all return it really does make sense to have as little line-pilot involvment in ground schools as possible.

After covering the fuel system in the Saab in less than 20 minutes one day, I asked if we were to talk about the negative g canister, hopper tanks, fuel transfer, anything that is more than the limitations in Chapter 1.......the answer was I don't think so??? Meanwhile the new hires are frantically flipping through the Saab System book looking up these new terms.

Read the slide. Questions?.....refer to the slide. Next topic is...

It is, for sure, about cost for the airline why we don't have "qualified" people teaching ground schools. I would do it if they paid me, but they won't, so I won't. It is a vicious cycle.

Latest resources

Back