Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sierra Hotel

Mudkow...SIERRA HOTEL!!!!! No matter what the REMFs say, you did the right thing. Since when does property/supplies take precedence over lives. You made the hard call (many of them) and that's what being an officer/aircraft commander is all about. Sometimes doing the right thing is hard. You are a hero (even thought you probably don't want to be called one) in my eyes and in the eyes of many others. Just ask anyone you plucked from a rooftop. Again I say...SH!

"We all want to be the guys who rescue people," Commander Holdener said. "But they were told we have other missions we have to do right now and that is not the priority."

In protest, some members of the unit have stopped wearing a search and rescue patch on their sleeves that reads, "So Others May Live."

Wah. Perhaps Cmdr. Whats His Nuts did save some lives when he was a JO. Then again maybe he didn't. Then again maybe he needs to get off his desk and suit up. Then again maybe he doesn't like to fly....

No risk, no reward....

The worst disaster in US History and this guy insists on being a toolbox....

Bravo Zulu, Sir! I hope I can be half the officer you are. Thanks for doing the right thing.

If you ever make your way into the SDF/LEX/IND area, drinks are on me.

Bravo Zulu!

Nice job guys. I truely think that sometimes the more senior people get, the more they forget that we are trained to think on our feet. You guys did the right thing and that is what is important.

"We all want to be the guys who rescue people," Commander Holdener said. "But they were told we have other missions we have to do right now and that is not the priority." If that is a correct quote, then it is the WRONG ANSWER! All that is is CYA. Below in leadership Holdener.

Last edited:
Great job MUdkow60!

Basic military 101 - you did the right thing. Showed some initiative, saved a bunch of citizens, called home when you could and got tacit permission to keep going. What in the good lord's name is wrong with that?

Knowing the staff officer mind as I do: My guess is that somebody at the space center bitched up the line about not getting more supplies delivered. Presto bingo there you have it! "Commander Deskwarmer, where are those supplies for the space center bubbas?" " Uhh Admiral, the helo crews dropped one load and now they are rescuing folks down in New Orleans." "Dadgummit Deskwarmer, if you ever want to make O-6 you had better get those crews back to hauling supplies so NASA will stay off my back!" "Yessir, Sir!!" Brief pause - "UDKOW!!! Front and center!!"

Very similar to a case with our tanker guys a few years ago that saved an S-3 out by Diego Garcia. USAF wanted to give the crew Article 15's and the Navy wanted to decorate them!

God Bless,
PHX

P.S. MUdkow, you may want to start a new identity for posting in case the powers that be start getting their panties wadded up. I'm suggesting "Helo Stud" :D

Last edited:
Man, whatever happened to flying a cargo plane filled with rubber shiat out of Hong Kong?

Matt, you commited the unpardonable sin of being more heady than your boss, who (it appears) is one of those senior officers (notice I didn't say leader) in the military who are threatened and intimidated by subordinates who are sharper and sometimes more capable than they are. Unfortunately the military seems to breed that type of senior officer, and the exceptions are the ones you really hope you get the chance to work for.

Something that everyone contemplating military service should be aware of, and perhaps not that different from civilian life, except that those supervisors in the military can have a lot of influence on your life and you just can't quit your job in the military if those in charge go after you for some reason.

I'm sure there is some more to the story which maybe someday you can share, but on the surface it looks like you did the right thing and your bosses just can't handle someone junior to them showing some initiative and doing what needed to be done. Hold your head high and sleep well at night, you did yourself, your crew, and your service proud.

Good luck with the boss.

FJ

You guys made the right call. Getting in trouble for doing the right thing. amazing..but I've been there. The BIG BOSS upstairs is your final authority anyway.

We need to put that Commander on a 120 degree roof and see if he has a change of heart. Joe Scarborough of MSNBC would eat this story up.

Keep us informed of any further developments...

You did the right thing I don't care what any %#&* desk monkey says.

-S

Mud,

I would be more than happy to call up said "CO" and tell him to either pack sand or get in the f-cking seat himself and do the job. Just let me know...

I and all other aviators salute you.

Oh, ask bozo if he would like to hear from the lucky and appreciative folks whom you expertly extricated.

Drinks on me in either ATL or PNS.

Great job,

It was busy out there. I have never seen and never again want to see anything like it again. You made a good decision and stuck to it. I will bet it wasn't the first ass chewin' you have ever gotten and I am sure that it was well worth it.

Latest resources

Back