• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navy A-6 pilot desert storm/shield

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know what's even funnier? Hopping in the cockpit with a civilian buffoon who feels as if he has to explain to you how tough his career progression has been as he describes his Embry Ridiculous college flying and then how rough it was learning to fly an RJ from point A to B for 9 hours a day. Then the clown can't even talk on the radio much less do anything but punch numbers in the FMS. Then he/she asks you what your background is and you say "all military fighter time" and their mouth gapes open as they say "oh my god man, how cool...I could have done that, but I decided to fly an RJ instead." And then you just roll your eyes and chuckle.

Does CAL's insurance even cover guys with 2000 hrs? You must impress the sh*t outta your captains.

Now get back on yer motorscooter & ride to the o club.

Last edited:
Does CAL's insurance even cover guys with 2000 hrs? You must impress the sh*t outta your captains.

Now get back on yer motorscooter & ride to the o club.

1. Unfortunately had to wait 6 months like everyone else here (but hopefully that'll change soon with a new contract).

2. More like 1300 hours mil jet time - and that's 1.0 at a time dude. The rest is civilian GA hodge podge (172, Bonanza, etc).

3. Nah, never open my mouth about my background. For some reason, they're the ones that HAVE to tell me how tough their background was from their RJ days, yada, yada. And most of them certainly don't impress the sh*t out of me.

4. Had to sell the motorscooter (wife made me), and next week we can hit the o'club. You're more than welcome to join me, first round is on me.

Have a good day.

Ok, that just reminded me of a funny exchange made during the briefing for the raid on Libya in April, '86. An A-6E pilot asks if they're gonna switch the Green anti-collision light (lower lens was green on tanker-tasked aircraft to facilitate identifying them around the ship) to a Red one for the raid.

Briefer: "No...do you plan on crossing the beach with your beacon on?"

A-6 guys did some pretty hellacious low level stuff (as did the Britts and F-111s) on nights 1-3.

Made a pretty glow to the north as I sat in watched in an M113.

18 years of playing with toy airplanes...getting ratings...going to UPT...and even getting FAR'd. But I still got to watch the greatest air campaign in history from the ground...

Thank you. Most of us do. I'm always up front about it. I'm proud ( well, sorta ) about what I've done and honestly don't give a ph**k who I do or don't impress. The ones that don't . . . . well, every career field has a tool or three who's slipped through the cracks!!;)

Oh..man...NAV/WSOs are the culprits...all along I thought it was the light grey pilots! Albie excluded, probably.

A-6 guys did some pretty hellacious low level stuff (as did the Britts and F-111s) on nights 1-3.

18 years of playing with toy airplanes...getting ratings...going to UPT...and even getting FAR'd. But I still got to watch the greatest air campaign in history from the ground...

Yeah but take pride in the fact that many younger pilots that came under your tutelage made sure our enemies got to experience the USAF first hand :)

Albie,
I remember seeing some of those guys on the TV as POWs on day one or two. It definitely gave me a little more to think about that day on the flight out to the northern Iraq border. Pretty sobering.

I also decided to re-think wearing my smiley face "have a nice day" lucky boxer shorts. Getting paraded down mainstreet Bagdad in those wasn't real high on my list of things to do in the war. :D

Latest resources

Back